Spaceforce ? Rogue Universe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo
Looks like X3 is still the best (recent) space sim out there.

I get my copy of Space Force in a few weeks time ,so I'll give you my honest opinion of the game then.

I hated X2 was too slow and tedious,never tried X3.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
is this game kind of like Darkstar One? What ive been waiting for is a remake of the xwing / tie fighter series from back in '93-94 (dont remember the exact years) I played those games silly, it was the best space sim ever imo. Why cant lucasarts remake them again with updated graphics? Seems like this would sell. Id buy it again!

I wouldnt mind giving Spaceforce a try, im dying for another cool space sim game!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Vampirrella
is this game kind of like Darkstar One? What ive been waiting for is a remake of the xwing / tie fighter series from back in '93-94 (dont remember the exact years) I played those games silly, it was the best space sim ever imo. Why cant lucasarts remake them again with updated graphics? Seems like this would sell. Id buy it again!

I wouldnt mind giving Spaceforce a try, im dying for another cool space sim game!

Try the free demo,link few posts up.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Gameslave UK have a review .

Summary

Without wanting to sound patronising, the developers have certainly got their heart in the right place. If Spaceforce had ticked a few more boxes along the way, they would have had a really playable adventure on their hands, but as it stands there are much better options out there, like Freelancer and X3, both of which you can probably pick up cheaper. Like I said, hardcore fans of the genre will no doubt rush out and buy it anyway and completely ignore everything I've said - and they'll probably love it. But if you're a casual gamer looking for an exciting voyage through space, this isn't for you.

The main problem is that you feel like you're just floating aimlessly through space with no real impetus or purpose, and while the hardcore out there might find that a turn-on, most won't. Beam me up Scotty, PLEASE.

4.5/10.

Nasty score but I can see why,personally I'm waiting for the patch to see if this brings major or any improvements, the game is not terrible just not polished and needs a patch or two..

Thyme

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2000
I played it and it was awful. It's not just that it's buggy, but it's almost completely unplayable and I don't see how anyone would have given it a green light for release.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Patch 1.1 has just been released today ,link too early for feedback at this time.

Below are some of the new features:

- Added support for higher resolution and 8x antialiasing
- New minimap features (for quests and space stations)
- Easy mode has been made simpler
- Solved or failed quests can now randomly be reactivated
- When the player hits other objects the bounce power is now lower
- Durability now depends on ship damage, instead of gameplay time
- Rebalanced experience rewards
- Time to recharge mega jump has been reduced
- User can now enable switching weapons in the middle of their battle
- Joystick options added

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem
Patch 1.1 has just been released today ,link too early for feedback at this time.

- Joystick options added

wtf? a space flight sim without joystick options?? wow...

jdport

Oct 20, 2004
They need to recreate the old commodore 64 game "Elite", except with much MORE, taking advantage of modern computer power for graphics and more depth. That game rocked, if they could make that on a C64 imagine what they could do with it on a modern machine.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

- Joystick options added

In less than 0.001% of all Star Trek episodes does the navigator use a joystick. Why should you? They use a 24th century keyboard to fly their spaceships.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: bullbert

- Joystick options added

In less than 0.001% of all Star Trek episodes does the navigator use a joystick. Why should you? They use a 24th century keyboard to fly their spaceships.

I wasn't aware this was a star trek game. is your keyboard a 24th century keyboard designed to fly spaceships? i know mine isn't. you can't have a flight sim style game without joystick support, its just unnatural.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

- Joystick options added

I wasn't aware this was a star trek game. is your keyboard a 24th century keyboard designed to fly spaceships? i know mine isn't. you can't have a flight sim style game without joystick support, its just unnatural.

I found using joystick/joypad hard in this game,however using mouse and keyboard was easier for me,patch 1.1 installed ok and seems to make things a bit easier.

I'm currently doing some mining to build my credits/cash up,game wise loads of solar systems to explore,not had any crashes yet(using Vista x64) did a few quests as well,too early to say if I like the game,but its a slow start for me and looks like might be one of those games where you got to put enough hours in to get any statisfaction out of it.

You can mine which can be used for upgrades like weapons,armour etc or you can sell them at a spacestation whichever you prefer(spacestations you can pick up quests,sell and buy stuff,repair/upgrade etc..),not got enough cash yet to buy a new ship but working on it.
Freelancer is a better game (so is Privateer 2 which is one of my old favourites).

I'll be playing the game over the weekend to see how the game develops,got a good little tip to get some easy fast credits,here .

Mining wise its slow since your mining tools dont last so have to buy like 10 or so then go back and buy some more when they are all used up,not expensive but still a bit annoying to keep buying them.

So far not a terrible game if you got time and patience on your hands,stability is excellent.
Gameplay is still ongoing so I can't give a comment on that yet(too early at this stage).
Controls are fair(not brilliant but not hard to get use to or complicated,joystick/gamepad I hated it ,just could not get the smoothness or right speed).

Game is not demanding on PC hardware from what I have played.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

- Joystick options added

Freelancer was quite possibly the best space shooter I have played. A nice big open universe to play in (ala Elder Scrolls) but with an ongoing campaign that was interesting enough to keep you moving forward. Crapload of ships and weapons, and plenty of hidden goodies like Class 10 weapons to go dig up.

I spent more time playing Freelancer over the years than all the Star Wars games combined.

The mouse really is a superior control device for lining up shots and blasting your enemy.

Stefx

Jul 17, 2007
I'm surprised that Eve Online hasn't been mentioned yet.

For the past six months, this is the game I've been playing 90% of the time. It's not a joystick-simulation type of game... a bit slower.

The community is great. Age average is 27. Most play for the PvP part, but I've been playing the PvE side and I love the economics/industrial side of it.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Stefx
I'm surprised that Eve Online hasn't been mentioned yet.

For the past six months, this is the game I've been playing 90% of the time. It's not a joystick-simulation type of game... a bit slower.

The community is great. Age average is 27. Most play for the PvP part, but I've been playing the PvE side and I love the economics/industrial side of it.

probably because its nothing like this type of game?
EVE is slow and boring.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm at work now so I cant download or play the demo.

Anyone like it?
Anyone not like it?

Talk to me.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The trailers look interesting, and are reminiscent of EVE Online (but with cooler ship designs). On the other hand, the multiplayer PVP is what makes EVE what it is, so I can easily imagine this game being rather empty.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Sounds like what I'm attempting, but I intend to base it on real world motion and physics and make the free version a 12 player, 6/side, co-op distributed computing game so it can divide up the math work.