Question Speculation: RDNA3 + CDNA2 Architectures Thread

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Can we draw a conclusion from the slide bellow that top RDNA3 sku (7950XT ???) will have same TBP of 335W as RX6950XT ???

RDNA-2023.png
Oh right this one. Yeah no, it's probably BS.

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
It has been like Q4 for a Zen4 launch quite some time, then we were down to mid September and now we are at a point where Gigabyte and all the others will showcase their X670 boards already during the next week. That means probably that it's even earlier than September.
Tha goes by the assumption that AMD will follow the precedent of the last 2 launch cycles to announced the new Zen and RDNA architectures at the same time.

Given the higher prevalence of Zen4 talk from AMD vs RDNA3 talk I think it's definitely possible that CPU and GPU announcements could be decoupled this time around.

We'll see either way tomorrow with the Computex keynote I guess.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Given that they just released the RDNA 2 Refresh a week and a half ago, it doesn't seem like the right time to talk about RDNA 3.

AMD's refreshes these days exist, IMO, as a pre-release to make the next-gen look better. They increase the price, so that the next-gen price increase won't look so bad. This gives the the opportunity to say "look how much we've increased price/perf compared to the previous gen" and "same MSRP as previous gen" (or "just over") instead of anything else - same as the 3800XT was.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Seems like dual and triple x16 slots are the new black for AM5 motherboards. Is AMD telling us that CF is coming back in the future?

My takeaway from the Computex presentation was more that there is going to be a lot of focus on DirectStorage for Radeon 7000 and that they want the entire AM5 platform to have PCIe 5 storage, even though low end motherboards will have PCIe 4 graphics slots.

This makes a lot of sense, since PCIe 4 is more than sufficient for even the fastest cards today, so unless they released low-end cards with too few lanes (Cough 6500 cough), lower end customers won't have a need for a PCIe 5 graphics slot for a long time.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
My takeaway from the Computex presentation was more that there is going to be a lot of focus on DirectStorage for Radeon 7000 and that they want the entire AM5 platform to have PCIe 5 storage, even though low end motherboards will have PCIe 4 graphics slots.

This makes a lot of sense, since PCIe 4 is more than sufficient for even the fastest cards today, so unless they released low-end cards with too few lanes (Cough 6500 cough), lower end customers won't have a need for a PCIe 5 graphics slot for a long time.
Also that, I just thought the layout was weird in regards that 99.9% of users have one video card and then maybe one or two x1 cards.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Putting a working title of an upcoming product name of the competition with a "rumored" disclaimer on a chart relating its supposed efficiency to your own unannounced upcoming product? Seems totally legit to me.

Yea that is obvious. I was just wondering if Uzzi had some more specific info than the slide being BS.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Seems like dual and triple x16 slots are the new black for AM5 motherboards. Is AMD telling us that CF is coming back in the future?

I was wondering about that as well. If AMD is going to an MCM design that uses GPU chiplets then what makes it functionally different from SLI/Crossfire unless there's a "brain" chiplet that controls the others.

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
I was wondering about that as well. If AMD is going to an MCM design that uses GPU chiplets then what makes it functionally different from SLI/Crossfire unless there's a "brain" chiplet that controls the others.

So with MCM the work distribution, what lanes run what, is all still centrally controlled. There's one input stream to deal with, and all the figuring out of how to get that instruction stream and results and those results back to where they're needed, back and forth across chiplets is done on the hardware itself. Over what needs to be a very high bandwidth, very low latency, preferably very cheap connection (thus why it's taken so long to make).

The problem with "sli" and whatever is indeed latency, in part, and bandwidth. And the fact that there's two instruction streams going to two different chips who then may have to shuttle data back and forth to each other, requiring a lot of bandwidth and consideration of latency (and complication, lots of it) over PCIE (which might be saturated at points already), or everything has to be copied out twice to both cards, meaning a lot of the benefit is lost as you can't perfectly "split the screen in half" and have one card to one half and the other do the other half.Either way, you can pay double the cost for something that is not double the performance.

