Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 77 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
I certainly hope you're right, but I don't want to get myself too psyched up like that. I'm still thinking June at this point. AMD did say mid 2019.

Yep, usually you have years, halves and quarters. Mid 2019 is something different and it means "1H or 2H", and it would just be "2019", or "2Q or 3Q" that doesn't have an equivalent half if made of two quarters.

My take then is release date will be Apr to Sep, so the full disclose might very well be on May 1st with launch on June 1st or around that date :>

It's obviously just my personal forecast ;)

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Don't overthink it mid 2019 means mid 2019.
Polaris was in January 2016 announced as a mid 2016 launch.
They had a release event on May 31.

Computex 2019: 28 May 2019 -> 01 June 2019

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
18th March? feck that.

I'll still be steaming from the (day) night before. :cool:o_O

Not bad, if we get details and lineup then, that's still within Q1, making for a likely early-mid Q2 release instead of what most probably assumed late Q2 or even delayed Q3 release.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
An AMD staff member clarified on Reddit that it was just a talk about game code optimizations for Zen and Zen+, and he assured everyone that details of Zen 2 wouldn't simply be as an aside to talk about game code optimizations.
Zen 2 will get its own stage as and when AMD are ready, not just because they are due to appear at any event.

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
Reactions: Drazick

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
and Ryzen 3000 will not launch too much earlier than the 10th gen Core processors.
Does that matter at all? Aside the 10th gen Core processors being rumored to offer up to 10 cores, will it even be different from the 9th gen?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Does that matter at all? Aside the 10th gen Core processors being rumored to offer up to 10 cores, will it even be different from the 9th gen?

The one difference is the closer they wait to 10th gen, the more and more likelier that AMD launches Ryzen 3k with 12 or more cores. Though as crazy as AMD is on pushing the 7nm advantage into a marketing system I can't see them holding off for 2 months just to have fun aligning the days and months with the product like that.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

If the speculation about IPC being close or equal, then more cores is not going to help much as AMD appears to be able to get up to 16 on their desktop chips.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The one difference is the closer they wait to 10th gen, the more and more likelier that AMD launches Ryzen 3k with 12 or more cores. Though as crazy as AMD is on pushing the 7nm advantage into a marketing system I can't see them holding off for 2 months just to have fun aligning the days and months with the product like that.

As someone that works in marketing, you would be surprised at the decisions made.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
As someone that works in marketing, you would be surprised at the decisions made.
Okay yeah but that would be one hell of a sell to Lisa. " Lisa, about that late Q2 release for Ryzen 3rd gen launch, what if we held back on that for 2 months, try to speed up the Navi launch (because that always goes well) so we can launch all on 7/07 for 7nm? It will be aswesome".

We know that because of validation process that Rome isn't going to ship much for sale till Q3, Q4. That the 12nm APU's are low ASP and much lower volume then Ryzen Desktop. That Radeon 7 will never be a good/volume seller. That navi when it hits is a polaris replacment and best bet is being close to Radeon 7 in performance but at a lower price. 2019 is going to be a pretty luke warm year if AMD waits to long to release Mattiase.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Okay yeah but that would be one hell of a sell to Lisa. " Lisa, about that late Q2 release for Ryzen 3rd gen launch, what if we held back on that for 2 months, try to speed up the Navi launch (because that always goes well) so we can launch all on 7/07 for 7nm? It will be aswesome".

We know that because of validation process that Rome isn't going to ship much for sale till Q3, Q4. That the 12nm APU's are low ASP and much lower volume then Ryzen Desktop. That Radeon 7 will never be a good/volume seller. That navi when it hits is a polaris replacment and best bet is being close to Radeon 7 in performance but at a lower price. 2019 is going to be a pretty luke warm year if AMD waits to long to release Mattiase.

I too doubt it, but, I also have to admit that its possible. Keep in mid that there could very well be other factors as to why it should be pushed back.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Well, if you want to be anal, "Late Q2" includes all of June. Maybe it was always going to be released at the end of June but some marketing dweeb convinced them to push it back to 7/7.

I still don't think it was ever going to be released earlier than Computex, and probably will still get announced then.

Reactions: Arzachel

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The last product I remember that tried to play cute with the launch day was the Sega Dreamcast which launched September 9, 1999 or 9/9/99. No one cared and it didn't do anything to help save the system.

Holding back any more than they need to would be pointless on AMD's part unless it means that they could ship some Navi GPUs and try to cash in on people upgrading their systems. However, as long as they can preview Navi they can probably get a few people to hold off on upgrading the GPU immediately.

Reactions: scannall

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010

Well, it seems that 10th gen Core processors will finally get 10nm process, and will be more efficient than the previous generations. The 9th gen is basically equal to the 8th gen, so Intel is probably going to show something this time.

