Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

BigDaveX

Jun 12, 2014
Is bus overclocking not a thing anymore?
I think on the Intel side it became possible again with Skylake, but there's really no point in doing it considering that it's much easier to just pay a little bit extra for an unlocked CPU. And it was always possible on LGA2011/LGA2066, but again, it was pointless actually doing so given that I think there's been a grand total of one multiplier-locked CPU (the Core i7 3820) ever released on LGA20xx.

Reactions: guachi

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
DarthKyrie was so young, so full of potential. And now he is lost to the Ninjas. Have they no honor?!?

Cowards!

Not . . . really. It's been known to promote instability in PCIe devices. Especially many NVMe drives. It also messes up stability if you're using SATA connectors serviced by the SoC. If you use mobo chipset SATA ports only (or worse, you use USB storage connected through the chipset) then you have some leeway. My x370 board can technically OC bclk to 136 MHz. Not that I've ever bothered.

Nothing yet.

I guess if you consider turning 45 in 4 months young, but yes they came in and left the same comment as I was typing. I may be wrong but I did type out more than that damn ninja.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I guess if you consider turning 45 in 4 months young

On a geological time scale, sure!

but yes they came in and left the same comment as I was typing. I may be wrong but I did type out more than that damn ninja.

The problem is you're running an old AGESA version. Upgrade to 1.0.0.3AB and you'll be fine.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I know about AGESA because The_Stilt told us about it while whipping up custom BIOSes for FM2+ motherboards. So that we could run our Kaveris at full clocks on CPU and iGPU.

Speaking of AGESA updates, ASRock claims their x570 boards (well, Taichi at least; I haven't checked the others) have UEFI based on 1.0.0.3 . Is that the same as 1.0.0.3AB? They've got a beta that "improves memory compatibility" for the Taichi, but makes no mention of a new(er) AGESA version.

edit: meanwhile, x570 Aorus Master has 1.0.0.3AB:

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#pd_download

I guess that is not the same as 1.0.0.3 . So I have answered my own question.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I know about AGESA because The_Stilt told us about it while whipping up custom BIOSes for FM2+ motherboards. So that we could run our Kaveris at full clocks on CPU and iGPU.

Speaking of AGESA updates, ASRock claims their x570 boards (well, Taichi at least; I haven't checked the others) have UEFI based on 1.0.0.3 . Is that the same as 1.0.0.3AB? They've got a beta that "improves memory compatibility" for the Taichi, but makes no mention of a new(er) AGESA version.

edit: meanwhile, x570 Aorus Master has 1.0.0.3AB:

https://www.aorus.com/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#pd_download

I guess that is not the same as 1.0.0.3 . So I have answered my own question.

I checked the Gigabyte site this morning to see if I would have to update before installing Windows, sure enough, new BIOS.

I am guessing we will see a decent amount of BIOS updates in the next few months, just like the Zen launch.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I checked the Gigabyte site this morning to see if I would have to update before installing Windows, sure enough, new BIOS.

I am guessing we will see a decent amount of BIOS updates in the next few months, just like the Zen launch.

AnandTech said:
We ran our original review numbers with the latest available firmware for the MSI MEG X570 ACE motherboard last week (Version 7C35v11). On Saturday the 6th MSI had shared with us a notice about a new version coming out, which became available to download to us on Sunday the 7th, the launch day and date of publication of the review.

We’ve had more time to investigate the new firmware, and have discovered extremely large changes in the behaviour of the frequency boosting algorithm. The new firmware (Version 7C35v12) for the motherboard contains AMD’s new ComboPI1.0.0.3.a firmware.

We discovered the following direct measureable effects between the two firmware versions:

We notice a significant change in the CPU’s boosting behaviour, now boosting to higher frequencies, and particularly at a faster rate from idle, more correctly matching AMD’s described intended boost behaviour and latency.

We’re currently in the process of re-running all our suite numbers and updating the article where necessary to reflect the new frequency behaviour.

Looks like as suspected, boost was broken in at least some reviews.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I think the problem was AMD holding back their release bios. It's going to take a week or two to sort out the mess. They have been handicapping the Zen 2 processors probably to disguise their true potential.

