Soup Kitchen whom Paul Ryan staged fake photo op without permission is hurting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
They're intercepting the mail?

To the best of my ability I do not buy products from known right wing donors. If a right winger doesn't give to a charity because they don't like a slime trick pulled by Ryan, they will do what I do. I keep my money in my pocket and they do the same. I have control only over me. All I said that because of this fact that people don't want evil to profit the evil want to hide who they are. I just happen to have a different idea of what is evil than conservatives do. I boycott wealthy people who are socially irresponsible, and they won't donate to a charity that offends their political leanings. I'm a good guy who discomforts the comfortable and they make the poor pay for their outrage, the difference between decency and scum. I give and have given to religious groups whose religion I don't believe in because they work with the poor.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is comedy gold. Paul Ryan takes a fake photo pretending he is helping the poor. So Republicans decide to punish the guy who is in fact helping the poor. You can't make this stuff up.

The gift of moral hypocracy.....keeps on giving even when it doesn't.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
They're punishing a partisan hack who put his political motives before all else. He must have forgotten who is donors were. I'm glad he's on his way out because charity shouldn't be partisan. Hopefully the next president of that soup kitchen will understand this and not stand on the backs of the impoverished to try and make a political point.

LMAO, you're actually defending Ryan who barged into the soup kitchen without his permission and fake washed cleaned pots and pans.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
LMAO, you're actually defending Ryan who barged into the soup kitchen without his permission and fake washed cleaned pots and pans.

Permitting people to help in a soup kitchen? What kind of soup nazi is that guy? I've never had to get permission when I go to volunteer. I show up, wash pans, they say thanks.

Sounds like this president has a huge ego problem and has no business running a charity. He needs some humility.

Oct 16, 1999
Wow what? Am I right or wrong? Explain. Where will the money that people want to donate go once it is closed? Maybe another soup kitchen will get busier and they'll donate to that one? Maybe the money will disappear? Help me.

You post about the "charitableness of Americans' hearts" while they punish a charity and the people it serves based on the political persuasion of a volunteer. And then you attack that volunteer for having issue with Paul Ryan using his soup kitchen to grandstand and deceive all without even bothering to go through the proper channels. And to top it off you go into a free market ramble about how another charity will just pop up in its place. Wow.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
You post about the "charitableness of Americans' hearts" while they punish a charity and the people it serves based on the political persuasion of a volunteer. And then you attack that volunteer for having issue with Paul Ryan using his soup kitchen to grandstand and deceive all without even bothering to go through the proper channels. And to top it off you go into a free market ramble about how another charity will just pop up in its place. Wow.

This president and his "faux outrage" has no business in charity. It's high time the donors help him see that. He needs to remove himself and put someone there who really cares about the people, and won't jump at any opportunity to get partisan.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Bullshit, Ryan had no interest in helping homeless just taking a picture, that's exploitation. Fuck Ryan for doing it and fuck you for making excuses for it.

This, seriously.

All photo ops are fake.

This is also true. However, not all photo ops are exploitative. If Ryan had actually helped out or used the opportunity to advocate for the works of the charity (or the poor directly), then this wouldn't be an issue. Ryan did this for purely political and personal gain. It is quite transparent.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Bullshit, Ryan had no interest in helping homeless just taking a picture, that's exploitation. Fuck Ryan for doing it and fuck you for making excuses for it.

Fuck Antel and the left for making this big news that is supposedly causing his donation to go down. I'll bet that Antel is gone within a couple of weeks...

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Permitting people to help in a soup kitchen? What kind of soup nazi is that guy? I've never had to get permission when I go to volunteer. I show up, wash pans, they say thanks.

Sounds like this president has a huge ego problem and has no business running a charity. He needs some humility.

Except he wasn't there to help people in the soup kitchen, as evidenced by the fact that he was CLEANING ALREADY CLEAN DISHES.

Are you batshit retarded?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Fuck Antel and the left for making this big news that is supposedly causing his donation to go down. I'll bet that Antel is gone within a couple of weeks...

I'll bet Antel is around in a couple of weeks but Ryan and Romney wont be.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

So Ryan just barged in? His campaign coordinated this stop several hours beforehand and received permission from the lady who was running the soup kitchen. That lady broke the rules according to Antal. How is that Ryan's campaigners fault?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Except he wasn't there to help people in the soup kitchen, as evidenced by the fact that he was CLEANING ALREADY CLEAN DISHES.

Antal has retracted the statement about the clean dishes. He acknowledges now that there were some dirty dishes. Since Ryan's campaign coordinated this photo op earlier and received permission they left some dirty dishes.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I think I read that Antel claimed he was upset because he doesn't want any political events at the kitchen, because they receive donations from both sides and do not want to irritate one side or the other.

