Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 111 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I guess I don’t understand the point of doing what they did, and showing all their cards. I mean who cares about the Navi event now. It’s just a lineup show and that’s it. Here’s to hoping they have something hidden. Unless the team sandbags the FE and hopes AIB’s overcloxk it to death

Vope45

Oct 4, 2020
I guess I don’t understand the point of doing what they did, and showing all their cards. I mean who cares about the Navi event now. It’s just a lineup show and that’s it. Here’s to hoping they have something hidden. Unless the team sandbags the FE and hopes AIB’s overcloxk it to death

It's AMD PR division, what do you expect ? AMD fans at this point just kept setting themselves up for disappointment.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Even if they get near perfect scaling (90%+) doubling their CU count from the 5700XT, that will be a huge success given most other things have held solid.

Any sense of disappointment starts to creep in when you realize that AMD could have theoretically brought this level of performance much sooner (to combat the RTX 2xxx series) if they had the money to properly fund R&D on the GPU side earlier.

Better late than never through, and I hope AMD keeps up the pressure and the cadence like they have with Zen with RDNA3 late next year as a refresh.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Thank you. So you guys have only assumptions.
Yes, yes you do. You've shown time and time again in this thread that you're going to take whatever the absolute most positive light possible it is to take in favor of AMD.

Edit: The one and only thing where you don't take an obnoxiously positive viewpoint of AMD is pricing.

Reactions: SMU_Pony

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
Thank you. So you guys have only assumptions.

She stated "Big Navi" multiple times. I just don't see why they would show something weaker than the "full" card. At least we can lay any 3090 competitor hype stories to bed, no matter what.

Even if it's "just" the 72CU version, a full version would probably be around equal to the 3080, but not any faster (especially as they used a 5800X for the benchmarks). I don't remember when fan's fantasies of sand-bagging have ever been true. Obviously, I was hoping for something 5% better than the 3080, but IMO it's very unlikely now.

Reactions: SMU_Pony

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
She stated "Big Navi" multiple times. I just don't see why they would show something weaker than the "full" card. At least we can lay any 3090 competitor hype stories to bed, no matter what.

Even if it's "just" the 72CU version, a full version would probably be around equal to the 3080, but not any faster (especially as they used a 5800X for the benchmarks). I don't remember when fan's fantasies of sand-bagging have ever been true. Obviously, I was hoping for something 5% better than the 3080, but IMO it's very unlikely now.
Big Navi refers to the die. Not particular SKU. If there are 4 SKUs based on this die it can be any of those SKUs could've been used to demo this GPU.

It could've been RX 6800 - the lowest one, as long as 6900XT - the highest one. Assuming, with straight face that is the highest one, is short sighted to say the very least.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Do you have any data or evidence that shows that it is not?
I always love, when people HAVE TO have an opinion about everything, and not just think "in possibilites".

As I have said, if there are 4 SKUs based on Big Navi die, it could've been any of them. Jumping to conclusions that it was the best one, is just showing your opinion, not the truth. Im not saying it was on lower one, nor am I saying its the best.

Its one of 4 possibilities. And you guys have zero information, which one was it. Its that simple.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Yes, yes you do. You've shown time and time again in this thread that you're going to take whatever the absolute most positive light possible it is to take in favor of AMD.

Edit: The one and only thing where you don't take an obnoxiously positive viewpoint of AMD is pricing.
Yeah, always the typical: "attack the messenger".

For the third time.

Big Navi refers to the die, not the SKU. If there are 4 SKUs based on this die, which the data we have from leaks, in particular, device ID's, for those SKUs suggests, it could've been any of them that they demoed. What data do you guys have that it was the top end SKU?

Contrary to most people here, I have not once stated my own personal opinion about what it was. Because contrary to most people in this thread, I take both possibilities equally, well, possibile. It could've been the best Navi SKU, as well as it could've not been the best Big Navi SKU possible.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yeah, always the typical: "attack the messenger".
How am I doing anything that could be construed as attacking the messenger? Maybe this is a language barrier since I'm pretty sure English is not your primary language, but that's a ludicrous argument.

Konan

Jul 28, 2017
I always love, when people HAVE TO have an opinion about everything, and not just think "in possibilites".

As I have said, if there are 4 SKUs based on Big Navi die, it could've been any of them. Jumping to conclusions that it was the best one, is just showing your opinion, not the truth. Im not saying it was on lower one, nor am I saying its the best.

Its one of 4 possibilities. And you guys have zero information, which one was it. Its that simple.

It’s very easy to be completely rational inside of a speculation thread.

Based on the three game results shown today They all fit in most closely under N21 your so-called intelligence post.
1. How do you know 4 variants of N21 will actually release / or if some have been cancelled? With have 4 variant information, Yes but you where is your evidence that this is not the top variant seen today?
2. There’s been plenty of posts over the last 100 pages talking about N21 being 2x performance of 5700XT and people scaling it to the consoles. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post saying that it was more than this?
3. The highest of the three game performance results today puts it at about 41% higher than a 2080TI. That doesn’t fit into being N22. It also fits into the two time performance that has been constantly bought up.
4. The recent Reddit post a few pages back that you jumped all over has the CU count. There is an 80 then a 40... there is no 72 or 70 etc that would be a further cut “at this point in time”
5. The recent Reddit leak with the CU amounts in goes from 80 to 40 and nothing in between. They pretty much fits with the die size on the very first post of this thread
6. There has not been any solid evidence presented from any trustworthy sources that state a 72CU variant today with perf estimations. There is no 72CU or close to 80CU cut that has come in any driver leaks.

So again I’m going to simply say it’s a bad idea to continue to hype up. In a presentation where AMD is presenting everything awesome to trance Intel and then give everyone a sneak peek of what is to come, you’re going to get exactly what Lisa said, Here is a Big Navi let’s take a closer look. And what we got it’s just three games sneak peek that show it less than a 3080. That is extremely disappointing.

The quote below shows the very best target and today’s showing showed just a little bit under to make it fit exactly why are you said it would be.
0DF7DF21-374E-4127-A48E-B242C2A4E157.jpeg

I think all the evidence shows after review that what was shown today was the best they had. It was absolutely brilliant!

edit typo

Last edited:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
How am I doing anything that could be construed as attacking the messenger? Maybe this is a language barrier since I'm pretty sure English is not your primary language, but that's a ludicrous argument.
Moving discussion into "personal" space, about what you think about person that you are discussing things, is attacking the messenger. And this is what you have said, just a post ago.

• Love
Reactions: spursindonesia

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
It’s very easy to be completely rational inside of a speculation thread.

Based on the three game results shown today They all fit in most closely under N21 your so-called intelligence post.
1. How do you know 4 variants of N21 will actually release / or if some have been cancelled? With have 4 variant information, Yes but you where is your evidence that this is not the top variant seen today?
2. There’s been plenty of posts over the last 100 pages talking about N21 being 2x performance of 5700XT and people scaling it to the consoles. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post saying that it was more than this?
3. The highest of the three game performance results today puts it at about 41% higher than a 2080TI. That doesn’t fit into being N22. It also fits into the two time performance that has been constantly bought up.
4. The recent Reddit post a few pages back that you jumped all over has the CU count. There is an 80 then a 40... there is no 72 or 70 etc that would be a further cut “at this point in time”
5. The recent Reddit leak with the CU amounts in goes from 80 to 40 and nothing in between. They pretty much fits with the die size on the very first post of this thread
6. There has not been any solid evidence presented from any trustworthy sources that state a 72CU variant today with perf estimations. There is no 72CU or close to 80CU cut that has come in any driver leaks.

So again I’m going to simply say it’s a bad idea to continue to hype up. In a presentation where AMD is presenting everything awesome to trance Intel and then give everyone a sneak peek of what is to come, you’re going to get exactly what Lisa said, Here is a Big Navi let’s take a closer look. And what we got it’s just three games sneak peek that show it less than a 3080. That is extremely disappointing.
View attachment 31428
1. Rogame leaked months ago, that there are 4 SKUs for consumer market that are based on Navi 21 die. You can easily find them on his site. Here is his site, with this article: https://hardwareleaks.com/2020/05/23/exclusive-future-amd-gpu-stack-big-navi-navi10-refresh/
4. The macOS leak involves only full dies specs, not particular SKUs, because for particular SKUs, and you know that perfectly well, you need GPU BIOSes, and you cannot extract BIOSes without having the GPUs on your hands.
So yes, there were 80, 40, and 32 CU dies. But just dies. Not SKUs. Im baffled that you are using that stupid argument to prove it must be the highest SKU.

You are entitled to believe what you want. Its your opinion after all, and you are responsble for it.

But your opinion may not be a reflection of the truth. AMD could've used one of 4 SKUs(variants of Navi 21 die) for this presentation. It could've been 6800 SKU, it could've been 6900 XT, whatever. Any of those possibilities are equally, well, possible at this point.

If anyone asks me? I believe AMD demoed 72 CU version.

Konan

Jul 28, 2017
Yep Rogame said 4 N21 SKUs and I believe.
I’m just stating that I believe at what we saw today was probably the best one.

I also acknowledge that it could not be, going off the information that we have today but it looks like it is the case. I would like that assumption to be wrong. There’s also the possibility of a 20th anniversary version that is a bit better

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
Yep Rogame said 4 N21 SKUs and I believe.
I’m just stating that I believe at what we saw today was probably the best one.

I also acknowledge that it could not be, going off the information that we have today but it looks like it is the case. I would like that assumption to be wrong. There’s also the possibility of a 20th anniversary version that is a bit better
Its simple. All we have is data from the demo.

But we have zero clue which GPU SKU it was. COME ON AMD. SPILL THE BEANS!