SSd card upgrade for eMachines ET1331G-05w Desktop PC

Jack Pickles

Jan 5, 2017
I want to get a ssd card upgrade for my computer ->

eMachines ET1331G-05w Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 250U & Windows 7 Home Premium - Walmart.com

Would any of these work?

$50 - $75, $25 - $50, 3TB and higher, 600GB - 900GB, 300GB - 500GB, 1TB - 2.5TB, Desktop External Hard Drives, Hard Driv…

especailly this one ->

Refurbished: WD Elements 1.5TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive WDBU6Y0015BBK Black - Newegg.com

Here are my system specs:

Operating System

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD Athlon II X2 235 37 °C

Regor 45nm Technology

RAM

6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard

eMachines MCP61PM-GM (CPU 1) 47 °C

Graphics

L1932TQ (1280x1024@60Hz)

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])

Storage

698GB Seagate ST375052 8AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 37 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH40F SCSI CdRom Device

MagicISO Virtual DVD-ROM0000

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Any help guys? thank you for your time.

I

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
That ECS MCP61PM-GM mobo only supports SATA II, so, any SSD should work in theory, but they will be throttled by the controller.
It still will be faster than a HD.

The hiccup here is, that nvidia chipset is really old, so, you may have firmware issues, and obviously, OEMs don't test on ancient hardware, so, make sure you buy from a place where you can return it easily.

Reactions: Ranulf

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No offense, but if he's 'millenial enough', not to even put forth the effort to confim a BIOS setting that I pointed out to him after numerous handholding sessions in his other thread, what makes you all think that he can put in an SSD (and configure the BIOS appropriately)?

Jack. Just buy a new-ish Dell. Stop wasting money upgrading what was a crap PC to begin with.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That being said, if you have any PCI-E x1 slots free on that board, I would invest in an ASMedia SATA6G dual port controller card (see Syba cards at Newegg), if you wanted to hook up an SSD. Your existing mobo, being both SATAII and Nvidia, is too limiting for a modern SSD, IMHO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...152&cm_re=syba_asmedia-_-15-124-152-_-Product

This is a decent SSD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211984&ignorebbr=1p

Edit: that controller card above is the RAID one. You want the other, non-RAID one, the AHCI ASMedia controller. This one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124045p

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The problem with the NVidia nForce controllers in systems using DDR2 is AHCI compatibility. This is the trouble I had for the last server-rebuild I did almost 3 years ago with the old 680i hardware -- a spare, barely-used motherboard and spare RAM I had to work with a Q6600. And only PCI-E 1.0 slots to use for newer SATA controllers.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Best to get a whole new computer, I agree.

Jack Pickles

Jan 5, 2017
got a new camera, here's a link to the BIOS and Motherboard Pictures.

https://pix.sfly.com/4SocqW

You're right about the Ram upgrades, it was 1-5 Milimeters too short and did not work.

The power supply you said would have worked perfectly, but it was mising 1 4-pin thing that goes in the Mobo, the one you said had a 6 pin.

Also the graphics card is still a failure, except in one way. something difrent hapened this time. there was TWO Nvidia options in the control panel/hardware and sound both looks the same. one goes to my intergrated graphics card and the other crashes when clicked.

For safety sake i pulled the card out and put it back in the orgional packing.
The two Nvidia options are still there, but you're right agian, the PSU can power the unit now, so the fan still spins and otherwise still useless same ol problems as before.

The power unit i got is: Stratus 400W DPC ATX 400 400 watt max power y dream machine.
ac input ac 100-120 v / 50 hz 200-240 60 HZ

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a cheap and crappy PSU you bought. But it might suffice.

The Corsair 430CX that I suggested, was not missing wires. What probably confused you, is that it is a 20+4 and a 4+4 PSU. Meaning, that the 24-pin ATX connector, can be split into 20+4, and the EPS12V 8-pin 12V connector can be split into a 4+4, and still plug into a mobo's 4-pin ATX12V connector.

You should probably pay someone to upgrade your PC, honestly. You're making a lot of mistakes. Hopefully you're learning from them.

I don't see how, if you bought standard unbuffered desktop DDR2 RAM, how it would have been 1-5 mm too short. That makes no sense.

If, with the new PSU connected, the video card still didn't work (and I looked at your pics, there's one BIOS pic that shows the video setting, and it looks like it's set or defaulted to "PCI-E", which should work), then it's likely that the card is broken, or you're having a BIOS incompatibility initializing the card.

Edit: Do you have any friends with PCs, with sufficient PSUs, that you could test your video card in, and see if it works in their rig? Because I suspect an incompatibility with your motherboard.

Last edited:

Jack Pickles

Jan 5, 2017
I am learning, i guessing a even worse graphics card just a notch above min would work, I should take it to a shop. Might try that next. Do you know of any cards that would be compatible? And no, they all have even older machiines, some even windows ME. Know of a link of cards compatible with this motherboard? And i only got 1 ram card. I tested it in both 1 and 2 gb slots, the machine would power on. make a loud beeping noise and nothing else. I sent it back for a refund.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Honestly? That GT730 should work, at least in theory. In practice, sometimes newer PCI-E 3.0 video cards are incompatible with (especially) older mobos with older BIOSes. Your mobo BIOS probably doesn't know anything about PCI-E 3.0, for example, which can cause issues. Not always, but it can.

The only way to really determine, short of knowing assembly-language and disassembling the BIOS, is trial-and-error testing.

If the RAM made a loud beeping noise with it in, then perhaps it was defective.

Jack Pickles

Jan 5, 2017
thanks, I'll see what i can do. Were you able to tell what BIOS i have/ mabye i can find a card that goes with it. these things were made in 2010. so mabye a card in that era would work. I'll post if there's any sucess. Do you have any other ideas thatcan help me find the right one?

Jack Pickles

Jan 5, 2017
and would DDR3 v.s. DDR2 make a diffrence in graphics cards?
Did you find what exactly my model name of my PC was?
That would help.