Spaceforce ? Rogue Universe

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Homepage.

What is Space Force - Rogue Universe?

An open ended, beautiful and innovative 3D space environment decorated with stars, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, black holes, star bases, floating cities and open for exploration, trade, crafting, diplomacy, fight. An in-depth storyline and plenty of opportunities which will inspire the action oriented player but also the real adventurer and the trader. Space Force - Rogue Universe offers small-scale as well as huge space battles, a vast range of numerous different quests, and a story-filled game.

What are your goals with Space Force - Rogue Universe?

Space Force - Rogue Universe is an action RPG space simulation with an emphasis on some key elements as ship development, exploration of immersive Universe and a freedom of choice. After the pilot leave the starting zone, Space Force - Rogue Universe opens before him almost unlimited exploration. Space Force - Rogue Universe is the game in which you can play the role of a starship pilot who explores the space

Features:

* An open ended, beautiful and innovative 3D space environment decorated with stars, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, black holes, star bases, and floating cities - all of which are ready for exploration, development, trade, diplomacy, or conflict
* Players will have the opportunity to explore the galaxy as a member of one of the 10 civilizations placed on different starting locations across the universe
* Non-stop action with a wealth of star vessels within beautiful constellations make SpaceForce 2 an intriguing and exiting space game
* Advanced graphics and particle features - True 64 bit HDR rendering, HDR fresnel, HDR specular, HDR bloom and glow star effect, tone mapping (adaptive exposure), HDR antialiasing, blue
* Each ship can be modified into your own creative style by upgrading: speed, target system, jammer, shield, armour, weaponry, afterburner, cargo space and weight

Release Date : End of Q2 2007.

Trailers

Trailers link 2.

Screenshots.

FAQs

Minimal configuration
Processor min 1.4 GHz
DirectX 9 compatible graphics card 128 MB
16 bit sound card
512 MB of RAM
2.2 GB free hard disk space
Mouse
Keyboard
Installed DirectX 9.0d

Normal configuration
Processor min 2.0 GHz
DirectX 9 compatible graphics card 128 MB 3D
compatible sound card with support for EAX 3.0 and 5.1 sound speakers
1024 MB of RAM
2.2 GB free hard disk space
Mouse
Keyboard
Installed DirectX 9.0d

Widescreen is supported

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
mmorpg or single player?

FAQs state,

Q: Will the game contain multiplayer and how will it work (i.e. Freelancer or something different)?

A: For the first release multiplayer is not planed but maybe it will be released in next patch or expansion. We imagined it to look like a deathmach (particulary action and dynamic fight). But we will see.

FAQs.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Looks like its worth keeping track of.
I always loved Freelancer but was sorry the campaign was so limited and the SP is pretty much pointless once it ends.
Was also sorry they never made a sequel.

This may be what I need.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Btw guys game name was changed from Space Force 2 to Space Force - Rogue Universe,that's why you'll see references to SF2 in FAQs.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem
mmorpg or single player?

FAQs state,

Q: Will the game contain multiplayer and how will it work (i.e. Freelancer or something different)?

A: For the first release multiplayer is not planed but maybe it will be released in next patch or expansion. We imagined it to look like a deathmach (particulary action and dynamic fight). But we will see.

FAQs.

meh, huge games like that never really made sense to me to be SP. even tacking on a DM style MP doesn't work because thats 1 small part of the game.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
mmorpg or single player?

FAQs state,

FAQs.

meh, huge games like that never really made sense to me to be SP. even tacking on a DM style MP doesn't work because thats 1 small part of the game.

I had great fun in Freelancer/Privateer 2 even though they were single player games,single player games can be great fun if done right.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
mmorpg or single player?

FAQs state,

FAQs.

I had great fun in Freelancer/Privateer 2 even though they were single player games,single player games can be great fun if done right.

it still just seems...empty, i guess.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Sounds like an X3/Priv2/Freelancer/ remake wannabe... Even if it is better, you end up bored after about 4 hours of gameplay.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: ArchAngel777
Sounds like an X3/Priv2/Freelancer/ remake wannabe... Even if it is better, you end up bored after about 4 hours of gameplay.

