Speaking of gun control...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Also, I said nothing about curtailing anyone's freedom. My grandfather has hunted his whole life. Why would I take that away from him? I have plenty of friends who enjoy going to the range and shooting. I'm not out to stop them either.

No, I just want some honesty.

Your freedom-hating bogey-man is somewhere else. He ain't me.
Fair enough, but "Guns are toys" implies "guns are unnecessary" which leads inexorably to "we should remove these toys because they aren't needed and they are killing our children". In reality, guns are tools, not toys, or at least not past the point that a car above basic sedan and a computer that plays high level video games are toys. We all have our preferred hobbies, and they all waste resources and present some danger. If guns are a more potentially deadly hobby than most, guns are also one of the few hobbies that will keep you alive if a murderer bursts in. Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Fair enough, but "Guns are toys" implies "guns are unnecessary" which leads inexorably to "we should remove these toys because they aren't needed and they are killing our children". In reality, guns are tools, not toys, or at least not past the point that a car above basic sedan and a computer that plays high level video games are toys. We all have our preferred hobbies, and they all waste resources and present some danger. If guns are a more potentially deadly hobby than most, guns are also one of the few hobbies that will keep you alive if a murderer bursts in. Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

I doubt a gun is going to keep someone alive if a murderer bursts in... but whatever helps you sleep at night.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Theres also something about American society that just makes you think that noone gives a shit about you here. Every man for himself. This is a cut throat society and people are selfish and cold. Its easy to see how people can say "fuck this country and everyone in it" and go on a shooting rampage if you want real honesty.
The youth in this country get meaner and colder every generation toward their peers. The lack of parenting due to both parents having to work their asses off like slaves just to make ends meet. There is no time for parenting anymore. People are too busy trying to fucking survive.
Stressed out parents, poor economy, cut throat attitudes, every man for himself, as long as I get mine everything is fine but fuck you and yours, big businesses who will destroy hundreds of families for a little more profit, a health care system that kicks families out of their homes, the elderly and mentally unhealthy being left out in the cold to fend for themselves, a medical system that thrives and keeping people addicted ET FUCKING CETERA.
Democracy is not the problem, its fucking no holds barred capitalism and all the selfish, cut throat shit that goes with it. Profit at every one's expense but your own. The law of the jungle. Only the strong survive. Fuck you and everything your pathetic ass stands for as long as I get mine and I live a good life.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
Hm... some people are turning their guns in for gift cards

Though this won't stop the violence, it's commendable to see some taking the intiative to do what they can. :thumbsup:

Considering legally purchased, legitimate rifles and handguns are almost all over $100 in value in a very liquid market, I would not be surprised if the majority of guns turned in here for a $50 gift card were stolen or otherwise illegal.

In other words, it probably got a lot more illegal guns off the street than legal guns.

On the other hand, this is essentially a drive-through, government-backed fence for stolen guns. I wonder how many legally-owned guns are stolen just so they can be cashed in at such a "buyback."

Hence, my opinion is "buybacks" do encourage illegal guns to be turned in, but encourages theft of legal guns. However, it is spun by the media to appear that legal gun owners would happily give up their guns for a steak dinner. Moreover, the name "buyback" implies some opinion that all guns should inherently be controlled by the state.

If you have the balls to go an do a "buyback" and claim it's to reduce crime, at least pay fair market value for what you're "buying back."

Last edited:

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Theres also something about American society that just makes you think that noone gives a shit about you here. Every man for himself. This is a cut throat society and people are selfish and cold. Its easy to see how people can say "fuck this country and everyone in it" and go on a shooting rampage if you want real honesty.
The youth in this country get meaner and colder every generation toward their peers. The lack of parenting due to both parents having to work their asses off like slaves just to make ends meet. There is no time for parenting anymore. People are too busy trying to fucking survive.
Stressed out parents, poor economy, cut throat attitudes, every man for himself, as long as I get mine everything is fine but fuck you and yours, big businesses who will destroy hundreds of families for a little more profit, a health care system that kicks families out of their homes, the elderly and mentally unhealthy being left out in the cold to fend for themselves, a medical system that thrives and keeping people addicted ET FUCKING CETERA.
Democracy is not the problem, its fucking no holds barred capitalism and all the selfish, cut throat shit that goes with it. Profit at every one's expense but your own. The law of the jungle. Only the strong survive. Fuck you and everything your pathetic ass stands for as long as I get mine and I live a good life.

What a load of horseshit. It isn't that hard to work your ass off and still be a good parent.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Considering legally purchased, legitimate rifles and handguns are almost all over $100 in value in a very liquid market, I would not be surprised if the majority of guns turned in here for a $50 gift card were stolen or otherwise illegal.

