Soup Kitchen whom Paul Ryan staged fake photo op without permission is hurting

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
...financially, due to a concerted rightwing effort to destroy them.

Not only were there calls on Facebook threatening his position and the donations to the charity, according to The Huffington Post in a phone interview with Antel, hundreds of phone calls flooded their office, most of them anonymous. The effect of monetary losses have been big. “It appears to be a substantial amount,” Antal said. “You can rest assured there has been a substantial backlash.” He goes on to say doesn’t understand why donors would take out their frustration over the incident on those who can’t afford to pay for their own meals. “I’m a volunteer,’ he told HuffPo. “I receive zero compensation. Withholding donations is only going to hurt the over 100,000 we serve annually.”

Not that rightwing christians care, but the only people they're hurting are the poor who go to the soup kitchen for meals, the volunteers don't get paid. Wait, maybe that's extra incentive for conservatives to destroy them, since they hate the poor. And this is a christian organization as well. Ironic.

In any case, i'm donating $100 to them and i encourage others to do the same.

Donations can be sent to:St. Vincent de Paul Society Mahoning CountyP.O. Box 224 Youngstown, Ohio 44501E-Mail:

I think you can donate via paypal here: bantal@svdpusa.org

Some choice quotes off their facebook page:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/1...ecause-of-paul-ryan-what-you-can-do-about-it/

http://freakoutnation.blogspot.com/2012/10/when-morals-politics-cross.html

“I hope you lose your tax [sic] emempt status,”

“Anyone who is thinking about donations to you should think twice,”

“Shame on you Brian Antal!”

“HAVE YOU ANY IDEA ON HOW MANY ARE GOING TO WALK AWAY FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION BECAUSE OF THE COMPLAINTS FROM YOUR PRESIDENT?”

“… a typical democratic thinking people shouldnt be allowed to speak or vote because they have a different opinion. You know Hitler thought the same thing.”

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Antal is a long time democratic voter who purposely over reacted to the situation and pissed off the right. The articles you posted try to make it out like conservatives were upset about the photo op and at Ryan. They are upset at Antel. He should have handled it calmy like the president of a charity should. His reaction came across as partisan and now he's pissed off a lot of people. If donors are pulling out it is his fault.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Antal is a long time democratic voter who purposely over reacted to the situation and pissed off the right. The articles you posted try to make it out like conservatives were upset about the photo op and at Ryan. They are upset at Antel. He should have handled it calmy like the president of a charity should. His reaction came across as partisan and now he's pissed off a lot of people. If donors are pulling out it is his fault.

Dont bring rationale into a phokus thread!

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

Lets ignore the fake photo Op at the expense of the poor and homeless.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Probably not good PR for the Republican party to have it's supporters very publicly beating up on a soup kitchen in the most important swing state there is.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The author is donating $20 to this worthy cause. FreakOutNation will match that donation. We hope you will match that, or give what you can afford:
Big spender.

So the charity was mostly supported by the right? Is there any accurate $$ amount that they are losing?

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
If the right hate the poor, why were they donating in the first place?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Guess what? If that soup kitchen closes another will open, it's not like the charitableness of Americans' hearts will close with it. Except this time, the soup kitchen will open without a weasel grandstander of a president.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Big spender.

So the charity was mostly supported by the right? Is there any accurate $$ amount that they are losing?

Charities are usually supported more by the right than left. Antal has no $$ amount because he does not know. If he had kept his partisan bullshit our of the story he would not have had this problem.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Probably not good PR for the Republican party to have it's supporters very publicly beating up on a soup kitchen in the most important swing state there is.

Why do you think Antal the democrat supporter is making a big deal out of this?

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
In any case, i'm donating $100 to them and i encourage others to do the same.

Donations can be sent to: St. Vincent de Paul Society Mahoning County P.O. Box 224 Youngstown, Ohio 44501E-Mail:

Wait, I thought all religious organizations were evil?!? And now you're advocating we send money to one?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This is why the right wants anonymous donors to political campaigns. If liberals knew who was donating to the Republicans they would boycott their businesses. These, of course, are the same assholes who will gladly black ball a charity they don't like. Fucking worthless shit.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
This is why the right wants anonymous donors to political campaigns. If liberals knew who was donating to the Republicans they would boycott their businesses. These, of course, are the same assholes who will gladly black ball a charity they don't like. Fucking worthless shit.
How are they stopping people from giving to the charity?

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
It was not at the expense of the poor and homeless until Antal made it that way.

Bullshit, Ryan had no interest in helping homeless just taking a picture, that's exploitation. Fuck Ryan for doing it and fuck you for making excuses for it.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Wait, I thought all religious organizations were evil?!? And now you're advocating we send money to one?

I'm only glancing at information, but this one appears to just be a soup kitchen that's also christian? If it was a church that also put some tiny fraction of their earnings into a soup kitchen that would be a little different.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
This is comedy gold. Paul Ryan takes a fake photo pretending he is helping the poor. So Republicans decide to punish the guy who is in fact helping the poor. You can't make this stuff up.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
This is comedy gold. Paul Ryan takes a fake photo pretending he is helping the poor. So Republicans decide to punish the guy who is in fact helping the poor. You can't make this stuff up.

They're punishing a partisan hack who put his political motives before all else. He must have forgotten who is donors were. I'm glad he's on his way out because charity shouldn't be partisan. Hopefully the next president of that soup kitchen will understand this and not stand on the backs of the impoverished to try and make a political point.