Meanwhile if you split a GPU in two each half costs less than one big whole, depending on the sizes as splitting a 200mm chip into 2 100mm chips you don't save much and it might even cost more as you end up needing extra hardware for that link between chiplets. But if you split a big enough chip, like a huge GPU or a 64 core CPU or etc. into two or more chiplets then even with some extra added hardware and etc. for chiplet cost your overall cost goes down.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
So with MCM the work distribution, what lanes run what, is all still centrally controlled. There's one input stream to deal with, and all the figuring out of how to get that instruction stream and results and those results back to where they're needed, back and forth across chiplets is done on the hardware itself. Over what needs to be a very high bandwidth, very low latency, preferably very cheap connection (thus why it's taken so long to make).

The problem with "sli" and whatever is indeed latency, in part, and bandwidth. And the fact that there's two instruction streams going to two different chips who then may have to shuttle data back and forth to each other, requiring a lot of bandwidth and consideration of latency (and complication, lots of it) over PCIE (which might be saturated at points already), or everything has to be copied out twice to both cards, meaning a lot of the benefit is lost as you can't perfectly "split the screen in half" and have one card to one half and the other do the other half.Either way, you can pay double the cost for something that is not double the performance.

Meanwhile if you split a GPU in two each half costs less than one big whole, depending on the sizes as splitting a 200mm chip into 2 100mm chips you don't save much and it might even cost more as you end up needing extra hardware for that link between chiplets. But if you split a big enough chip, like a huge GPU or a 64 core CPU or etc. into two or more chiplets then even with some extra added hardware and etc. for chiplet cost your overall cost goes down.

AMD solved the bandwidth issue in the last iteration of Cross Fire. They did away with the bridge and used the PCIe bus, which solved the vast majority of issue. But then games all started to used deferred renderers which just don't work with Cross Fire or SLI.

Obviously we lack details on how AMD is going to handle chiplets. But I also highly doubt they would bank their entire future on a design where they don't deal with any of the basic things noted in your post.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
AMD solved the bandwidth issue in the last iteration of Cross Fire. They did away with the bridge and used the PCIe bus, which solved the vast majority of issue. But then games all started to used deferred renderers which just don't work with Cross Fire or SLI.

Obviously we lack details on how AMD is going to handle chiplets. But I also highly doubt they would bank their entire future on a design where they don't deal with any of the basic things noted in your post.

Besides CF/SLI why could be the reason for so many x16/x8 boards only? I will have to use a Pcie5 x8 slot for my pcie3 x1 soundcard , and then be out of expansion slots. Weird.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Besides CF/SLI why could be the reason for so many x16/x8 boards only? I will have to use a Pcie5 x8 slot for my pcie3 x1 soundcard , and then be out of expansion slots. Weird.

To me this seems similar to when a new car comes out, so the automakers only show fully loaded versions of the car. Meaning we are seeing a lot of high end boards that have everything.

Or, it could mean that however AMD solved the issues around chiplet based GPUs, also solves the issue for CF. Making multi-GPUs a thing again.

However its worth noting that the announcement article for the X570 shows a board with a whole bunch of full length PCIe slots: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14406/amd-reveals-the-x570-chipset-pcie-4-is-here

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
To me this seems similar to when a new car comes out, so the automakers only show fully loaded versions of the car. Meaning we are seeing a lot of high end boards that have everything.

Or, it could mean that however AMD solved the issues around chiplet based GPUs, also solves the issue for CF. Making multi-GPUs a thing again.

However its worth noting that the announcement article for the X570 shows a board with a whole bunch of full length PCIe slots: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14406/amd-reveals-the-x570-chipset-pcie-4-is-here
The thing is it looks like a regression, as it is only two slots and nothing else. The X570 has several slots.