Question *STABLE* NVMe - USB Adapter?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cyberjedi

Apr 4, 2010
I'm looking to buy a *RELIABLE* NVME-USB external adapter, that doesn't disconnect randomly, can keep up the close to 1GB/s speed.
So far all adapter's reviews contain frighteningly high % of reports of malfunction, random disconnects, sub-par speeds, falling to even under USB 2.0 speeds, etc.
There are 3 main chipsets in the market: JMicron JMS583, Asmedia ASM2362, and Realtek RTL9210 (no product has surfaced with the latter yet, so no REAL reviews, experiences yet UPDATE: it is on the market already).
Also ASUS has a new product, ROG Strix Arion, but there isn't enough feedback about it yet, and I mean real life feedback not just being able to run a few benchmarks, but real stress test to see if the device (adapter) can keep it up, without disconnecting or slowing down hard.
I would really appreciate any feedback from those who have GOOD experiences during stress-tests, like tons of random 4k writes with a stable speed, cloning 100's of GB-s at a stable high speed close to 1GB/s.
I know SSD's very well, so please stick to the point and don't start to educate me on how their speed falls after some writes, etc. I'm aware and this is NOT the point.
You can help if you can point me to a STABLE and RELIABLE NVMe-USB-C adapter that WORKS as expected.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
Already reported here ;)
Confirmed. So this is what firmware 2.0.9 fixes.

So what I did.

went to friwmare app folder 2.0.8 Jeyi i9 with my previous customized published ini.
Changed the following parameter of ini:
FwFileName=JMS583_0209.bin
StandbyTimer=1
Added the bin file from firmware 2.0.9 as posted above and renamed that to JMS583_0209.bin

Flashed with jeyi i9 firmware 2.0.8 included app.

Did not want to flash with firmware 2.0.9 app because of more configuration settings.

My Orico now always stays cool and disconnect every 1 minute. Will do more tests tomorrow with 3.1 Gen 2.

At the moment I give it a 9/10 rating however can go to 10/10 if benchmarks with usb 3.1 gen 2 are also good.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
That is why I flashed firmware 0209 with 0208 app. (same ID) I did not want to use JMS562 app. That solves my hesitation in flashing.

At the moment my enclosure is 44oC in standby. Goes to 47oC if waken and then reverts back to 44oC Seems better than firmware 0208 because it always disconnect if no use after a minute.

I prefer to keep this firmware at the moment.
I am reporting that my way app gives JMS583 ID same as before.

Attachments

• firmware0209.JPG
    firmware0209.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2008
whatever the hell it has inside i can confirm its working GREAT. could be better * disk is half full, plus i fumbled long in the background to find out the fkng temp software in the middle of the test, for reference the orico from an oline review at the bottom . the fideco first

ok.png

orico-atto.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
My write speeds are terrible. This firmware is not meant or designed for my orico enclosure. Will try to turn off bitlocker and recheck.
Any views?
read speed 934
Write speed 131

removing bitlocker is the same

Last edited:

Andalu

Jun 25, 2020
Here my tests with the RTL9210 chipset (only pcb without brand to connect to USB port type 'A', no enclosure):
Image 1.png Image 2.pngImage 3.pngImage 4.png

The standby mode is activated after one minute. No disconnection even if in idle. The safe-remove command does not work properly because its LED is always on (for one minute, then it goes into standby mode).
I'm still waiting for the orico enclosure with the RTL9210B.

Andalu

Jun 25, 2020
My tests were consistent low. Dont have a clue
just a month ago, the same happened to me after the firmware update to version 2.0.8, please see at #149
My latest tests for the JMS583 with the firmware 2.0.9 are good as never before but I'm not sure it will always be like this. Maybe next time I'll have the same problems once again.
A firmware downgrade would be a good thing but I don't know if it can be made. When I tried, I couldn't.

Jun 10, 2020
What is
just a month ago, the same happened to me after the firmware update to version 2.0.8, please see at #149
My latest tests for the JMS583 with the firmware 2.0.9 are good as never before but I'm not sure it will always be like this. Maybe next time I'll have the same problems once again.
A firmware downgrade would be a good thing but I don't know if it can be made. When I tried, I couldn't.
What puzzles me even more is that I get the same write disk mark speed with my 3.1 gen 1 usb port (laptop). It is like it is locked at that speed. Tried another cable I have. ----- Same results.

However my read speeds with gen 2 usb 3.1 are not as good but not bad either at 950MB/S (fimrware 2.0.8 peaked 1050MB/S)

I think this firmware solves a problem but creates a new one. Will try to downgrade. Write speed is terrible.

