Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 170 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Don't worry, intel will still tout the superior cores in their 4 cores Tiger Lake lineup as if nothing happened.
And the silly part for me. All the current laptops are good for what I do, AMD or Intel. All my serious work is done on desktop or server CPUs. I just do email and facebook with my laptop, and only when I am traveling.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Drazick

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
This is a great time for AMD to rationalize their namig cycle: 5000 series. And don't screw up when Cezanne comes in.

I totally agree.
Ryzen 4000 desktop already here, it is Renoir.
Go to Ryzen 5000 with Zen 3 :D

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
I've been proven wrong? Go ahead and quote me and show me what I said that was proven wrong. I'll wait.

you just stated a few posts up about me not comprehending that AMD could have possibly launched both together...no, there was zero chance of that...not even a 1% chance...I've been consistent with that from the jump...

theoretically they could have launched together but that would have been a huge mistake...Lisa Su is a smart woman and saw that as well...why would you want your big Zen 3 launch to get overshadowed by Big Navi or vice versa?

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
OK, you wanted me to quote you so here it is...still don't want to admit you were wrong??

people here keep saying late 2020 for Zen 3 but I think it'll be September/October...Big Navi is rumored to be coming in October/November...so it only makes sense for Zen 3 to be released in September
On the contrary, I expect them to release both at the same time.
no way...no chance...these are huge releases, you're not going to release both together...you need to give each product its own time in the spotlight

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
OK, you wanted me to quote you so here it is...still don't want to admit you were wrong??

They've made a announcement of the launch events. No products are released yet. Both announcements are in October. If you count those as releases then your also wrong. You said September for Zen 3. Those are just announcements with no mention of when the products will be released....As in available to purchase...Maybe you guys should just call it a draw?

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
They've made a announcement of the launch events. No products are released yet. Both announcements are in October. If you count those as releases then your also wrong. You said September for Zen 3. Those are just announcements with no mention of when the products will be released....As in available to purchase...Maybe you guys should just call it a draw?

I said late September/October but that wasn't the main argument...it was whether or not they would launch together...and I was adamant that they would not...of course everything was speculation at the time but now that we know the facts, it's clear who was right...or more right...

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
people here keep saying late 2020 for Zen 3 but I think it'll be September/October...main reason being that AMD is also releasing a new generation of GPU's in late 2020 and they aren't going to release both Big Navi and Zen 3 in the same month...Big Navi is rumored to be coming in October/November...so it only makes sense for Zen 3 to be released in September

I said late September/October but that wasn't the main argument...it was whether or not they would launch together...and I was adamant that they would not...

You might have started off September/October, but by the time you stopped typing you decided on September. Maybe your actually double wrong? You said they wouldn't release both in the same month....Hmm

I'm more interested in Zen 3 at this time. I'm glad that the announcement is before BIg Navi's. Of course it doesn't guarantee availability before Big Navi. I guess they'll cover that in the announcement, launch, whatever you want to call it.

You keep switching release and launched back and forth.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
You might have started off September/October, but by the time you stopped typing you decided on September. Maybe your actually double wrong? You said they wouldn't release both in the same month....Hmm

You keep switching release and launched back and forth.

that's just semantics...end of Sept/Oct are pretty much the same thing and my point was always that it was going to be released sooner then everyone else here was saying...I saw a lot of 'end of year' meaning Nov/Dec...you know I was more right then most others here but seem hesitant to just admit it and you keep focusing on the month moreso then the main thing- that they would NOT launch together

it's no big deal...internet forum peeps seem to find it difficult to admit they were wrong...I even stated in an earlier post that if I was wrong I would be the first to admit it...

Zen 3 and Big Navi are both huge releases on their own and I highly doubt AMD would release them together...I could be wrong and if I am I'll be the first to admit it

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
that's just semantics...end of Sept/Oct are pretty much the same thing and my point was always that it was going to be released sooner then everyone else here was saying...I saw a lot of 'end of year' meaning Nov/Dec...you know I was more right then most others here but seem hesitant to just admit it and you keep focusing on the month moreso then the main thing- that they would NOT launch together
Either you want us to be specific about terms being used, in which case you'll have to admit you were wrong since the products are being announced literally in the same month, or you want us focus on the general idea of your claims, in which case I would remind you AMD communicated about the upcoming products in the same sentence and the same image. They basically started talking about Zen 3 and RDNA2 on the same day. How's that for the "spirit of things"?

amd.jpg

Reactions: Elfear

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
with oct 8 release when should we expect reviews on the zen 3

anything about new motherboards, memory etc

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
That ES that hit 4,875Mhz though...

