Soup Kitchen whom Paul Ryan staged fake photo op without permission is hurting

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Again, the guy was heavily liberal and overreacted, if anything people should be pissed at him, and if they are losing money they are to blame, not Ryan or those on the right.

Maybe I've missed something - what has Brian Antal presented that would be "heavily liberal?"

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Maybe I've missed something - what has Brian Antal presented that would be "heavily liberal?"

oh yawn you again, thought we were done...

maybe if you get more interesting I might think of reading more of your jibber jabber

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
oh yawn you again, thought we were done...

maybe if you get more interesting I might think of reading more of your jibber jabber

ah, Sweetheart.... here you are reading it....

And as a serious question: what has Brian Antal presented that would be "heavily liberal?"

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
ah, Sweetheart.... here you are reading it....

And as a serious question: what has Brian Antal presented that would be "heavily liberal?"

You're here posting on this magical thing called the internet, and with that comes something called google, please use it.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
You're here posting on this magical thing called the internet, and with that comes something called google, please use it.

Well, thanks for answering - and I'm not interested in googling an answer - I'd rather you answer a rather simple question put to you....

Tell me about Brian Antal....

If he's had a history of allowing his charity access for his preferred party, then there's hypocrisy - something worth debating...

Last edited:

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Well, thanks for answering - and I'm not interested in googling an answer - I'd rather you answer a rather simple question put to you....

Tell me about Brian Antal....

you're really that ridiculous no? correct me if I am wrong but didn't you yourself say you weren't reading my posts any longer? and here I thought I had salvation from at least one meatball...oh well

You already know I am going to say voted in democratic primaries since what? 1995....now I don't know about you, but I know I am pretty conservative guy and I have never voted in a republican primary...

Now you can whine and explain it away all you like, but the guy even came back and recinded his statements so.....

you wingnuts can go and poo poo Ryan all you want for doing something all the candidates do at one point or another, and blame him for all this as I am sure you will....

But Antal threw the first stone, and because of that they are losing money...cause=effect

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Bozack can't back up his claim that Antal is heavily liberal, or that his statements were actually heavily liberal at all....

But somehow maintains the pretense that he has, or could, or that somebody else should, or something, anything to put the focus on Antal, rather than on Ryan's crass stunt, which is where it should be...

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Bozack can't back up his claim that Antal is heavily liberal, or that his statements were actually heavily liberal at all....

But somehow maintains the pretense that he has, or could, or that somebody else should, or something, anything to put the focus on Antal, rather than on Ryan's crass stunt, which is where it should be...

Blah blah blah....

So riddle me this, why did the guy make a stink and then take it back, especially after the (dare I say) post put out their article on his participation in Dem primaries since 95?

Again, I don't know too many independents or moderates who bother with party primaries, but I am sure there are exceptions to that rule....or at least I am guessing thats what you guys will say.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
So riddle me this, why did the guy make a stink and then take it back, especially after the (dare I say) post put out their article on his participation in Dem primaries since 95?

Riddle me that: how does this reflect on his charity? Unless he's allowed his chosen political party access to his charity for promotion, then he's quite correct in saying that he's not supporting either...

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
The smart move would have been to invite Joe Biden to the soup kitchen. Instead Mr. Antal made a political statement by attempting not to make one. The backslash seems sincerely ignorant and misguided though.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Blah blah blah....

Again, I don't know too many independents or moderates who bother with party primaries, but I am sure there are exceptions to that rule....or at least I am guessing thats what you guys will say.

That's supposed to validate your "heavily liberal" smear in what way, exactly?

What exactly did Antal "take back", btw?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The head of an Ohio charity who criticized Mitt Romney’s campaign for staging a “photo-op” at one of the group’s soup kitchens has consistently voted in Democratic primaries.
Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, described himself as an independent voter when telling the Post that vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan came into the soup kitchen without permission on Monday and “did nothing.” But records from the Mahoning County Board of Elections show that he has voted in Democratic primaries since at least 1995.
Ohio has semi-open primaries; your party affiliation is determined by which ballot you choose. You can change parties on the spot, or choose an issues-only ballot affiliated with neither party.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...yan-critic-has-voted-in-democratic-primaries/

He is a democrat who pretends to not be one.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The smart move would have been to invite Joe Biden to the soup kitchen. Instead Mr. Antal made a political statement by attempting not to make one. The backslash seems sincerely ignorant and misguided though.