Attachments

• usb3.1gen1.JPG
    usb3.1gen1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Andalu

Jun 25, 2020
I think you have already compared the JMMassProd.ini used to update the firmware to version 2.0.9 with 2.0.8.
If it can be help, this is mine used in the updating:
[setting]
USBWritePerformance=0
USBReadPerformance=0
ShowRWPerf=1
WriteFileName=test.bin
ProductModel=JMS583
WRLoop=0
RWDataSize=100
EEPROMOnly=0
SupportODD=0
CheckMaxSn=0
MPVersion=1
MPSafeRemove=0
MPEEPROMToLog=0
PerfShift=1
MPPassLabel=1
MPAutorun=0
MPResetWait=30
MPSnAToZ=0
MPPortReset=0
EnBarcodeMode=0
EnKey0SafeRemove=0
EnEPPTypeC=0
EPPPowerGPIODelay=1000
EPPPowerOnDelay=30000
EPPPowerOffDelay=1000
SCSITimeout=30
[JMEXECUTE]
CapacityCustomize=0
Capacity=0
FreeSpace=3998735138816
FreeSpaceRange=0
EnFreeSpaceCheck=0
EnPartition=0
EnFormat=0
EnRWTest=0
EnEEPROMUpdate=1
EnFWUpdate=1
DiskFormat=0
DiskLabel=NVME
FwFileName=JMS583_0209.bin
FmtSecPerClus=-1
EnVenderCheck=0
EnUSB30Check=0
EnSWCopy=0
SwImgPath=
SwDstFolder=
EnFWCheck=0
EnFolderCompare=0
bAdvenceCompare=0
EnCloneProduct=0
EnUSB31Gen2Check=0
nPartitionTblFmt=0
[JMEEPROM]
TableType=3
MapToHDName=1
StrBFromHDSN=0
VenderID=152D
ProductID=0583
StringA=JMicron
StringB=USB to NVME Bridge
StringC=JMicron
String3=DD56419883893
StringAInc=0
StringBInc=0
String3Inc=1
FlashType=-1
StringMaxSn=0
EEPROMRetry=0
JMB509REU=0
JMB509WDHDD=0
StandbyTimer=5
JM539PWMode=0
ProductRevsion=0000
ODDSize=0
EnMultiSec=0
EnOver2TBMulLun=0
EnManuProdStrSourceCtl=1
EnInquiryStrSourceCtl=1
EnJMS561StandbyTime=1
EnSNfromHDDSN=0
BarcodeLength=16
[JMEEPROMVERIFY]
VenderID=152D
ProductID=0583
StringA=JMicron
StringB=USB to NVME Bridge
DiskName=JMS583
EnCheckDiskName=0
VolumeLabel=UsbDisk
EnCheckVolLabel=0
HDDFwRev=01.01V01
EnCheckHDDFwRev=0
[576PDswitch]
EnPD=0

Last edited:
Reactions: apoelistasaudi
Jun 10, 2020
The two differences we have are the
1. Serial number
2. StandbyTimer=1

reverting back to firmware 2.0.8 did not solve the write speed. Back to 2.0.9

The way I see it I have 3 steps:
1. either I should reformat the disk
2. Change standbyTimer to 5 mins and a similar serial as yours.
3. Flash firmware on USB 3.1 Gen 2 (used gen 1)

so will try tomorrow step 3 and leave step 1 as last option. Step 2 did not help.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2008
My write speeds are terrible. This firmware is not meant or designed for my orico enclosure. Will try to turn off bitlocker and recheck.
Any views?
read speed 934
Write speed 131

removing bitlocker is the same

that blows i have better numbers with my sata case 573.98 read n 532.20 write * sata 2 sata, and a bit better sata to nvme, edit using the original cable i got shit write speed with the via chipset, great numbers with a super short and fat one, maybe is the cable. edit, updated bios and now it works with both cables, it seems this is all infancy tech...

Andalu

Jun 25, 2020
Just as a little note: I have updated the firmware using a USB3.1 Gen.1 port (see image at #210).
There would be a fourth possibility (if the previous ones didn't help) that you have not tried: update the firmware using the tool included in the 2.0.9 firmware package. It's the only difference between our update operations. But, be very careful to avoid taking a bricked device.

How did you downgrade to the 2.0.8 version?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020
I did all my today downgrades and upgrades using the tool in the 2.0.9 folder.
To downgrade you need to use the ini I have posted in a previous post (I think your ini is similar to mine so I dont know why you cant downgrade).

So this step was also tested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andalu

Andalu

Jun 25, 2020
I did all my today downgrades and upgrades using the tool in the 2.0.9 folder.
To downgrade you need to use the ini I have posted in a previous post (I think your ini is similar to mine so I dont know why you cant downgrade).

So this step was also tested.
Thanks for the info. Most likely I have to re-edit the ini file.
Sorry for asking the obvious: have you checked that the trim is actually enabled? I can't think of any other suggestions.

Jun 10, 2020
I believe that bitlocking the complete drive caused this issue (even after removing) so formatting drive should resolve my issue. Will need to do some online search to verify this
-------------------
Correct.
Formatting solved my issue.
NVME now performs as it should on Gen 1 usb 3.1 Happy now with firmware 2.0.9. Back to 1min standbytimer to keep my enclosure always cool.

My rating has just been updated to 10/10 for firmware with 1min standby customization.

This will be my last firmware update unless there is a problem with bitlocker which most probably corrupted some of my nvme data

Thanks again @papapapapapapapababy for providing the latest and best 2.0.9 firmware.

To Orico support: Thumbs down.

Attachments

• formated.JPG
    formated.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: