Question Speculation: RDNA3 + CDNA2 Architectures Thread

Page 152 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

JayMX

Oct 18, 2022
There is a list of hazards and bugs the open source drivers workaround (Kepler_L2 and Disenchantment have posted some snippets here). While it is possible AMD may find better workarounds it seems to be based on concrete hardware problems.

It may not be unusual to have extensive errata in consumer-focused GPUs but can have a big impact if it's in important features.
However, reviews displaying 'all over the place' results (even beating the 4090 in some cases) contradict the fact of a "broken or bugged" architecture. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending AMD here. It's just that I'd rather see these architectural flaws proven rather than being speculated about.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
However, reviews displaying 'all over the place' results (even beating the 4090 in some cases) contradict the fact of a "broken or bugged" architecture. Don't get me wrong, I am not defending AMD here. It's just that I'd rather see these architectural flaws proven rather than being speculated about.
Fair enough. The example we've had of some of the problems have mainly been documented in Mesa and LLVM for AMD drivers (IIRC). Knowing how these issues affect DX11/12 implementations would be more helpful as most game are specifically targeting those API. On that score, we don't have any information yet. Eventually, some of it will come out in dev blogs or from some expert analysts.

Till then Team green will likely have the edge anyway, even though the 7900 XTX is a good card. Personally, unless pressed for a new card, I think the refreshes in 2H23 are worth the wait. I've bought enough cards that came up a bit short over the past 25 years to bother will something that *might* be buggy. Heck, I was so mad at ATI's first Radeon card that came out, that I threw it into the trash after a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JayMX

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
yeah we get it. Your a frustrated manager because people like working from home and don't like to be micro-managed. but let's be real. a gpu dev team will be spread over different sites anyway and mostly have meetings online so location doesn't really matter.
Not if the company can help it they won't - it's is well understood that people all working on a project in the same office together work better. I would expect the whole team to work in one office, and maybe ancillary things like testing to be based somewhere else.

Reactions: Joe NYC

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Personally, unless pressed for a new card, I think the refreshes in 2H23 are worth the wait. I've bought enough cards that came up a bit short over the past 25 years to bother will something that *might* be buggy. Heck, I was so mad at ATI's first Radeon card that came out, that I threw it into the trash after a year.

AMD is slow at fixing their drivers, so it's probably a good idea to wait anyway. You'll probably have a far nicer experience if you buy in 2H23. Just resist the FOMO.

I also expect the prices to come down substantially, as the 4080 doesn't seem to sell well, so the 7900 XTX is unlikely to sell well too, once the early rush is over. The price/performance just doesn't seem good enough.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Have any rumors stated when we should expect the 7800 cards? Current 6800's are drying up, and it would be odd to not have any cards at all in that part of the market.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
AMD is slow at fixing their drivers, so it's probably a good idea to wait anyway. You'll probably have a far nicer experience if you buy in 2H23. Just resist the FOMO.

I also expect the prices to come down substantially, as the 4080 doesn't seem to sell well, so the 7800 XTX is unlikely to sell well too, once the early rush is over. The price/performance just doesn't seem good enough.
Price/performance is hard to judge this far out. But, coming from a GTX 1070 - the performance uplift will be huge. I'm not likely to jump up to a 7900 XT unless the price comes down a fair bit - it's just a bit too hard to stomach for me. I've tended to buy cards in NV's *70/*80 class for many years. These *90/*900 class GPU prices make me sad :confused:

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Have any rumors stated when we should expect the 7800 cards? Current 6800's are drying up, and it would be odd to not have any cards at all in that part of the market.
N32 is supposed to come out in 2H23 just like the respun N31. I think that's all we know.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
N32 is supposed to come out in 2H23 just like the respun N31. I think that's all we know.

That would be really weird to have no enthusiast cards for the next 7+ months. Unless they are going to elect to start building 6x00 cards again. Which would be weird since they just dropped prices to try and sell all of them.

Reactions: Joe NYC

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
That would be really weird to have no enthusiast cards for the next 7+ months. Unless they are going to elect to start building 6x00 cards again. Which would be weird since they just dropped prices to try and sell all of them.
Sure does seem like a pickle from the little we know.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
I don't think they stopped making Navi 21 yet. But around this time of year they sell more.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
What would the price be if they sold the broken N32? $699? AMD might not be happy enough with the margins to bother.
Without any actual knowledge, I would not think the production costs of the N32 is substantially larger than the N21, so if they sold for the same price as the current 6900XT prices, they should make the same per card. And all the money on R&D has already been spend.

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
Allegedly desktop N33 is coming in Q2 next year.

But I don't think N21 and N24 are going anywhere just yet. 23 and 22 however may be phased out before H2, especially their mobile SKUs.

Reactions: Timorous

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
If rumors are to be believed, the hardware bug doesn't impact N32 the way it does with N31. So less of a reason to wait for a respin?

It can be more reason to wait for a N31 respin, because they can't really sell a $600 7800 XT that is nearly as fast as a 7900 XT.

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
It can be more reason to wait for a N31 respin, because they can't really sell a $600 7800 XT that is nearly as fast as a 7900 XT.
Well if the N31 respin/refresh costs about the same to make then they could very well EOL the current SKUs very quickly.

So a $600-700 7800 XT would have to contend with a much faster 7900 XT ~$900 replacement.

I don't think they're making that many 7900 XTs anyway.