Sony exec says Wii and 360 priced too high?

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
They are pretty much saying anything to make people think they should wait till the PS3 is released or just buy another PS2 to replace the broken one instead of buying an X360.

I could be wrong...but I see a lot of people buying Xbox 360's this Christmas when they can't get a hold of a PS3...but I've been wrong before.

Dracos

Jun 10, 2001
Ok after seeing this webcomic this morning and reading the article I'm really starting to think the webcomic artist was correct :).

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
got to love idiots and marketteers. hmm, sony's system costs twice as much as a wii, but the wii is a little pricy while the ps3 isn't. great logic.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
"Look! A unicorn!" ;)

They'll say and do just about anything to divert attention from the fiasco that is the PS3 at this point.

MikeO

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001

Arrogance really seems to be the official PR policy at Sony right now, propably not the best solution to combat all the negative press the PS3 has had.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
I guess he is saying for what you get it is over priced. where as the ps3 you get your worth out of what you pay.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: amish
got to love idiots and marketteers. hmm, sony's system costs twice as much as a wii, but the wii is a little pricy while the ps3 isn't. great logic.

i think sonys logic lies in bang for buck, THEY think that the ps3 offers bang for buck while the wii and 360 do not offer enough bang for how much they cost.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I guess you can say the Wii is overpriced if you look at it from a hardware perspective. The PS3 packs a lot more than the price they're asking for. The 360 is at a great price for what it's offering. The Wii just has that dinky controller. Innovative but it's no blu-ray/cell.

On a side note, there's no reason to buy a PS3 just after its release unless you're planning on reselling it. All the good games come out later in 2007 and by then the price will have dropped and some bugs will have been addressed (and hopefully fixed).

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I won't be buying one until it dips below $400 and has some games out that I actually want to play. There is NO WAY I'm paying $600 for something that appears to be on par graphically with the Xbox 360. I'm not interested in a Blue-Ray player.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
..... and some bugs will have been addressed (and hopefully fixed).
The main "bug" is that's it's made by Sony, so that bug will not be fixed anytime soon.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
On a side note, there's no reason to buy a PS3 just after its release unless you're planning on reselling it. All the good games come out later in 2007 and by then the price will have dropped and some bugs will have been addressed (and hopefully fixed).

I seriously doubt the price will drop in 2007 unless the PS3 is having problems selling units. Probably not till 2008 at the earliest. Sony is losing too much money on the PS3 to cut prices a year or so after launch.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's just BS intended to spur remaining PS2 sales since they don't have anything for Xmas. If all you have to sell is a $129 PS2, you talk about how expensive everyone else is.

When the PS3 is available, you talk about how great a value it is for the money :)

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
I won't be buying one until it dips below $400 and has some games out that I actually want to play. There is NO WAY I'm paying $600 for something that appears to be on par graphically with the Xbox 360. I'm not interested in a Blue-Ray player.

For me its $200

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
if the rumors are true, the wii can turn out to be an expensive console. Despite the 249USD tag, 3 extra controllers is gonna cost 60USD each. So, that's an extra 180 bucks for 3 more controllers, which is the the wii-mote and nunchaku.

I guess he's sorta right.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Sid59
if the rumors are true, the wii can turn out to be an expensive console. Despite the 249USD tag, 3 extra controllers is gonna cost 60USD each. So, that's an extra 180 bucks for 3 more controllers, which is the the wii-mote and nunchaku.

I guess he's sorta right.

Yup. The Wii wants to be a party console, but it's going to be expensive to do the partying.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
So if the Wii and 360 are too expensive "for their intended audience" who is the intended audience for the PS3? Millionares and lottery winners?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
So if the Wii and 360 are too expensive "for their intended audience" who is the intended audience for the PS3? Millionares and lottery winners?

I'm guessing late teen through late 20s males who spend a disproportionate amount of their income on expensive TVs and other electronics. Which is a pretty big market these days, but I think they priced it too high for just about any parents who'd consider buying it for their kids.

Apr 17, 2005
ps3 isnt really overpriced for what it has...perhaps its unnecessary to have those things, but its not overprices. The wii on the other hand, i have owned nintendo consoles for a while and last gen i only bought a GC, but i'm not gonna be getting a wii

but i guess thats the american attitude now. affordable is directly related to how much something costs, not its actual value.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
ps3 isnt really overpriced for what it has...perhaps its unnecessary to have those things, but its not overprices. The wii on the other hand, i have owned nintendo consoles for a while and last gen i only bought a GC, but i'm not gonna be getting a wii

Do you work for Sony's marketing team? :)