Speculation: Spring refresh for Ryzen

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
As I've posted elsewhere, I think AMD fell short of their frequency targets for the Ryzen 3000 series. A later launch than expected, statements relating to frequency challenges, Max Boost redefinition, boost issues, 3900X shortages, and now the 3950X delay from September to November, do all corroborate this. I guess they aimed for 5 GHz, but fell ~8% short.

However, TSMC is firing on all cylinders. Amongst a number of process roadmap announcements, they now offer N7P as a refinement of their N7 process on which the Zen 2 chiplet is built. N7P is compatible with N7 design rules, so it should provide a fairly simple and cost-effective opportunity to optimise existing designs.

With that in mind, is there a chance that AMD will do a spring refresh based on a faster stepping of the CPU chiplet?

1569662809984.png

Last edited:

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
3750 and 3850
Could be ported to N7P for some minor performance bump
Doubt it, but wouldn't surprise me
Afaik N7P doesn't require like a retape or anything, so yeah. Hesitate to call it a 'port' though.

That being said, if AMD are doing this, they they would be doing this to all Matisse CCDs, not just for these few parts.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Vattila

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Reason is that Zen 3 will be the start of the interposer era for CPU packaging, and it will initially be high-end and expensive, with initial capacity only sufficient to cover server (relatively low unit numbers) and high-end desktop (likewise).
I don't really think this is really feasible. AMD's slightly longer than a year cascade doesn't give enough breathing room for a new packaging approach to be inhibitively expensive at the beginning and still approach mainstream scale at the end within those months.

I don't really trust those talks of a Matisse refresh. Though those being related to the new faster Epyc chips, and all of them making use of N7P without any actual silicon level changes could make sense.

Reactions: Vattila

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
Maybe Zen3 yields are so good, thanks to EUV, that selling lower binned models is a waste of silicon and money...

Similar to the Radeon approach (Vega + Polaris), Zen2 chips might become the low end ~4500

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and Vattila

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Maybe Zen3 yields are so good, thanks to EUV, that selling lower binned models is a waste of silicon and money...

Similar to the Radeon approach (Vega + Polaris), Zen2 chips might become the low end ~4500
More like AMD know they have an absolute monster on their hands and want a month or two of being able to cash in on leadership performance with Zen 3 with their higher tier chips before releasing the lower cost (and margin) R5 and R7 later down the line.

But I highly doubt you'll see MTS mixed in with Vermeer in the 4000 series lineup. RNR sure, but not MTS.

Mar 11, 2004
I don't know that this has much to do with Zen 3 (the only aspect it does there is that Zen 3 is likely far away, like 6 months, which I think current rumors are suggesting, with the highest end 12/16 core models maybe coming out earlier). With enough production that they've likely been able to build up bins that do well enough to sell as slightly premium SKUs that they could then release to nullify Intel's offerings. If they can offer another 10% performance that would basically do that. This way they can both drop prices but keep prices the same (meaning the new higher ones take over the price of previous ones, while they drop prices on the others), and counter Intel.

More like AMD know they have an absolute monster on their hands and want a month or two of being able to cash in on leadership performance with Zen 3 with their higher tier chips before releasing the lower cost (and margin) R5 and R7 later down the line.

But I highly doubt you'll see MTS mixed in with Vermeer in the 4000 series lineup. RNR sure, but not MTS.

I don't think he's saying they'll be 4000 series chips, they'll still be 3000, but that they might keep selling/producing Zen 2, while selling Zen 3 at a premium. I think they could do that, and they did that with Zen/Zen+ then Zen+/Zen2, so it has precedent. It will be interesting to see how things go. But Zen/Zen+ they had the wafer agreement with GF, and then Zen+/Zen2 they were on different processes at different companies, so producing one didn't impact production of the other. Keeping Zen 2 might impact production of Zen 3 (or the consoles). But they might still do it to constrain production that Nvidia (and possibly Intel if they're dong GPU there).

Reactions: Vattila

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
All this might end up very confusing.
A new 3000 series refresh while the new 4000 line (renoir) releases and than some time latter zen3 also on the 4000 branding.
Too much in so little time on a company with very few resources.

We don't know when Renoir desktop is actually going to be available. Come to think of it, Matisse has to be cheaper for AMD to manufacture due to how expensive the 7 nm wafers are... and the virus has to of decimated desktop OEM demand. It's almost like why even bother. Selling Renoir with busted IGP would make sense but that might be a tough sell from a marketing perspective plus the clutter it causes.

Reactions: DisEnchantment

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
We don't know when Renoir desktop is actually going to be available. Come to think of it, Matisse has to be cheaper for AMD to manufacture due to how expensive the 7 nm wafers are... and the virus has to of decimated desktop OEM demand. It's almost like why even bother. Selling Renoir with busted IGP would make sense but that might be a tough sell from a marketing perspective plus the clutter it causes.
I don't think 7nm wafer costs w/r/t 12nm wafer costs are different enough in raw numbers to make a large difference.