Righties would have taken that as an attack on their boy & support for Biden. Ignorant & misguided? Knee-jerk attack on anybody who questions their hero's bullshit is more like it. They know Ryan is an inept jerk, a poseur & an intellectual lightweight, bereft of any redeeming qualities other than telling them what they want to hear, which apparently makes everything A-OK.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
LYNCHBURG, VA -- Amid questions and criticisms related to Paul Ryan’s visit this weekend to an Ohio soup kitchen, the charity’s president said the Republican vice presidential candidate did, in fact, scrub dirty dishes though his visit wasn’t officially sanctioned.
The question of whether the Wisconsin congressman cleaned dishes that were actually dirty – as opposed to re-washing already clean dishes so as to get a good photo opportunity -- Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society President Brian Antal clarified that Ryan did clean soiled dishes. This differs from what Antal had told The Washington Post Monday.
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...h-dirty-dishes-during-soup-kitchen-visit?lite

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
1. Shallow self serving partisan prick exploits a non partisan soup kitchen for photo op to fluff up his compassionate conservative credentials, washes a few dishes.

2. the Head of the soup kitchen's organization calls him on it, points out that he endangered their funding with his partisan bullshit in an attempt to protect the honest efforts of said soup kitchen.

3. Righties attack the guy for defending the soup kitchen's integrity & funding, claim he's the partisan exploiter, not their boy who did the actual exploiting. Donations to the soup kitchen fall off as a consequence.

4. Righties claim self righteousness & victory over evil liberals for questioning the integrity of the self serving prick who started it all.

5. Aforementioned self righteous exploitative prick sails off into the sunset as if his shit doesn't stink, and aforementioned Righties worship him even more as a consequence of him having fucked over the soup kitchen & the guy running it, who was minding his own business performing a community service in the first place.

6. Righties suggest that if the soup kitchen goes broke, well, there are obviously more in the neighborhood, & that the people who use it should just go someplace else, validating the self serving prick's photo op mentality entirely.

Priorities, people- it's all about priorities, and people who benefit from soup kitchens aren't even a blip on the radar. Fuck 'em- let 'em eat cake, if they can find any.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
1. Shallow self serving partisan prick exploits a non partisan soup kitchen for photo op to fluff up his compassionate conservative credentials, washes a few dishes.

Priorities, people- it's all about priorities, and people who benefit from soup kitchens aren't even a blip on the radar. Fuck 'em- let 'em eat cake, if they can find any.

Is this your way of saying you think it is fine the dem partisan guy lied about what Ryan did...or your way of saying you think it is terrible the dem partisan guy lied about what Ryan did?

It is not very clear.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
All photo ops are fake.

You win.

There should have been no "photo op" without the owner/manager's full consent. Without his consent, Ryan deserves the rebuke, end of story. The place and the people who operate it and the people who benefit from its services are being used by the campaigners. If there is no protection against this sort of thing, there should at least be understanding if someone vocally protests. It only makes sense.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
So you guys are attacking the president of the Soup Kitchen, because he won't let sham Photo Op happen. You're OK with the backlash even if it hurts the people it's serving? amirite?

Even though he explicitly said he would treat the other campaign that way, if they bull the same shenigans?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
No, we are attacking the manager of that one soup kitchen for lying...or at least I am.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Boy is it nice to know that Republicans get upset about lying, sort of like turds complaining about the smell of shit.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Boy is it nice to know that Republicans get upset about lying, sort of like turds complaining about the smell of shit.

Nah, our shit don't stink. ;) (as a slightly related side note, my sense of smell is broken - I actualy cannot smell cow manure - though I can smell the chemical concoction they mix into it these days)

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Is this your way of saying you think it is fine the dem partisan guy lied about what Ryan did...or your way of saying you think it is terrible the dem partisan guy lied about what Ryan did?

It is not very clear.

None of the above. It's true that Ryan might have actually washed some *dirty* dishes in the few minutes he was there, but none of us know for sure.

No, we are attacking the manager of that one soup kitchen for lying...or at least I am.

He didn't lie about your boy- he just put it in a light you'd rather not shine on poor picked on Mr Ryan.

Which was promptly followed by reduced financial support, beating the hostage, the people served by the soup kitchen.

Compassionate Conservatism-ain't it swell?

Thank you, Moonbeam. Ryan was attempting to promulgate a lie by showing up at the soup kitchen in the first place.

See! I'm a volunteer! I care!

Yeh, about 5 minutes worth... when the cameras quit clicking, he left.

He's a dick.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Charities are usually supported more by the right than left. Antal has no $$ amount because he does not know. If he had kept his partisan bullshit our of the story he would not have had this problem.

In other words if he cared more about the poor rather than his own political bias he wouldn't be seeing a backlash reaction to his over-reaction at Ryan's visit.