I understand that he's a registered Democrat, but if he hasn't had any photo-ops or other events there for the Democratic Party, I think you have to take him at face value.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I'll bet Antel is around in a couple of weeks but Ryan and Romney wont be.

Antal brought unwanted and negative attention to the charity and lost donations. He'll be out soon. I'm sure the left will blame it on Ryan even though Antal handled the situation badly.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I think I read that Antel claimed he was upset because he doesn't want any political events at the kitchen, because they receive donations from both sides and do not want to irritate one side or the other.

I understand that he's a registered Democrat, but if he hasn't had any photo-ops or other events there for the Democratic Party, I think you have to take him at face value.

That's the problem, he got overly upset and appeared partisan. If he had come out and made a calm official statement that his charity organization does not support a political party and that the visit was ok'ed in error he would have been OK and this would have blown over or refocused back to Ryan and become just another photo op that did not work out.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
They're punishing a partisan hack who put his political motives before all else. He must have forgotten who is donors were. I'm glad he's on his way out because charity shouldn't be partisan. Hopefully the next president of that soup kitchen will understand this and not stand on the backs of the impoverished to try and make a political point.

So, explain to me how he was partisan?

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
I don't care if you're lefty or righty, but people here are gonna side with dishonest and lying politician over a soup kitchen to the point it might hurt poor people, just to score some cheap political points.

WOW.

That really just shows what kind of character you are as a human being.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Going by all the hatred the left had for Romney making charitable donations it seems to be that liberals are opposed to private charity.

So isnt it a good thing that it will shut down?

That way the government can step in and fix things :D

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
That's the problem, he got overly upset and appeared partisan. If he had come out and made a calm official statement that his charity organization does not support a political party and that the visit was ok'ed in error he would have been OK and this would have blown over or refocused back to Ryan and become just another photo op that did not work out.

Hes a political hack because he is telling the truth now?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
So, explain to me how he was partisan?

My above repsonse plus this:

Some of Antal's comments:

“ramrodded their way”
He wasn't there. The campaign said they planned this photo op in advance.

“It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.”
The volunteer was a lady in charge of the kichen and gave her approval. That's not Ryan's fault.

“The photo-op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”
He did wash some dirty dishes but yes, it was a staged photo op. Most planned photo ops are staged

“can’t fault my volunteers” “didn’t go through the proper channels.”
Ryan's campaign staff would only know the proper channels if someone told them.

“If this was the Democrats, I’d have the same exact problem.”
Sure, this would not have been made into a big deal if it was dem.

“all kinds of grief”
It's only grief because he made it so.

“Had they asked for permission, it wouldn’t have been granted. … But I certainly wouldn’t have let him wash clean pans, and then take a picture,”
Over reaction

Really, does that sound like something a normal head of charity would says in a situation like this

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I don't care if you're lefty or righty, but people here are gonna side with dishonest and lying politician over a soup kitchen to the point it might hurt poor people, just to score some cheap political points.

WOW.

That really just shows what kind of character you are as a human being.

You really don't see the issue here? It was a planned, staged political photo op that went viral because of the left and the charity president. I feel bad for the poor people who rely on this charity and blame Ryan's campaign but the left more so.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

I have to agree actually. Antel could have come out with a much more measured response. It looks like he was either trying to embarass Ryan or he let his emotions get the best of him. It's irrelavent to him in his position if Ryan was washing clean dishes or not, and he shouldn't have characterized them as "ramrodding" their way in.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
I have to agree actually. Antel could have come out with a much more measured response. It looks like he was either trying to embarass Ryan or he let his emotions get the best of him. It's irrelavent to him in his position if Ryan was washing clean dishes or not, and he shouldn't have characterized them as "ramrodding" their way in.

I think he was pissed. He made a point of saying that he doesn't let any politicians do it. I think he correctly knew that it would affect his donations either way.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
My above repsonse plus this:

Some of Antal's comments:

“ramrodded their way”
He wasn't there. The campaign said they planned this photo op in advance.

“It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it. They showed up there, and they did not have permission. They got one of the volunteers to open up the doors.”
The volunteer was a lady in charge of the kichen and gave her approval. That's not Ryan's fault.

“The photo-op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”
He did wash some dirty dishes but yes, it was a staged photo op. Most planned photo ops are staged

“can’t fault my volunteers” “didn’t go through the proper channels.”
Ryan's campaign staff would only know the proper channels if someone told them.

“If this was the Democrats, I’d have the same exact problem.”
Sure, this would not have been made into a big deal if it was dem.

“all kinds of grief”
It's only grief because he made it so.

“Had they asked for permission, it wouldn’t have been granted. … But I certainly wouldn’t have let him wash clean pans, and then take a picture,”
Over reaction

Really, does that sound like something a normal head of charity would says in a situation like this

I'm sad for you, that you can write that and honestly think it makes sense. He is the president of the organization and I'm sure he knows the right procedures.

Last edited: