• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Speculation: Intel will become fabless

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

With the loss of its manufacturing lead, will Intel become fabless?

• Yes, Intel is a product designer at heart, and they will seek a more flexible fabless model.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • No, manufacturing is integral to Intel, and they will continue to invest to stay competitive.

Votes: 134 87.0%

• Total voters

moinmoin

Platinum Member
Jun 1, 2017
Alder Lake S is also expected very late this year into early next year.
I see...

Rumors are Sapphire Rapids will only be for the high end and that Ice Lake Server is going to stay on the market for awhile.
So just covering the top die, with the rest of the line up just being refreshes of the previous gen?

Years ago Sapphire Rapids was introduced to me as the new architecture that would finally overhaul the whole Core design.

Already having low expectations I'm surprised at myself still ending up being disappointed of Intel. This is not the competition I want!

Reactions: beginner99

jpiniero

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2010
So just covering the top die, with the rest of the line up just being refreshes of the previous gen?
Based upon the leaked picture of it, it might be that way because it's like Zen 1 Epyc where you need all 4 chiplets. Maybe you will also get an HEDT with 2 chiplets. The chiplets are huge too so it's a lot of silicon.

The "revolutionary" core (Ocean Cove) was cancelled a long time ago. Never got leaked as to why although one theory I have is that Smeltdown made it impractical.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Rumors are Sapphire Rapids will only be for the high end and that Ice Lake Server is going to stay on the market for awhile.
That doesn't make any sense. Intel is barely shipping Ice Lake-SP at this point. Unless they're going to seriously ramp up production of 10nm+ or port Ice Lake-SP to 10SF, something else has got to give.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Why stop at SF? Why not continue to 10esf?
Intel hasn't shipped anything using 10SFE yet so . . . there's a lot we don't know. All that we know at this point is that Intel has struggled to bring any meaningful number of Ice Lake-SP CPUs to market on 10nm+. If they need to up yields and get product out the door to cover for delays to Sapphire Rapids, then a "proven" node which has produced millions of 4c Tiger Lake-U dice might be the safest bet they have. We also don't know how freely Intel can move fab lines from 10nm+ to 10SF to 10SFE, or if it can be done at all without major retooling. Using 10SFE might cut into Alder Lake production (and vice versa).

ASK THE COMMUNITY