Speculation: Intel will become fabless

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

With the loss of its manufacturing lead, will Intel become fabless?

• Yes, Intel is a product designer at heart, and they will seek a more flexible fabless model.

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • No, manufacturing is integral to Intel, and they will continue to invest to stay competitive.

Votes: 145 86.8%

• Total voters

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
They may still go fabless. If they can create a viable foundry business, they might spin it off and become its largest customer, like AMD did with GF.
I think at most, IFS will become wholly owned subsidiary business of Intel. AMD was forced to spinoff GF just to survive after all.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Vattila

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
I think at most, IFS will become wholly owned subsidiary business of Intel.
Now we have Intel co-investing in fabs with partners with a 51/49 percent ownership model. I think this development is a big step toward a fully independent IFS, effectively splitting Intel into independent design and manufacture businesses. As I may have stated previously, I think independence is needed to gain full support from the industry (and governments), and hence necessary for the success of IFS.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Now we have Intel co-investing in fabs with partners with a 51/49 percent ownership model. I think this development is a big step toward a fully independent IFS, effectively splitting Intel into independent design and manufacture businesses. As I may have stated previously, I think independence is needed to gain full support from the industry (and governments), and hence necessary for the success of IFS.

Nah, I think it is a bit premature to assume Intel will spin off their IFS. It may enable Intel to get more fund out of Chips Act by inviting another company in the mix, and overall less money out of their own pocket by getting outside investment.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Mixing threads here.

This might also be a good way in freeing resources to continue with the client GPU project. We really want GPUs, but how do we fund it with next few years of reduced revenue.

Doug S

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2020
Nah, I think it is a bit premature to assume Intel will spin off their IFS. It may enable Intel to get more fund out of Chips Act by inviting another company in the mix, and overall less money out of their own pocket by getting outside investment.
Interest rates are going up, so maybe instead of borrowing money for capital projects they feel it is better to take on partners in some cases?

I agree it is an interesting development, and if we see this become their model for new fabs going forward I think going fabless becomes inevitable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY