Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 167 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters
Feb 4, 2009
Is the fan even going to run for most people? It's not like the average user has a bunch of stuff hooked up via pcie. It seems more like a way to deal with edge cases where someone loads up all the slots with drives or GPUs.

Reports vary on this some say yes others say the fan can be slowed down but not off.
I think we will have to wait to see which motherboard do what with the fan speed.

Reactions: scannall

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Is the fan even going to run for most people? It's not like the average user has a bunch of stuff hooked up via pcie. It seems more like a way to deal with edge cases where someone loads up all the slots with drives or GPUs.

One board maker (MSI?) made it sound like it would run constantly. I don't think it's that big of a deal, the price of the boards OTOH could be a big deal.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Hmm, can you switch from DDR4-3333 quad channel to DDR4-3333 dual and single channel?

I don't know if AiO is going to cut it for 16c overclocking. Yeah it's got that 105W stock TDP, but still. Most AiO are going to crap out in the 250-300W territory, if they even get there.

That seems to imply that DDR4-3733 is as far as they can go with 1:1 IF ratio.

I’ll see what I can do. But it’ll probably be a few days. My kitchen is getting remodeled, between that and work not a lot of free time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

It's one of those things where nothing can really be known until reviewers and owners start working on them. For now, it seems mostly an issue of the requirements for running the new NvMe drives over PCIe4. That seems to be extremely power hungry and those drives put off a lot of their own heat during persistent work loads (something that NvME is already known for anyway, right?)

but basically yeah--probably is the case for power users making a lot of 24/7 demands from multiple PCIe4 channels and, of course, serious OC on the Zen CPU of choice.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I'm not you, but as you are already planning to replace a 3000 Zen within a year with another one, I would look at the 3700 or 3700X to be honest, maybe even the 3600 and put those savings into the 3950 or a better PCIe4 NvME SSD that will maybe be announced and released before the end of the year. At some point, the difference between those cores and clocks--and it looks like the non-X versions and especially that 3600 have that magic Zen boost ability to more or less match their more expensive X-brethren--is going to be negligible on your server/backup/whatever ITX that you have planned. And with that small case and limited cooling even with the AIO on what will be some pretty hot chips under boost, you probably want to go with efficiency, all the while saving money, and I mean really: is that 1-2% difference going to matter in the end?

Don't answer that. :D

No so I am replacing a i7 4770 itx system with a new Ryzen 3k system built from the ground up. That is happening and it's not happening with anything less than the 3800x. Then I have a Ryzen 1700 system that I will be updating to a 16c CPU. There was a small chance it would have been a TR. But the 3950x is going to go into that is also not in question. The problem is I have an issue. I am thirsty for cores and a 12c CPU in an ITX system seems like a lot of fun (can be a bit of an M). That said with the 3950 coming this year at that price. I might just go with the 3800x. Probably not, when push comes to shove, I don't think I want to wait till September to get some juicy cores. So It'll be a 3900x in the ITX system and a 3950x in my Primary PC.

As for the Jobs. The ITX system will be my Primary gaming PC and casual general computing system. The "Primary system" is my do everything else in the house system. Does my encoding work, is my file server, is my stream PC, and hosts several VM's.

Reactions: guachi

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother purchasing X570 at all. PCIe4 benefits are too marginal to justify at the moment and the next generation will like be much more refined and at better cost.

I agree, with the totally out to lunch prices most x570 boards seem like they will be commanding you are better off just going TR at this point if you need the lanes.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I agree, with the totally out to lunch prices most x570 boards seem like they will be commanding you are better off just going TR at this point if you need the lanes.

So, a x470 will work for the new Ryzen chips?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Stop making AMD fanboy arguments....I am not talking about Intel/AMD, but about the simple content of..... chipset fan and its annoying 4cm noise on desktop
I dont have a problem of paying, I have problem with the content I pay for...we all know pci e-4 is just marketing on desktop and currently 600 EUR board from gigabyte is the price to get that nice to have feature
we should be innovating with less not more power and all that xxx W CPUs with hidden TDP rating nonsense for modern lies
Intel screwed it with so called 95W tdp rating 9900K, let's wait for AMD what reviews for performance, heat, power, platform power and cooling required show
Looking back, I can't count the number of chipset fans I had on motherboards, and none made any noise ! (I could hear back then) One of the greatest motherboards of all time, the SR-2 had a fan. AMD is not the first

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009

I read last night that the mid range 570 boards should be $175ish, upper mid range $200-$250ish, then it gets crazy.
Appears the 570 boards will average $30-$40 more excluding the high end boards.
One strange thing was boards with WiFi built in appeared to carry a large premium.
Sort of strange since WiFi adapters are generally cheap and outside the corporate world does anyone want onboard WiFi?

Reactions: lightmanek

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I read last night that the mid range 570 boards should be $175ish, upper mid range $200-$250ish, then it gets crazy.
Appears the 570 boards will average $30-$40 more excluding the high end boards.
One strange thing was boards with WiFi built in appeared to carry a large premium.
Sort of strange since WiFi adapters are generally cheap and outside the corporate world does anyone want onboard WiFi?

