Sometimes, "Keeping up with the Joneses" is just toooo funny!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: LS21
rental furniture is THE MOST n-word rich business ever

it amazed me something like that exists. started seeing them on the paper ads ... 400$ a month to rent a set of furniture? lawlz

(i understand there are people who live in a place temporarily for work..but either live minimalist or ur company should set that up for u)

noob? nut? nickel? noise? noodle? news?

Helloooo. . .he's talking about NAGGER.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: gingerstewart55
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Originally posted by: Descartes
You seem awfully snooty about the whole situation. You're doing the same thing they are; you're staring out the window and evaluating what they own, trying to make yourself feel better by saying what you bought is better. You're both trying to keep up with each other.

I can't think of a single time I've ever cared about what my neighbor bought.

Exactly what I thought when I read this. The OP also felt the need to explain how each and every item they got a "steal" on...that is a telltale sign of someone who has to "keep up with the joneses". I've noticed that a lot of the worst offenders of this behavior also tend to deny it the most.

Sorry, but we're not trying ot keep up with anyone. No, wati....I drag my desktop computer outside all the time to "show it off".....including the new Thermochill 120.3 radiator I just got for it.......

As for the washer/dryer....they're LG's.....the washer is called a Tromm. Nice washer. Didn't want to flaunt it, but since you asked, pup.

We're not flaunting or bragging.....well, maybe because we got deals. But I'm a Ferengi, much as RossMan is.....and he certainly crowed about the car he bought below cost a year or so ago. Seems some can do it and some cannot.

C'est la vie.......

Was just trying to provide a laugh and smile..........

And for suburban crap.........ever mowed 3+ acres of grass with a push mower, kid? Or don't you think owning a mower worthwhile? Want neighbors that don't mow their grass?

Or what do you use to wash your clothes.....from your comment, certainly not a washer and dryer? How's the rock and stream working for you?

;)

1) I never asked you what brand of washer you bought...some how you felt the overwhelming need to tell me though...quite funny.
2) I did not make any comments on what you bought...just the fact that you felt the need to explain how much you despise the person across the street.
3) Of course I use a washer and dryer and own a lawn mower. The difference is I don't feel the need to explain what great deals I got on my tools and then put down my neighbor for buying "sub par" goods of the same type.
4) Rossman may have bragged about what a deal he got...but he didn't then go off on how his neighbor overpaid for a piece of crap. That is the difference between your thread and his thread.

You obviously have some level of insecurity to bring this whole thread up.

compman25

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: sdifox
Here is my postulate on what happened
M= Man who lives from across the street
W= Said man's wife

M sees delivery trucks, tries to divert W from seeing them and fail miserably. Starts cursing neighbour across the street for what he knows will come
F is fuming that neighbour across the street is getting new washer, dryer and couch, nags M to get the same thing, never mind her exising ones are only 5 year old
M tries to talk F out of it, spents a week on the forementioned couch, find it not very comfortable and gives in, warning F that it is the vacation money she is squandering
F happily goes shopping, notices the big sign from Rent-a-Centre, figures renting is cheaper than buying, she gets to get the new stuff and go on vacation too! Walks in and rent everything for 3 year contract, with extended warranty
M fumes when F describes the amazing deal she got on the stuff, storms off to home depot and buys a mower. But since he is really short on money, buys a cheaper one.

Who the hell is "F" in your story? And why tell us about "W" and not use her in it ever? Your story telling fails.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: puffff
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
lol I love how this thread has backfired. OP needs to keep her attitude in check.

Dudes...
when i read the original post, nowhere did I get the feeling that the OP was trying to show off.

Agreed. There are a few posters in here who apparently have reading comprehension problems.

You haven't been around a bunch of "competing housewives" then. The way the OP talked is exactly how women talk about other women who are "competing with them" in an attempt to put down the other women when they in fact are just as bad at the act as anyone else. I despise the whole group of them...the ones who try to keep up and the ones who feel the need to put them down...they are all in the same lot.

I saw it as two topics in one - the first, how she's scored some excellent deals. A lot of people here have posted those without drawing scorn from the rest of the crowd. (I'm kinda envious of the riding lawnmower deal. I need a new one this spring because my kids have about destroyed the other one. We've definitely gotten our use out of it though.) I'll be hitting all the estate sales soon...

But, I've seen exactly what she's talking about in the other part of her thread - a neighbor who appears to try to be "keeping up with the Joneses" as she puts it. There's nothing in her thread that indicates that she's attempting to out do them, only that they kept making similar purchases.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: puffff
Originally posted by: PeeluckyDuckee
lol I love how this thread has backfired. OP needs to keep her attitude in check.

Dudes...
when i read the original post, nowhere did I get the feeling that the OP was trying to show off.

Agreed. There are a few posters in here who apparently have reading comprehension problems.

You haven't been around a bunch of "competing housewives" then. The way the OP talked is exactly how women talk about other women who are "competing with them" in an attempt to put down the other women when they in fact are just as bad at the act as anyone else. I despise the whole group of them...the ones who try to keep up and the ones who feel the need to put them down...they are all in the same lot.

I saw it as two topics in one - the first, how she's scored some excellent deals. A lot of people here have posted those without drawing scorn from the rest of the crowd. (I'm kinda envious of the riding lawnmower deal. I need a new one this spring because my kids have about destroyed the other one. We've definitely gotten our use out of it though.) I'll be hitting all the estate sales soon...

But, I've seen exactly what she's talking about in the other part of her thread - a neighbor who appears to try to be "keeping up with the Joneses" as she puts it. There's nothing in her thread that indicates that she's attempting to out do them, only that they kept making similar purchases.

I rate your response 5*

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: compman25
Originally posted by: sdifox
Here is my postulate on what happened
M= Man who lives from across the street
W= Said man's wife

M sees delivery trucks, tries to divert W from seeing them and fail miserably. Starts cursing neighbour across the street for what he knows will come
F is fuming that neighbour across the street is getting new washer, dryer and couch, nags M to get the same thing, never mind her exising ones are only 5 year old
M tries to talk F out of it, spents a week on the forementioned couch, find it not very comfortable and gives in, warning F that it is the vacation money she is squandering
F happily goes shopping, notices the big sign from Rent-a-Centre, figures renting is cheaper than buying, she gets to get the new stuff and go on vacation too! Walks in and rent everything for 3 year contract, with extended warranty
M fumes when F describes the amazing deal she got on the stuff, storms off to home depot and buys a mower. But since he is really short on money, buys a cheaper one.

Who the hell is "F" in your story? And why tell us about "W" and not use her in it ever? Your story telling fails.

Lol, I failed... my brain switch gear to Male/Female...

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
lol.. seems like I touched a nerve with people here. Not surprising considering the demographic that comes to a tech forum. Not that either lifestyle is better, living in a big house with lots of things has its benefits. But yes you can vacation 90% of the time and work 10% and live comfortably. You'll have TV, internet, a comfy bed in a temperature-controlled home, if you're lucky you'll even have a balcony with a view. I'm surprised how harshly some of you attack me for this, calling me an idiot and whatnot.

I say neither lifestyle is better but I made fun of the OP for being materialistic because she is so wrapped up in that mindset that she gets a kick out of the neighbor buying the same stuff as her.. when they are both equally stupid in my view for buying a bunch of useless crap to begin with.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Next steps, boobs implants. Wins for everybody.

Better yet, post naked pics of yourself on here, then brag to your neighbor. Hopefully she will one-up you and register and give us full videos!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhill
Originally posted by: SSSnail
Next steps, boobs implants. Wins for everybody.

Better yet, post naked pics of yourself on here, then brag to your neighbor. Hopefully she will one-up you and register and give us full videos!

I think pics are necessary first.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry, but we're not trying ot keep up with anyone.

You are showing off the moment you bragged about how well your stock did in order to finance your lifestyle.

Funny how the market didn't end all that well last year, so your claims are back to bragging.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: theGlove
funny thread but i bet the neighbor's wife had a big play in all this

read my post ( about 10 before yours)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You seem awfully snooty about the whole situation. You're doing the same thing they are; you're staring out the window and evaluating what they own, trying to make yourself feel better by saying what you bought is better. You're both trying to keep up with each other.

Exactly what I thought when I read this. The OP also felt the need to explain how each and every item they got a "steal" on...that is a telltale sign of someone who has to "keep up with the joneses". I've noticed that a lot of the worst offenders of this behavior also tend to deny it the most.

Sorry, but we're not trying ot keep up with anyone. No, wati....I drag my desktop computer outside all the time to "show it off".....including the new Thermochill 120.3 radiator I just got for it.......

As for the washer/dryer....they're LG's.....the washer is called a Tromm. Nice washer. Didn't want to flaunt it, but since you asked, pup.

We're not flaunting or bragging.....well, maybe because we got deals. But I'm a Ferengi, much as RossMan is.....and he certainly crowed about the car he bought below cost a year or so ago. Seems some can do it and some cannot.

C'est la vie.......

And for suburban crap.........ever mowed 3+ acres of grass with a push mower, kid? Or don't you think owning a mower worthwhile? Want neighbors that don't mow their grass?

Or what do you use to wash your clothes.....from your comment, certainly not a washer and dryer? How's the rock and stream working for you?

;)

LOL now she has to tell us how big her 3+ acre lawn is!

You are hilarious, simply hilarious.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko

C'est la vie.......

;)

I think it's a pretty good description, vs a "large" lawn.

Srsly.
<--- doesn't get the hate flowing towards the OP

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Ns1

Srsly.

Something about the whole "look at me I'm better than my neighbor, and hehe look at them trying to keep up with my awesomeness!" thing.

ps OP, you also said "maybe they couldn't afford a new car"...maybe they realize that buying a brand new car is generally a poor financial move, especially if that particular model turns out to be junk? Wow, your neighbor is so much smarter than you it's unreal.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Ns1

Srsly.

Something about the whole "look at me I'm better than my neighbor, and hehe look at them trying to keep up with my awesomeness!" thing.

ps OP, you also said "maybe they couldn't afford a new car"...maybe they realize that buying a brand new car is generally a poor financial move, especially if that particular model turns out to be junk? Wow, your neighbor is so much smarter than you it's unreal.

Meh, I see it as

"we were ferengi and bought x things. stupid ass neighbor tried to copy us, item for item". Small brag here and there but nothing the rest of ATOT hasn't done.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I think your neighbors are losers if they are purchasing things just because you are purchasing them.

Why don't you experiment? Buy something unorthodox, something unnecessary, like a small fountain and put it in your front yard. If you see the people across the street do the same, then they're just annoying losers who aren't happy with who they are.

In fact, it should be something more subtle, like wind chimes. That way they really have to be paying attention to your estate to notice something that small, and if they are, then label them douches and move on.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: oiprocs
I think your neighbors are losers if they are purchasing things just because you are purchasing them.

Why don't you experiment? Buy something unorthodox, something unnecessary, like a small fountain and put it in your front yard. If you see the people across the street do the same, then they're just annoying losers who aren't happy with who they are.

In fact, it should be something more subtle, like wind chimes. That way they really have to be paying attention to your estate to notice something that small, and if they are, then label them douches and move on.

For added hilarity, borrow a friend's nice car for 3 weeks. See if they play catchup.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Farang
lol.. seems like I touched a nerve with people here. Not surprising considering the demographic that comes to a tech forum. Not that either lifestyle is better, living in a big house with lots of things has its benefits. But yes you can vacation 90% of the time and work 10% and live comfortably. You'll have TV, internet, a comfy bed in a temperature-controlled home, if you're lucky you'll even have a balcony with a view. I'm surprised how harshly some of you attack me for this, calling me an idiot and whatnot.

Shens on the 90% vacation time and still being able to pay for electricity, internet, etc.
Oh, wait a second, you still live with your parents? That explains it. :p

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang

Shens on the 90% vacation time and still being able to pay for electricity, internet, etc.
Oh, wait a second, you still live with your parents? That explains it. :p

Assuming 40 hours week, 4 weeks month, 12 months year, that's 1920 hours a year. Working 10% of the time equates to 192 hours.

192@10 = $1,920 (maggot working retail)
192@50 = $9,600 (massage therapist, independent)
192@500 = $96,000 (partner at normal sized law firm)

All this doesn't include taxes.

So either you're making gobs of money, live in a 3rd world country, or are full of shit. Let us not forget that by not working, it gives you WAY MORE TIME to spend money.