Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 169 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
And Dr. Su and not AMD is posting the trailer. :D

Edit: The package layout shown seems to confirm that with Zen 3 there will be no major changes to the IOD + CCD topology at least on AM4.

I'll guess annonced 9/9 with 9 total skus split between cpu/gpu. Available 10/10 with a 10th hail mary jaw dropper sku....lol

Dang....I guess a pre-announcement makes me almost a fortune teller. /s

Last edited:

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018
lol this time AMD keep its secret quite well. Yet I cannot see any leaks about Zen3 and now only 1 month before release.
(Only information I heard last time is 4.9Ghz turbo for ES......and another 10% IPC)

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
These better be launch day (or week) availability if we're waiting until October for info.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
These better be launch day (or week) availability if we're waiting until October for info.

Why? Very difficult to control such launch since you get so many leaks before launch then.

Much better for AMD to have availability a few weeks later, then you don't have to provide tons of info to the whole supply chain before the event.

Reactions: spursindonesia

dr1337

May 25, 2020
The package layout shown seems to confirm that with Zen 3 there will be no major changes to the IOD + CCD topology at least on AM4.
Im not sure about this, the layout of that chip is exactly the same as Matisse down to every component. Its not impossible that they're reusing the IO die and or that the new dies have similar sizes. But I'd really think the surface mount components would be a little different.

Reactions: lightmanek

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Im not sure about this, the layout of that chip is exactly the same as Matisse down to every component. Its not impossible that they're reusing the IO die and or that the new dies have similar sizes. But I'd really think the surface mount components would be a little different.

Not that car analogies are deemed appropriate, but it's what's under the hood that counts.

Maybe Lisa's got it so locked down that not even the marketing department has access to the end products?

I'm looking forward to the announcement, reviews, rumors, leaks, etc.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Hmm. If it's impressive, maybe I'll get Warhol after all. I really wanted a 5nm Zen4 though . . .

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
so I was right on all counts...October launch and AMD is not launching both Zen 3 and Big Navi on the same day...so many people on here kept saying that they would be launching both products together

October 8th- Zen 3
October 28th- Big Navi

Yeah, you took a lot of flak for that which I don't understand. I tried to back you up but believe I was dismissed as well.

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
No, he took flak for not even comprehending the possibility they could launch together.

and you're still trying to rationalize even though you have been proven wrong...there was zero possibility they would launch together...this is not Zen+ and RDNA 1 or any other smaller release...these are HUGE releases on both the CPU and GPU front...AMD would have been foolish to tie them together and not give each one it's own turn in the spotlight

even when I said a late September/October launch and still got shouted down by the masses

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
and you're still trying to rationalize even though you have been proven wrong...there was zero possibility they would launch together...this is not Zen+ and RDNA 1 or any other smaller release...these are HUGE releases on both the CPU and GPU front...AMD would have been foolish to tie them together and not give each one it's own turn in the spotlight

even when I said a late September/October launch and still got shouted down by the masses
I've been proven wrong? Go ahead and quote me and show me what I said that was proven wrong. I'll wait.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Martimus

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I think you guys need to relax a bit. What I remember saying was that yes, they could launch on the same day, but I thought it extremely unlikely for the reasons @TitusTroy mentioned. Why settle for one day of news and excitement when you can get two? Almost never have we seen two releases on the same day. But hey, I was wrong too. I thought we wouldn't see Zen 3 until November.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I was ready to give up and build a 3700 system this week, since I had the week off. The price jumped $20 since August so I held off.

Now I wonder how long before resellers will actually have B550 or X570 boards with new bios versions that will actually boot with these new cpu's?

jamescox

Nov 11, 2009
And Dr. Su and not AMD is posting the trailer. :D

Edit: The package layout shown seems to confirm that with Zen 3 there will be no major changes to the IOD + CCD topology at least on AM4.
It is the same amount of cores and cache as Zen 2, just arranged differently. I would expect some small size differences, but the actual IO pads on the BGA cpu die package may be exactly the same. They may have enlarged the cores with some new features, but the updated process may have allowed for denser cache, so size of the cpu die may be almost the same. It may be a drop in replacement for Zen 2 package. I don’t see why they would change it right before the switch to DDR5/PCIe5. I am expecting them to use the exact same IO die for Zen 3 parts. I could perhaps see them doing some power consumption optimizations on the EPYC IO die but I doubt there would be much of a change.

The Zen 3+ (or whatever they are calling first part with DDR5) seems a bit odd though. It has been looking like they will be going to an interposer with Genoa and Raphael. Raphael may be an interposer with cpu die and possibly a Navi GPU chiplet with HBM. The in between part would probably not be on an interposer so they would need to tape out an IO die with DDR5 support that would be very short lived. It would only be for Ryzen 5000, I guess, unless they are going maintain both an interposer and non-interposer based parts going forward. There is some possibility that the upgraded IO die could do double duty as a chipset, but I don’t think those are exactly the same. It seems a bit wasteful to tape out an IO die with DDR5 support for such a limited set of products, so I am wondering what they are doing. Perhaps the interposer based parts are farther out than expected. Intel may never use the MCM packages the way AMD is currently. They are probably going to try to jump directly to a stacked die / interposer based product, so Intel will have a competing part eventually.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Zen3 will be a roflstomping across all segments, I kinda feel bad for intel and what is coming.
Its already pretty bad. They lose badly in server, HEDT, and desktop aside from gaming. And laptops are a wash the way I see it with Renoir. This looks like it will just put the nail in the coffin with gaming, and widen the gap on the rest.

Last edited: