Discussion Speculation: Zen 4 (EPYC 4 "Genoa", Ryzen 7000, etc.)

Page 523 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Except for the details about the improvements in the microarchitecture, we now know pretty well what to expect with Zen 3.

The leaked presentation by AMD Senior Manager Martin Hilgeman shows that EPYC 3 "Milan" will, as promised and expected, reuse the current platform (SP3), and the system architecture and packaging looks to be the same, with the same 9-die chiplet design and the same maximum core and thread-count (no SMT-4, contrary to rumour). The biggest change revealed so far is the enlargement of the compute complex from 4 cores to 8 cores, all sharing a larger L3 cache ("32+ MB", likely to double to 64 MB, I think).

Hilgeman's slides did also show that EPYC 4 "Genoa" is in the definition phase (or was at the time of the presentation in September, at least), and will come with a new platform (SP5), with new memory support (likely DDR5).

Untitled2.png

What else do you think we will see with Zen 4? PCI-Express 5 support? Increased core-count? 4-way SMT? New packaging (interposer, 2.5D, 3D)? Integrated memory on package (HBM)?

Vote in the poll and share your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: richardllewis_01

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
AMD-RYZEN-8040-3-1-1200x675.jpg
This interesting. MLID theorised the minimum AI TOPS requirement for Windows 12 would be 45 TOPS. However, Hawk Point combined TOPS is only 39 TOPS from this slide. So is it Windows 12 compatible?? Anyways he did get it right about Hawk Point having 16 TOPS NPU.

Reactions: Joe NYC
Jul 27, 2020

8000 MT/s at CL40. TR platform gets better IMC and the desktop Zen 4 consumers got screwed!

^^^ Now I will wait for the posts saying I've lost my marbles :D

EDIT: Oh, totally different module type. Why can't desktop peasants use these???

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

8000 MT/s at CL40. TR platform gets better IMC and the desktop Zen 4 consumers got screwed!

^^^ Now I will wait for the posts saying I've lost my marbles :D

EDIT: Oh, totally different module type. Why can't desktop peasants use these???

Desktop Zen4 can reach those speeds too, it's just typically not worth it due to the fabric clock maxing out and so the ratio of the fabric clock to mem speed gets lower the higher you push the RAM. In the end you spend much more money on memory for the same, if not worse, performance.

Jul 27, 2020
Desktop Zen4 can reach those speeds too, it's just typically not worth it due to the fabric clock maxing out and so the ratio of the fabric clock to mem speed gets lower the higher you push the RAM. In the end you spend much more money on memory for the same, if not worse, performance.
They better fix that limitation in Zen 5.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Just AWS, but it's rather significant there.
As Graviton is in-house that may indeed not be included, not being available on the open market. It's competition, but with Amazon being able to claim or withhold any numbers it's likely even harder to quantify than the rest of the market.

youself64

Nov 30, 2023
DSL Linux Boot Time on copy.sh v86 (i5-2500K, 4GB RAM).png
Here's link for benchmarking boot times in copy.sh/v86:

Also, must include pc specs and screenshot with stopwatch + copy.sh/v86.

This is first benchmark of x86 Emulation performance (copy.sh)

I benchmarked dsl linux in copy.sh v86 boot time for me, it takes about 2 minutes to fully boot (i5-2500K, 4GB RAM). So i need to benchmark this in Zen 4 CPUs.

I am not liking this site, and requires more clearification, as it seems to be accessing hardware without consent and to me feels like its data mining.

Please PM me with more info if this is your site, otherwise i will not approve of it as there is no disclaimer when hitting that link in exactly what its doing.

Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I tested it on Windows with Chrome on various machines. I'm not sure how you wanted it measured. The uptime counter at first full paint showed:
7950X - 24 seconds.
5800X3D - 27 seconds.
7840U - 28 seconds.
7800X3D - 24 seconds.

And Mac OS with
M1 Pro - 26 seconds (Chrome), 37 seconds (Safari).

And Linux with
N100 - 34 seconds (Firefox).

It doesn't seem like a very good benchmark?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don't have an iPhone or M3 device to test, sorry.

@aigomorla I'm pretty sure it's just another JavaScript x86 emulator. See here https://github.com/copy/v86
I know but what im worried about is what the hosting site is collecting as your running the java script as its picking and detecting hardware.

If it was a non web based software, and you ran it in the confiments of your own space, then im okey, but the fact is its web based, and looks like it was data mining, which is against TOS and illegal in some states/countries, without consent.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Ooh interesting. Epyc branded Raphael is coming on AM5. Maybe a 32 core Zen 4c?