Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
How do you (and others) come to this conclusion? AMD has a history keeping the best product for last. Even in this video AMD first went with 3900X, then showed the lower CPUs, and only last showed 3950X. But as a tease for an upcoming event they would show the best possible numbers of the top card? I don't believe that.

Lisa probably would have said "This isn't even our top performing GPU" if that wasn't their best card. If they had a better card, then there is absolutely no reason to not show that instead.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Of course there is: It a tease, not a replacement of an event that is still 20 days off.

Of course they won't show everything, but if they are going to bring a tease, then I am sure they brought out the best numbers they can bring out. I am very sure if they had better than 3080 numbers to show, they would have done it.

Reactions: SMU_Pony

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Of course they won't show everything, but if they are going to bring a tease, then I am sure they brought out the best numbers they can bring out. I am very sure if they had better than 3080 numbers to show, they would have done it.
And turn the upcoming event into a lame boring showcase of everything that isn't as good as the best numbers they already handpicked as a tease for it? Please.

Konan

Jul 28, 2017
How do you (and others) come to this conclusion? AMD has a history keeping the best product for last. Even in this video AMD first went with 3900X, then showed the lower CPUs, and only last showed 3950X. But as a tease for an upcoming event they would show the best possible numbers of the top card? I don't believe that.
Seriously, when was the last time AMD didn't show their best case?

Reactions: tviceman

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010

Hexus's 3080 FE number is 76 fps, not 81. 81 is an overclocked AIB version. Also as I linked above, Hardware Unboxed who is extremely reliable has the 3080 at 72 fps.

So for Gears 5, according to Hexus it would be RX 6000 is 96% of 3080 and according to HU it would be RX 6000 is 101%.

We are at the point of extremely splitting hairs if people actually think 5% performance in a game means anything.

What's amazing is, yes we are seeing AMD put out a card that can compete with Ampere and even provides a solid upgrade option to 2080 Ti owners. Weren't many people saying AMD would be lucky to even match the 2080 Ti? AMD just showed a pre-production card that looks to be trading blows with the 3080! AMD was at a 30-40% deficit with 5700xt vs 2080 Ti. Now it looks like they've completely closed the gap. Again, IF their top end card ends up 5% slower does that even matter? At that point price and power/thermals matters much more.

NVIDIA has already said Ampere supply issues will run into 2021. Everyone should be pulling for RX 6000 to do well and be widely available.

Last edited:

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Lisa said just that it's the fastest card from AMD. Nothing about absolute leadership and all that yada which make me believe that it's not going to wipe the floor with NVIDIA's top offerings. Honestly, it's really weird to even except it to do that when they have been so much behind while NVIDIA made solid performance increase with Ampere.

Reactions: tviceman

Konan

Jul 28, 2017
I still see plenty sandbagging. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

Lisa Su -
"I want to give you a small preview of that today"
"Now affectionally called Big Navi"
"Request from fans on social.....Want to see Zen 3 and Big Navi in action"
"So today I will show you a preview"

The sentences are all linked. It was made out to be clear after saying the words "Big Navi" and then leading on to show a preview of that. I think it was pretty clear.
To be clear I really hope it isn't / wasn't the "Biggest Navi"

In a call before the Zen 3 event, Radeon chief Scott Herkelman told me that AMD decided to tease Big Navi’s performance due to community demand for more information. It certainly was an eye-opening reveal.
Most importantly, Herkelman stressed that AMD didn’t state which Radeon RX 6000 graphics card ran these benchmarks. We don’t know whether these results come from the biggest Big Navi GPU, or a more modest offering. (Herkelman also said there’s still fine-tuning left to do before launch.)

Last edited:

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Today. They didnt show zen3 threadripper in cinebench mt.

Either they are sandbagging, with the RX 6000 tease, or they aren't. There isn't a lot of evidence either way.

My guess says this is the top chip, but they may squeeze out a bit more performance before they final details come out.

I seriously doubt there is another bigger chip beyond what they showed.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
Either they are sandbagging, with the RX 6000 tease, or they aren't. There isn't a lot of evidence either way.

My guess says this is the top chip, but they may squeeze out a bit more performance before they final details come out.

I seriously doubt there is another bigger chip beyond what they showed.

It could be the big navi die in a 72CU config rather than 80CU.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
After looking a bit more they are quite close on performance with what was shown, so depending on more broad performance, and depending on die size, power consumption, vram, it could turnout to be quite a good card.

insertcarehere

Jan 17, 2013
I still see plenty sandbagging. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.
Showing worse numbers deliberately in that sneak preview for Big Navi would also makes the $800 5950X paired up with it look bad by association, and this coming from an event where AMD have taken great pains to emphasize how good Zen 3 is at gaming...

Reactions: SMU_Pony

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
What no one has mentioned that could be very interesting from a technical perspective is that these Big Navi chips are rumored to have a 256-bit memory bus with normal GDDR6. I'm very eager to read about the large on-chip cache.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Lisa Su -
"I want to give you a small preview of that today"
"Now affectionally called Big Navi"
"Request from fans on social.....Want to see Zen 3 and Big Navi in action"
"So today I will show you a preview"

The sentences are all linked. It was made out to be clear after saying the words "Big Navi" and then leading on to show a preview of that. I think it was pretty clear.
To be clear I really hope it isn't / wasn't the "Biggest Navi"

Any SKU based on Big Navi's die, will refer to Big Navi performance.

If that N21 die is used from 6800 to 6900 SKUs, they could used ANY of those 4 SKUs.

Especially, when Scott Herkelmann said so, that they do not specify which specific SKU was demoed here.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Even in Nvidia's case the biggest Ampere chip GA102 still nets you two different SKUs. For Navi 2 there are three known chips in Navi21, Navi22 and Navi23 (with a Navi24 rumored but not confirmed), and depending on who you ask of Navi21 there are possibly half a dozen different SKUs of it (lol, VideoCardz seriously has been dropping the ball with its rumors as of late...).

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Seriously, when was the last time AMD didn't show their best case?

They did today with Ryzen. One of the games showed a tie, and another showed a performance regression. They compared against the 10900K instead of the 3900X/3950X. AMD isn't NVIDIA or Intel.

EDIT: Oh and assuming AMD follows the strategy they did with Ryzen, their cards will be probably around $100 less than the NVIDIA equivalents...more in some cases. If they have a 3090 competitor (I think they do, based on all the information I've seen and what information I have) it will likely be under $1,000. They will absolutely kick NVIDIA in the balls.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
They did today with Ryzen. One of the games showed a tie, and another showed a performance regression. They compared against the 10900K instead of the 3900X/3950X. AMD isn't NVIDIA or Intel.
Yeah. AMD is not like Nvidia or Intel, so they contrary to Nvidia or Intel do not jack up prices on their CPUs by 50$ using their dominant position, because they have no competition? ;)

Reactions: Tlh97 and SMU_Pony