Perhaps this is not just marketing. Perhaps the processor may take longer than May to get ready for launch.

AMD may release a 12-core processor this time, and perhaps either a 16-core. That is what rumors are saying, at least. But I doubt they will be as cheap as predicted.

If the speculation about IPC being close or equal, then more cores is not going to help much as AMD appears to be able to get up to 16 on their desktop chips.

Well, it all depends. First, AMD is marketing a similar IPC to Intel chips, and that is yet to be seen. I think it is hard to believe that AMD will do such magic, as current IPC of Ryzen 2 processors is significantly lower than the IPC of 8th and 9th gen Core processors. I am wondering whether the improvements in the architecture and the new process could get AMD to shorten this gap so much.

Anyway, 10th gen Core processors will probably improve on the IPC. So, it is likely that Ryzen 3 will have a lower IPC than 10th gen Core processors. Intel is going to release perhaps a 10-core desktop processor.

I am very skeptical about rumors of AMD releasing 16-core chips with equal IPC to Intel Core, and at much lower prices, as rumors are suggesting. If AMD really manages to match Intel in terms of IPC and consuming less power, why they would release a 16-core/32-thread processor, which is double what Core i9-9900K offers, for a much lower price?

Intel is still having problems in improving yield and supplying enough 14nm chips to satisfy the demand. So, AMD will have no problems in gaining market share; it does not need such aggressive prices if their product comes out being so superior. I doubt AMD's board would approve such an aggressive price strategy; and if they did, shareholders would not be very happy about it.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
First, AMD is marketing a similar IPC to Intel chips, and that is yet to be seen. I think it is hard to believe that AMD will do such magic, as current IPC of Ryzen 2 processors is significantly lower than the IPC of 8th and 9th gen Core processors. I am wondering whether the improvements in the architecture and the new process could get AMD to shorten this gap so much.

The very site you linked state this :

"given the IPC isn’t that much different between a Ryzen 7 2700X and a I9-9900K (as we discovered in our IPC testing late last year) "

Nice find, in the article it s obvious that the 2700X lose 1.2% IPC from 3 to 4GHz, that s due to internal latencies that increase when frequency reach the limits of the process.

OTT the "IPC" improvement published by AMD is 29.4% but this include a task (RSA) that is likely processed thanks to specialized instructions, if we weight the thing so that only the generic FP/INT instructions task is accounted we inevitably yield the expected (by me among others) 15% or so better perf/clock.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Well, it seems that 10th gen Core processors will finally get 10nm process, and will be more efficient than the previous generations.
Unless something changed recently we'll only see Ice Lake U for mobile this year. Ice Lake S for desktop as well as Ice Lake SP for servers are announced for next year. If any 10th gen Core processors for desktop arrive this year they will be still on 14nm.

kaizer777

Nov 30, 2018
The last product I remember that tried to play cute with the launch day was the Sega Dreamcast which launched September 9, 1999 or 9/9/99. No one cared and it didn't do anything to help save the system.

Skyrim launched on 11/11/11, but I doubt the date really affected their sales one way or the other. It seems pointless to me to artificially delay a release for marketing purposes, but if having that extra time means a smoother release than Radeon VII, then I'm all for it.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Perhaps this is not just marketing. Perhaps the processor may take longer than May to get ready for launch.

AMD may release a 12-core processor this time, and perhaps either a 16-core. That is what rumors are saying, at least. But I doubt they will be as cheap as predicted.

While final clockspeeds are yet to be determined from everything all the news guys got from their sources in the industry the CPU is done and the only only reason they aren't doing the normal time delay is to give the chipset/bios/drivers a chance to mature some before release.

Count me in as disagreeing with not launching a 16c CPU and count me in as disagreeing with people looking to TR prices to see where AMD prices a AM4 16c CPU. Neither of those makes sense from a sales, market share, or even common sense level. If Mattaise supports 16c it will have it at launch and expect AMD to price it competitively specially the closer it gets to Comet Lakes launch.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
While final clockspeeds are yet to be determined from everything all the news guys got from their sources in the industry the CPU is done and the only only reason they aren't doing the normal time delay is to give the chipset/bios/drivers a chance to mature some before release.

Count me in as disagreeing with not launching a 16c CPU and count me in as disagreeing with people looking to TR prices to see where AMD prices a AM4 16c CPU. Neither of those makes sense from a sales, market share, or even common sense level. If Mattaise supports 16c it will have it at launch and expect AMD to price it competitively specially the closer it gets to Comet Lakes launch.

I remember when Ryzen launched and how MB manufactures had so much trouble with their drivers and bios. So this time I'm sure they have been working hard on getting it right at launch this time.