With wifi getting faster most of my friends are now wifi only with no Ethernet networks at home, i dont understand it, ill stick with ethernet until its no longer an option.

Feb 4, 2009
With wifi getting faster most of my friends are now wifi only with no Ethernet networks at home, i dont understand it, ill stick with ethernet until its no longer an option.

Agreed, I don’t get it either provided it’s possible to get a cable to the machine.
How many people building their own machines have onboard WiFi as a must have feature? I really don’t know but I suspect most are like me, onboard WiFi screams of it being cheap and a pain in the butt.

Feb 4, 2009
Generally, as long as you don't care about PCIe4. My 450 has even had a bios update to run the new chips.

Here’s my amateur question, will the older boards get the better memory compatibility too?
Let’s assume the board can handle any extra power requirements and let’s assume it’s not the cheapest or the cheap board.

Reactions: trollspotter

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Here’s my amateur question, will the older boards get the better memory compatibility too?
Let’s assume the board can handle any extra power requirements and let’s assume it’s not the cheapest or the cheap board.

I saw an article on Techspot that said there's no way to tell yet. If not, that would entice quite a few more people to pay those crazy prices for the new boards.

I'll just be picking up the 3400g this time around, and wait for whatever APU's come out in 2020 to upgrade my board/memory.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That's not a amateur question, that's the question of the day ! I would like to replace the slowest of my fleet, an 1800x with probably a 3900x, and its on a X370Taichi.

Reactions: Drazick

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Bench by AMD at E3 reported by NBC :

csm_ryzen_9_3900x_streaming_56cdd0854e.png

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...ally-take-Intel-to-the-cleaners.423725.0.html

And by AT s Cutress :

IMG_20190610_151541_575px.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14527/the-amd-next-horizon-gaming-keynote-live-blog

It must take a lot of (bad?.) luck to shot the scene at the opportunistic time, or i guess that Lisa was standing still for quite some time...

Feb 4, 2009
That's not a amateur question, that's the question of the day ! I would like to replace the slowest of my fleet, an 1800x with probably a 3900x, and its on a X370Taichi.

Ive been trying to figure that out, I know the memory controller is on the chip but there has to be some signaling compatibility with the motherboard.

Feb 4, 2009
Bench by AMD at E3 reported by NBC :

csm_ryzen_9_3900x_streaming_56cdd0854e.png

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...ally-take-Intel-to-the-cleaners.423725.0.html

And by AT s Cutress :

IMG_20190610_151541_575px.jpg

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14527/the-amd-next-horizon-gaming-keynote-live-blog

It must take a lot of (bad?.) luck to shot the scene at the opportunistic time, or i guess that Lisa was standing still for quite some time...

Can someone explain in a simple way why so many frames are lost with intel or why so many frames are preserved with AMD?
I totally don’t understand why someone streaming video would lose so many frames broadcasting other than poor internet connection.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Agreed, I don’t get it either provided it’s possible to get a cable to the machine.
How many people building their own machines have onboard WiFi as a must have feature? I really don’t know but I suspect most are like me, onboard WiFi screams of it being cheap and a pain in the butt.
It's a nice to have feature. The AsRock boards have wifi built in on their boards more than any other manufacturer. The wifi included on motherboards is not that great. No fancy bells and whistle speeds.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Can someone explain in a simple way why so many frames are lost with intel or why so many frames are preserved with AMD?
I totally don’t understand why someone streaming video would lose so many frames broadcasting other than poor internet connection.

You can use your GPU to stream instead which doesn't hurt quality too much.

I don't know why they chose the slow preset. It creates a far bigger load with a barely noticeable improvement.

The idea of streaming using your CPU instead of your GPU while playing a game is a pretty taxing thing. Streaming using a CPU works best when dedicating a PC to do just that while the host machine plays the game. Both AMD and NVidia support streaming on their GPU's just fine for most games.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Simple they were using a software encoder a Really high detail encoder at a high bit rate. That means it needs MT CPU power. At 50% more cores at nearly the same performance per core between the two systems, the AMD one was able to do the encoding/streaming on the same CPU. When done like this on the 9900K, the system came to a crawl, the game ate so much of the CPU that the encoder/streaming didn't have enough umph to do anything.

Its a stacked example. Lowering the bit rate or using a faster pre-set might not have affected PQ. But it shows what Ryzen 1k did when compared to a 7700k and what I have been doing since I got my 4400+ in 2005. Which is using your system for more than just straight up gameplay, more cores helps. So if you are streamer who wants a super PQ high rate stream. You either have to go HDET or 2 systems with Intel, or do it on one system with a high end consumer Ryzen. What AMD demo'd just before that though was that the 3900x was neck and neck with the 9900k (which wasn't always the case for the 1800x). So it's game at pretty much the same level and do more. The 3900x and 3950x are really appearing to be no compromise CPU's. Negligible performance difference with tons more compute capability to spare. Top it off. I wouldn't be surprised considering Intel if the 3950x and the 9900KS are nearly the same price.