In other words, it probably got a lot more illegal guns off the street than legal guns.

On the other hand, this is essentially a drive-through, government-backed fence for stolen guns. I wonder how many legally-owned guns are stolen just so they can be cashed in at such a "buyback."

Hence, my opinion is "buybacks" do encourage illegal guns to be turned in, but encourages theft of legal guns. However, it is spun by the media to appear that legal gun owners would happily give up their guns for a steak dinner. Moreover, the name "buyback" implies some opinion that all guns should inherently be controlled by the state.

If you have the balls to go an do a "buyback" and claim it's to reduce crime, at least pay fair market value for what you're "buying back."

Pretty much this. Why anyone in their right mind would hand over something worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars over for a $50 gift card? If legally owned and purchased, it can be sold for way more than that. The value of guns doesn't really decrease that much. The only time a gun would go for cheaper is one that was illegally owned and then sold.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

Shouldn't illegally owed guns be off the street? I'd suggest we take this at face value (getting needless weapons off the street) instead of always questioning motives behind stuff. This is better than say, cops rummaging through your stuff looking for illegally owned weapons.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Shouldn't illegally owed guns be off the street? I'd suggest we take this at face value (getting needless weapons off the street) instead of always questioning motives behind stuff. This is better than say, cops rummaging through your stuff looking for illegally owned weapons.

Yes they should be off. But there is no good way to solve this problem. Giving out monetary rewards for turning in guns is just incentivizing the theft of legally owned guns. Legal owners would never turn in good working guns.

Is there an easy solution to this problem? Not really.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
How many kids did you raise? It sounds like you are speaking from experience.

I sure am, I've got one. My wife works 3-4 12 hour shifts, and random 4-6 hour shifts per week, I work my 50 hour weeks, and whatever side jobs I can scare up. Straight A honor roll, likes to read, wakes up and gets dressed for school without a fight, polite, happy, couldn't ask for a better child. Blaming the rat race for your fucked up kid is a fucking cop out.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Yes they should be off. But there is no good way to solve this problem. Giving out monetary rewards for turning in guns is just incentivizing the theft of legally owned guns. Legal owners would never turn in good working guns.

I don't know, I don't see people turning in stolen guns for a $50 gift card when they could flip them for $100 cash without blinking. If I had to guess it would be more people that wound up with them through inheritance, or family, and had no use for them. Anyone that deals with guns, legal, or illegal knows they can get a lot more than $50, even for a grade A piece of shit.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Wow, I mentioned a buy back program on this forum as an idea and I was grilled for being a fucking retard for even mentioning that. What do you know? People are already doing it, and they even call it a buy back program. People who are so mean to those who want guns off the streets are selfish, period. Selfishness and unfounded paranoia is their motivation for acting the way they do.
I think the answer will come as a result of personal responsibility taking hold in a big way, such as what the new buyer of Bushmaster is said to be planning to do. So its not just gun owners, but gun sellers. I think the solution will come with gun companies being more careful about who they sell to and under different conditions perhaps. This might not be something the government can fix. It might have to be Americans themselves and I know we can do it. Theres nothing Americans can't do when we pull together and get on the same page.
Handling gun control ourselves is patriotic. Ignoring the problem and continuing to let others die for our own selfish reasons while making excuses is not patriotic.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I don't know, I don't see people turning in stolen guns for a $50 gift card when they could flip them for $100 cash without blinking. If I had to guess it would be more people that wound up with them through inheritance, or family, and had no use for them. Anyone that deals with guns, legal, or illegal knows they can get a lot more than $50, even for a grade A piece of shit.

Working guns criminals will flip for more. Non working guns are just a paper weight. They'll gladly turn them in for $50 GC.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Wow, I mentioned a buy back program on this forum as an idea and I was grilled for being a fucking retard for even mentioning that. What do you know? People are already doing it, and they even call it a buy back program. People who are so mean to those who want guns off the streets are selfish, period. Selfishness and unfounded paranoia is their motivation for acting the way they do.
I think the answer will come as a result of personal responsibility taking hold in a big way, such as what the new buyer of Bushmaster is said to be planning to do. So its not just gun owners, but gun sellers. I think the solution will come with gun companies being more careful about who they sell to and under different conditions perhaps. This might not be something the government can fix. It might have to be Americans themselves and I know we can do it. Theres nothing Americans can't do when we pull together and get on the same page.
Handling gun control ourselves is patriotic. Ignoring the problem and continuing to let others die for our own selfish reasons while making excuses is not patriotic.

gun companies do not sell to individuals. they sell to FFL dealers, who in turn sell to individuals.