7nm wafer 300mm = $7500 per IC Tech and Gartner Inc
0.09 defect density
Renoir is ~11.5 x 14 (rough sketch on my part)
309 good dies per wafer
$24.27 per 8-core Renoir die

Even if the 12nm wafers were free, I think the $25 extra for the incredible performance benefit of moving from Zen/Zen+ -> Zen2 PLUS the process efficiency/performance improvements are well worth it.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't think 7nm wafer costs w/r/t 12nm wafer costs are different enough in raw numbers to make a large difference.

7nm wafer 300mm = $7500 per IC Tech and Gartner Inc
0.09 defect density
Renoir is ~11.5 x 14 (rough sketch on my part)
309 good dies per wafer
$24.27 per 8-core Renoir die

Even if the 12nm wafers were free, I think the $25 extra for the incredible performance benefit of moving from Zen/Zen+ -> Zen2 PLUS the process efficiency/performance improvements are well worth it.

I don't mean push the Ridges, I mean cancel Renoir Desktop in favor of more Matisse. To DIY, Renoir desktop is kind of redundant. You can always release it later if OEM demand picks back up.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I don't mean push the Ridges, I mean cancel Renoir Desktop in favor of more Matisse. To DIY, Renoir desktop is kind of redundant. You can always release it later if OEM demand picks back up.
Oh, wow. I completely and totally was thinking down a side road there.

Anyway, I don't know that canceling Renoir desktop is prudent, unless they have a wafer shortage. The 3200G and 3400G seemed to sell quite well. A substantial performance boost for OEMs who build those mini-SFF and SFF builds for business slim workstations might be reason enough to push Renoir APU.

From a business standpoint if I were AMD I'd be printing as many Renoir APUs as possible and shoving them down OEM's throats when they're only costing $25 a pop to make, and provide that much performance. I'd consider selling them at-cost even. Whatever you can to get your performance and security into their computers. Because in the end, once sysadmins become familiar and comfortable with it, that's how you influence bigger purchase decisions.

A 2400GE slim client absolutely hammers the 8100T slim client in my use cases. I can't imagine what a 4400GE would do.

Of course, just my opinion, definitely up to interpretation.

Reactions: spursindonesia

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Oh, wow. I completely and totally was thinking down a side road there.

Anyway, I don't know that canceling Renoir desktop is prudent, unless they have a wafer shortage. The 3200G and 3400G seemed to sell quite well. A substantial performance boost for OEMs who build those mini-SFF and SFF builds for business slim workstations might be reason enough to push Renoir APU.

Because of the virus, OEM demand has to be way down since companies workers are at home and not at work. So even if OEMs cared, they have a large stockpile of Coffee Lake they need to unload. Be easier to get laptop sales now actually and AMD would get a higher price for it.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
With the 4000G APUs shaping up to be formidable chips, and with the ramp and widespread availability of Vermeer perhaps a long way out, could AMD be planning to align the APU and CPU model numbering going forward? Perhaps we'll have the Matisse refresh with 4000 model numbers alongside the 4000G APUs this summer, then we'll have to wait for the 5000 series a bit, perhaps launching at CES 2021, with both mobile and desktop APUs, alongside Vermeer desktop CPUs, all sporting the all new Zen 3 architecture. Doesn't sounds so bad, does it?

Matisse is doing great on the desktop, right? Or are you impatient for Vermeer? Would it disappoint you if you had to wait for Vermeer until January?

PS. Vermeer launch at CES 2021 would leave the holiday season all to the consoles, also.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
With all these leaks firming up, and it now looks like models 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT are to be revealed shortly — where is the 16-core refresh? Is there a possibility that AMD has kept the wraps on a refreshed 3950XT as well, or perhaps a new flagship 3990X, as I speculated here in the original post?

1569662809984-png.11358

Reactions: lightmanek

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I assume the Zen2+ offerings are the starting point for Zen3 clocks upon release. I also want someone to find out the rumored clocks before Zen2 was released. The leaks of Zen2+ gets very close to the clocks we were expecting with Zen2. A very impressive advancements by AMD. Perhaps a 5ghz Ryzen CPU may be a reality for Zen3.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
another example of how they back themselves into corners with the marketing nomenclature :rolleyes:

Marketing nomenclatures are often utterly stupid.

They could quite easily get around it though.

Current lineup:
R9 3950X
R9 3900X

R7 3800X
R7 3700X

New stepping lineup:
R9 3955X
R9 3905X

R7 3805X
R7 3705X

IMO, if I were running the lines, there would be no R3, R5, R7, R9. No need. Its just needlessly confusing.
Ryzen: ABCD
A - Generation
B - Tier within generation [i.e. number of cores would constitute different tier in some instances]
C - Speed within tier
D - Reserved nomenclature for respins etc

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
With all these leaks firming up, and it now looks like models 3600XT, 3800XT and 3900XT are to be revealed shortly — where is the 16-core refresh? Is there a possibility that AMD has kept the wraps on a refreshed 3950XT as well, or perhaps a new flagship 3990X, as I speculated here in the original post?

There already is a 3990X. Having an identical name would be madness