Speak for yourself only ;) ,I know a lot of people that loved Privateer 2 and Freelancer,only game that I did not like or get into was x2.

End of the day its all down to the type of games you prefer and gameplay,I know some people that refuse to pay or play any MMORPG,others I know will only play MMORPG if there's good PvP .

I like most space games even single player ones,if it keeps me entertained.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I pre-ordered the game so can be another guinea pig for you guys ;).

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
does it have space physics like I-War series did?

That's in FAQs,

Q:How are the space physics in SF2?
Newtonian: as in if im going really fast and I cut power to the engines will I continue to coast forward?
Arcade: or am I going to stop as though I have brakes and tires gripping the road?

A: The physics will be implemented in a ration of 50:50 (half Newtonian and half Arcade)

Q: Physics in general

A: "Yes, every explosion has an impact on all the objects around it. For example, if an explosion occurs in the middle of a meteor field they will all be scattered by it. Also, when two meteors collide, they break into smaller pieces which are also influenced by physics so we can collide with them and they will transfer their force on other near objects. Our ship can also be influenced by the explosion's blast radius and we will feal the shake depending on the distance from the blast. If any projectile collides with our ship, the ship will be diverted from it's original path so the pilot could ran into something while trying to align with the original path. The explosion's blast power can also divert lasers from their path. Some lasers can deflect from their target and hit another one. Big projectiles can be destroyed while moving to their target so you can prevent them from damaging your ship (nice targeting practice).
You can even lead biger and slower projectils to onother target while projectile is follow you. Watch out where you are opening fire because you can by mistake (e.g. destroying asteroids) begin galactic war The damage on our ship depends on the speed our ship was going when we ran into something. The movement and maneuver of our ship depends on the cargo we are carrying. So it's not reccomendable to go into battles while your cargo is full because the ship will be less effective. And there are some other things like particle physics, so for example when your ship flyes through the particle fog it will push it. You will make hole in fog cloud."

EDIT 1: Every item has weight and occupation of space. Some items are large but not heavy. You must combine those to values for optimal use of you ship space.

EDIT 2: We are also implemented real time gravity of black holes but we don't know if we gona use it in that manner because we gate strange but anticipated result. Black hole suck all near by objects (e.g. asteroids ). I will try to use that for some big gravity bombs (short time gravity) and see what result we can get.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
UK release date is now 22nd June according to online game sites.

No official news on release dates at the moment.

SViper

Feb 17, 2005
This will definitely be one to pick up. I loved freelancer. Didn't like X3 too much because it was just too daunting.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Playable demo is now available link.

Hello, community!

From now on, you can download SFRU Demo from these links and test your pilot skills in this fascinating space simulation rpg game.

Take your chance and become a pirate, trader, solider...
Upgrade your ship and experience total control over your destiny in star systems located thousands of light years away from Earth...

The Rogue Universe is waiting...

Nohr

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2001
www.flickr.com
BTW, create a new profile before playing to get the tutorial. If you play with the default profile the game skips it.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Can you say "rough around the edges and a bit squishy in the middle"?

Definitely needs work, but the premise is the same as Freelancer... go around doing stuff, blowing things up and making a living for yourself. Still trying to figure out how the whole experience thing works.

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
Played the demo, was very unimpressed it was really lacking visually and gamplay felt wimpy. The good news is is that it ran very smooth :p

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
New review@GameSpot,[url="http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/sim/spaceforce2/review.html?sid=6172039"]link.[/url]

If you can get past the steep learning and difficulty curves, there's a pretty deep game to unearth. The combat in Spaceforce is challenging, the stuff to do is interesting, and the pace of the game rarely drags.

Review@[url="http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=43377"]Worthplaying.[/url]

In summary, Space Force is a mixed bag of a game with some things that work, and an almost equal number of things that fail. A graphically amazing, highly playable engine is let down by a fairly predictably storyline and repetitive mission structure. It's a fairly minimalist space sim RPG, with much of what usually makes games of this genre so complex and confusing taken out. This makes it more accessible to the mainstream gamer, at the cost of possibly upsetting the hardcore fans of the genre.