I wonder if AMD makes it to 5Ghz?

The magical 5GHz barrier only comes into play when your underlying architecture requires it to keep competitive....PUN intended.

The alleged no compromise per core clocks and voltage control increase the odds of achieving the magical 5GHz barrier. It'll be nice to play around with, but the end results will be YMMV. I wouldn't get too hung up on the need to hit 5GHz.

I'm leaning towards you won't need to hit the magical 5GHz barrier in the end. Zen seems pretty competitive with a clock speed deficit as is.

The 8th won't come soon enough!

Good MB vendor uEFI support is more important then the 5GHz barrier in the end.

I'm leaning towards the uEFI implementation isn't the easiest thing to get right. Using my MSI X570 MB as an example the last 3 uEFI versions killed my 3800 1:1 b-die overclock ability. It'll boot up making some god awful sounds with no stability. I haven't tried the latest Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.8.1 that just dropped within the last day or two yet.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Nereus77

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
The magical 5GHz barrier only comes into play when your underlying architecture requires it to keep competitive....PUN intended.

The alleged no compromise per core clocks and voltage control increase the odds of achieving the magical 5GHz barrier. It'll be nice to play around with, but the end results will be YMMV. I wouldn't get too hung up on the need to hit 5GHz.

I'm leaning towards you won't need to hit the magical 5GHz barrier in the end. Zen seems pretty competitive with a clock speed deficit as is.

The 8th won't come soon enough!

Good MB vendor uEFI support is more important then the 5GHz barrier in the end.

I'm leaning towards the uEFI implementation isn't the easiest thing to get right. Using my MSI X570 MB as an example the last 3 uEFI versions killed my 3800 1:1 b-die overclock ability. It'll boot up making some god awful sounds with no stability. I haven't tried the latest Updated AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.0.8.1 that just dropped within the last day or two yet.

Oh I agree. I don’t think Zen 3 needs any clock speed improvements. I would be happy with the current 4.75 Ghz threshold. AMD really needs to push OEMs to deliver quality boards. However, they are only 125 MHz away (if the last ES leak is accurately reporting clocks) and it would be a marketing point for them, so I can see a bit of focus pushing for that last bit.

EDIT: I will be upgrading from my 3900X to the 16 core Zen 3 part this gen unless there is a compelling reason not to. Can’t wait! The 3900X runs just fine, but I want to put this chip in my wife’s machine and build a new system for a family member with the XT.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Oh I agree. I don’t think Zen 3 needs any clock speed improvements. I would be happy with the current 4.75 Ghz threshold. AMD really needs to push OEMs to deliver quality boards. However, they are only 125 MHz away (if the last ES leak is accurately reporting clocks) and it would be a marketing point for them, so I can see a bit of focus pushing for that last bit.

EDIT: I will be upgrading from my 3900X to the 16 core Zen 3 part this gen unless there is a compelling reason not to. Can’t wait! The 3900X runs just fine, but I want to put this chip in my wife’s machine and build a new system for a family member with the XT.

I have the 3700x and don't really need a upgrade, but I like to tinker around with my rig. The alleged higher IF clocks along with the per core clocks and voltage control are too enticing for the tweaker in me.

My son has 3600 so I'll swap in my 3700x and just resell the 3600 to recoup some of the cost.

I don't need more cores, but depending on what's available and when I might have to up the core count. I'll probably do the Microcenter run depending on the bundles at launch. Don't need a MB, but it would make selling the 3600 a lot easier. I guess the 8th will bring some clarification as far as core counts and pricing goes. Microcenter usually does full MSRP on launch with big bundle, but drops CPU price and decreases the bundle later. It might be worth waiting it out in the end?