Reactions: footballrunner800

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
IMO, while I know AMD was trying to play coy and all, this comes across as a cluster. Why would you want all reviewers to have such a hard time getting accurate numbers for your product? At this point, the Ryzens are behind Intel still in gaming per the reviews. And even if the new firmware changes that, the damage has already been done. Somewhat frustrating to see. I just don't see why they wouldn't push more mature firmware at least a week ahead of time.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a B450 and a 1600 right now and contemplate swapping for a 3600. Does the PBO work with any chipset or just with newer ones?
Do it! I've got an 3600 on order right now. I've got a B450 Gigabyte board, with an updated BIOS, that supports all the new 3rd-Gen Ryzen CPUs.

Reactions: lightmanek

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I guess if you consider turning 45 in 4 months young, but yes they came in and left the same comment as I was typing. I may be wrong but I did type out more than that damn ninja.
I'd consider turning 45 degrees in 4 month very-very slow, not sure about young though

BigDaveX

Jun 12, 2014
I think the problem was AMD holding back their release bios. It's going to take a week or two to sort out the mess. They have been handicapping the Zen 2 processors probably to disguise their true potential.
If they were trying to disguise Zen 2's true potential, they really ought to have tried to unleash its true performance before the review embargo ended, not afterwards. Makes me wonder if someone in management or marketing committed to the 7/7 launch date and didn't bother checking with the engineering team whether or not everything would be 100% ready to go.

Reactions: Lodix

Slaughterem

Mar 21, 2016
The issue with number 1 is the sizes of the I/O die and the GPU chiplet on 12nm, in order to fit all three with a decent sized GPU chiplet both dies will require a shrink in order to fit. To increase what is available in the I/O die to include a GPU chiplet along with an L4$ would require the shrink from 7EUV in order to fit a consumer platform socket.

The problem with number 2 is also a matter of package size on a consumer platform.

If AMD wanted to today, they could do either of 1 or 2 and release it on the Threadripper platform. They won't due to the costs of the platform.

AMD has already been experimenting with GPU chiplet designs for Video Cards going forward because they know that in order to continue to push things forward GPUs will have to become more modular just like Zen on the CPU side. AMD is fast approaching 2.5D & 3D stacking to start adding DRAM onto the I/O dies along with using TSMC's new tech that is similar to Forveros at Intel for packaging different chips together on 1 package.
Most of AMD's energy and resources will be dedicated to consoles for release in 2020. It would be pertinent to make consoles a mobile product and a console APU for entry level desktops. Just my 2 cents.

Slaughterem

Mar 21, 2016
If they were trying to disguise Zen 2's true potential, they really ought to have tried to unleash its true performance before the review embargo ended, not afterwards. Makes me wonder if someone in management or marketing committed to the 7/7 launch date and didn't bother checking with the engineering team whether or not everything would be 100% ready to go.
Why have only one day of review releases when you can make a portion of the review sites redo their reviews and extend the marketing cycle /lol

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
Do it! I've got an 3600 on order right now. I've got a B450 Gigabyte board, with an updated BIOS, that supports all the new 3rd-Gen Ryzen CPUs.
I absolutely will. Just waiting a couple of weeks for the bios telenovela to finish and then I will order a 3600. The ram speed article settled my question regarding RAm, I will keep my 3000 CL16 ram as it is

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
I would offer that demand was that high.

I mean, one could always order an Intel i9 9920X, i9 9900K, i7 9700K or i7 8700K as an alternative :)

Yes Ryzen 3000 demand is very high.Again as example german retailer Mindfactory, or up to now CPU sales numbers.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 600 sold

Ryzen 7 3700X, 970 sold

Ryzen 5 3600, 510 sold

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-6x-3-60GHz-So-AM4-BOX_1313643.html

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X-8x-3-60GHz-So-AM4-BOX_1313645.html

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X-12x-3-80GHz-So-AM4-BOX_1313647.html

Beobachter=observer, or number of observers or potential buyers

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Wow, 600 3900x units sold? In about a day? From one store?

I think the real issue is that you have Nvidia Lag syndrome. Upgrade to 5700xt and

I came here to run Radeon VII and chew lag. And I'm all outta lag.

Last edited:

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012