Speculations on Blizzard's "Titan" MMO?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Sigh, another Blizzard MMO. Guess it's not surprising, but I'd much rather see work on other projects -.- .

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
Titan is just the code name for it, Diablo 3 was called Hydra. It would be cool to have a futuristic MMO. I'll probably give it a whirl as I do with all Blizzard games, but when D2 came out I dropped everything else and when D3 hits I'll be playing that for a decade.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
It's an MMO therefore it will be terrible.

not so much speculation as honest deduction

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sigh, another Blizzard MMO. Guess it's not surprising, but I'd much rather see work on other projects -.- .

Starcraft and Diablo aren't enough? Most game studios don't have enough resources to work on more than one major game at a time, and Blizzard is working on four.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Starcraft and Diablo aren't enough? Most game studios don't have enough resources to work on more than one major game at a time, and Blizzard is working on four.

The return to RTS for Warcraft, which I'm not sure we'll ever see given what's been done to that 'world.' I know any MMO Blizzard does at this point will do well for them, but those are games I stay away from - hard to do with any Blizzard title :eek:.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
I'm tired of knights, magic beings and especially military fps type games. Space is boring unless there is constant fighting which would also get old quickly. Personally, I want an epic GTAish mmo.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I'm tired of knights, magic beings and especially military fps type games. Space is boring unless there is constant fighting which would also get old quickly. Personally, I want an epic GTAish mmo.

Isn't there already one like that? Can't remember the name...

I would think a mythological Greek/Roman thing would be the only uncharted area left.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Isn't there already one like that? Can't remember the name...

I would think a mythological Greek/Roman thing would be the only uncharted area left.

To me, the greek and roman thing is too similar to the swords and knights etc stuff. Very boring/played out stuff IMO.

Athadeus

Feb 29, 2004
All that is missing is some Nazis, maybe Satan.

ss_95a23eaf328f24858a118de1a8b0f819ef85c0cc.1920x1080.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/17780/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

The year is 1942. Adolf Hitler has succeeded in resurrecting dinosaurs. The reptilian horde has trampled Europe and the Mediterranean. Can nothing stop the Nazi’s dinosaur army?

Dino D-Day is a frantic, action-packed multiplayer game that transports you to a World War II that should have been. You and your friends can battle online choosing to serve the cause of the Allied nations or the Nazis. The Allied side includes six playable characters each with unique weapons and abilities to use in combat. Gun down a Dilophosaur with your trusty M1 Garand, blast a kamikaze pterosaur out of the sky with your Thompson sub-machine gun, or toss out a dead jackrabbit to lure a raptor into a trap.

As an Axis player you will have your choice of three human classes and three dinosaur classes. Ambush your enemy with speed and stealth as the Raptor, mercilessly pound the enemy with a heavy 20mm gun as the Desmatosuchus, rampage through enemy groups as the Dilophosaur or pick up a body and throw it at an enemy for a double kill! Or if you prefer a rifle in your hand, the German soldier classes are the perfect complement to their dinosaur comrades.

You’ve played World War II games before…but have you played a World War II game with dinosaurs?

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Well....speaking of Nazis, how about a Hellboy MMO FPS? Demon like Hellboy could be a class, psychic like Abe, Pyromaniac, undead Nazi(Kroenen), etc kinda like the things in the movie. The question is whether to set it in WW2 or modern era.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Mythic Entertainment called, they said a product in that time era is not desirable by the public.

that's because the game looked like shit, not because of the time period. Which was so poorly displayed, it had more to do with the game looking like shit.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
IMO, it's not going to be about what setting the same is in, it's going to be about pushing the envelope and changing the way MMOs are played. Developers need to get away from the "target an opponent, press keys to use abilities" play style and move into a "cast spell / use ability / shoot projectile / swing melee weapon in general direction of opponent, and hope they don't dodge out of the way." Turbine did this almost perfectly back in 1999 with Asheron's Call.

An MMO with the combat system of Mount & Blade would be fantastic.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
IMO, it's not going to be about what setting the same is in, it's going to be about pushing the envelope and changing the way MMOs are played. Developers need to get away from the "target an opponent, press keys to use abilities" play style and move into a "cast spell / use ability / shoot projectile / swing melee weapon in general direction of opponent, and hope they don't dodge out of the way." Turbine did this almost perfectly back in 1999 with Asheron's Call.

So basically a Diablo 2 style targeting system.

power_hour

Oct 16, 2010
Honestly, I haven't been following this but it is an interesting question.
I suspect it will have cross-platform with smart phone support. Given their history, something with an RTS feel to it.

Perhaps a Warcraft online RTS that allows players to recruit and use WOW players and their characters in some kind of hero role. This way they can feed off each and keep the money machine printing.

Somebody mentioned a Racing MMO... oh how I would love them if they did. But they are going mass market so it has to be something they know will bring in the dollars consistently.

I am definitely curious to see what they do.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That looks like the dumbest game ever made, but the graphics on it are actually really good. I am amazingly surprised at how good those dinosaurs look for such an obviously low budget game.

By "dumbest," you must mean "awesomest," b/c that looks like one bitchin' game.

Nazis and dinosaurs? how can that possibly be bad?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

I agree that that is what titan will be like.

I don't agree that it is "fantastic" or "good" or even something I would tolerate enough to pay money to play.

I'd rather see an MMO take the opposite approach, with a true turn-based combat system. If I want fps style play, I will play an FPS. If I want RPG style play and the game developer tries to shove an FPS combat system into an RPG, I'm not going to touch it.