Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
My finger is ready to pull the trigger on this game on Steam. $7.50 seems to be a steal. I would really appreciate feedback from any of you that have played the game. Unfortunately I live in South Africa and my internet is currently not enough for online play.

How good is the Single player? I will be using a wired Xbox 360 controller. I understand I need to use the Xbox360ce controller software.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
It's still free to play for another 16 hours or so on Steam isn't it?

I played it for a hour straight (when these days I rarely find a game to keep me interested for more than a few minutes), and it is a very enjoyable game even for the single player alone if you were into Mario Kart as a kid.

I used Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510, and had no problem whatsoever with the controls.

It's currently only $3.74. Seriously, what do you have to lose.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
It's still free to play for another 16 hours or so on Steam isn't it?

I played it for a hour straight (when these days I rarely find a game to keep me interested for more than a few minutes), and it is a very enjoyable game even for the single player alone if you were into Mario Kart as a kid.

I used Logitech Rumble Gamepad F510, and had no problem whatsoever with the controls.

It's currently only $3.74. Seriously, what do you have to lose.

Not sure where you see $3.74 but I see no such price and I have the American site loaded. $7.49 ($29.99 normal price 75% off) is the price listed for me. Either way seems to be a great deal.

Baptismbyfire

Oct 7, 2010
Oh, I guess it must be regional pricing. I'm not in the states so.

The one thing that struck me playing the game was the dearth of recognizable Sega franchise characters. Of the 30 characters you could choose from, I could only recognize a few of them, including Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I think it speaks volumes about how Sega through its long history failed to create memorable characters, when they include Shogun as one of the characters you can play.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I picked it even though I already have it for the PS3.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've played almost all of the "campaign" on my 360, and it's fun, but a bit repetitive. I paid full price for my 360 version ($40), and I don't feel ripped off. Although, as I mentioned in the sale thread, I had problems with the game randomly freezing.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I bought it onsale. No issues with freezing or any technical issues (I use a Radeon though).

Highly recommended, best kart game I've ever played.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I bought it onsale. No issues with freezing or any technical issues (I use a Radeon though).

Highly recommended, best kart game I've ever played.

I bit the bullet and bought it and the dlc. Either way if I get some good gaming with my 9 year old Nephew in this game it will have been a good purchase. We both enjoy playing Mario Kart on the Wii.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I bit the bullet and bought it and the dlc. Either way if I get some good gaming with my 9 year old Nephew in this game it will have been a good purchase. We both enjoy playing Mario Kart on the Wii.

Good deal. It's better than any Mario Kart. Looking forward to see if 8 on the WiiU can top it but I doubt it.

Mar 11, 2004
Its ok but I don't think its anything special. I like it more than Mario Kart Wii but not as much as Double Dash, let alone N64 or SNES ones.

One thing I really didn't like is the forced water and air parts. I also felt the weapons were lackluster and not very interesting. There was also too much and too little difference between the characters. They all handle differently so some with the same stats would have different feel, but when it comes down to it it wasn't really major so it was almost pointless for all the stats. I think they should've just had a single handling descriptor and have that be the main difference while making it be a bigger difference. A character specific special weapon would've also been nice way to differentiate.

I really like the free weekends. I'd love if that becomes more the norm, it replaces the demo or the need to rent and would definitely lead to me buying more games if I could try them out first. In some instances it would probably keep me from buying a game cheap, like this one, as I would've been tempted to buy it for like $5. But there's a bunch of games that I'm interested in buying but I really want to try them first.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
I didn't like DD as much as the other Mario Karts. What do you find so compelling about the SNES version other than nostalgia?
The N64 was the one I look at most fondly because it being the first with 4player mode. That's my favorite one but only because of the memories.

How good Mario Party, Mario Kart and Paper Mario (if released) are on the Wii U will determine if I'm going to buy that console. Right now I'm leaning towards no. Steam has brought so many console games to the PC that I'm not sure I'll bother.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
The first Sonic racing game was pretty horrible, I don't know about this sequel but I would guess it's more of the same, not being able to touch Mario Kart with a 100 ft pole. Downloaded it on steam for the free weekend but it wouldn't detect my controller so I never played it.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
The first Sonic racing game was pretty horrible, I don't know about this sequel but I would guess it's more of the same, not being able to touch Mario Kart with a 100 ft pole. Downloaded it on steam for the free weekend but it wouldn't detect my controller so I never played it.

Looks like most of your time in this forum is spent on bitching about games. In this case, a game you haven't even played, try getting a decent controller.

This game is brilliant.

tw1164

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I bought it over the weekend, already ordered another controller so my kids can play together.

tomosrider

Jan 21, 2013
I got it from Steam for $7.50 and I played it by myself and with my grandson.
Double win for us.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Looks like most of your time in this forum is spent on bitching about games. In this case, a game you haven't even played, try getting a decent controller.

This game is brilliant.

I think he is right about the first game though. I played Transformed first, and I wanted to see what the original was like (I already owned it of course :p). It just... didn't feel the same, and that wasn't in a good way! I think it was the drifting that felt off.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I picked it up over the weekend. It's a blast, and actually rewards skill.

I'd have to play Crash Team Racing again to see what kart game gets my all-time nod, but this is a very good game.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
Glad to see I'm not alone in my high praise of this game. It's pretty nice to have one of the greatest kart racers ever released on the PC.. the last was Wacky Wheels.. but that was definitely a poor man's MarioKart. Not this Sonic racer though, Sega killed it with this one.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011

This game is brilliant.

Not that Metracritic is sound but the general consensus is that this game is extremely well received. The only catch is for single player they mention the learning curve is a little on the tough side but otherwise well worth the time investment.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
awesome game, fun as shit, graphics are really slick. Runs great on my aging 4850.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
I got it from Steam for $7.50 and I played it by myself and with my grandson.
Double win for us.

How much did your grandson enjoy it? My nephew is 9 but is a fairly decent console gamer and I will be using my wired Xbox360 controller for this one.

On another note how well do analog controllers work on the steering and such with this game? I will have to pick up another controller and this will help me make my decision on what controller to purchase.

XiandreX

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2011
awesome game, fun as shit, graphics are really slick. Runs great on my aging 4850.

Thats what I hear, this game runs well on even very modest older hardware which is a boon to the general populous. :awe:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Thats what I hear, this game runs well on even very modest older hardware which is a boon to the general populous. :awe:

I know it's not Crysis 3 graphics, but it looks great for what it is. And it runs with everything maxed out on my system.