Sometimes, "Keeping up with the Joneses" is just toooo funny!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
You seem awfully snooty about the whole situation. You're doing the same thing they are; you're staring out the window and evaluating what they own, trying to make yourself feel better by saying what you bought is better. You're both trying to keep up with each other.

I can't think of a single time I've ever cared about what my neighbor bought.

QFT.

hah Rent-a-center is sucha rip off. when my washer was dieing we went to look for a new one. stoped in at RAC to look. they had one for $20 a week for 52 weeks ($1040) for the washer and same for a new dryer.

i couldndt believe it. We went next door to Lowes and they had the SAME set for $200 each! hah!

ended up getting a closeout special for $300 (they had a few dings and a dent but work great).

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: waffleironhead
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: eleison

maybe they are "into" buying the same suburban cr*p that you are into? Just go over and congratulate them on joining the "collective"; I'm sure the 3.5 children is just waiting in the wing.

This reeks of "desperate house wifes" sort of drama. Maybe joining a club or starting a hobby will make life more interesting.

A couch, a washer, a dryer, and a lawnmower are "suburban crap?" :confused:

Hip modern city type folk dont have washer and dryers, they send the stuff to the cleaners, no lawn=no lawnmower. Couches are teh suck wherever you live.

Not to mention the car... Blazers.. PLuuuLeezze!! I drive a Prius.. If you want to get with the "in crowd", got to roll with the energy efficient, global vehicles that are green... if not, at least get a vespa...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

maybe they are "into" buying the same suburban cr*p that you are into? Just go over and congratulate them on joining the "collective"; I'm sure the 3.5 children is just waiting in the wing.

This reeks of "desperate house wifes" sort of drama. Maybe joining a club or starting a hobby will make life more interesting.

Hip modern city type folk dont have washer and dryers, they send the stuff to the cleaners, no lawn=no lawnmower.

it's true.

doing your own laundry is for total plebs.

I drop all my laundry off once/week on my way to work, pick it up on my way home, and it's ftw :thumbsup:

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I find it odd to want to "compete" with strangers basically.

I couldn't give a damn what my neighbors recently bought.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

Hip modern city type folk dont have washer and dryers, they send the stuff to the cleaners, no lawn=no lawnmower.

it's true.

I drop all my laundry off once/week on my way to work, pick it up on my way home, and it's ftw :thumbsup:

Does mom fold it for you too?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Descartes
You seem awfully snooty about the whole situation. You're doing the same thing they are; you're staring out the window and evaluating what they own, trying to make yourself feel better by saying what you bought is better. You're both trying to keep up with each other.

I can't think of a single time I've ever cared about what my neighbor bought.

QFT.

hah Rent-a-center is sucha rip off. when my washer was dieing we went to look for a new one. stoped in at RAC to look. they had one for $20 a week for 52 weeks ($1040) for the washer and same for a new dryer.

i couldndt believe it. We went next door to Lowes and they had the SAME set for $200 each! hah!

ended up getting a closeout special for $300 (they had a few dings and a dent but work great).

like someone else said, its more for people who need something temporarily. although i don't doubt people do it on a more permanent basis and thats where RAC really makes out.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
This thread fails... you spend the entire post describing all the crap you just bought then at the end say "oh yeah, our neighbor bought it right after us."

Braggart.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I bet for all the money you spent on that useless crap I could've lived comfortably for 6 months in a tropical paradise. $1800 for something that cuts grass? That's 2-3 months right there, more if you live cheaply.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Chryso
Originally posted by: loki8481

it's true.

Does mom fold it for you too?

my parents live like 50 miles away :p

but the lady who does my laundry folds it quite nicely :)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
I bet for all the money you spent on that useless crap I could've lived comfortably for 6 months in a tropical paradise. $1800 for something that cuts grass? That's 2-3 months right there, more if you live cheaply.

to be fair, she said they spent less than $700 on it. its retail price was $1800

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: lokiju
I find it odd to want to "compete" with strangers basically.

I couldn't give a damn what my neighbors recently bought.

I don't have a clue what my neighbors have bought recently or not so recently nor do I care.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

to be fair, she said they spent less than $700 on it. its retail price was $1800

Still 1 month in paradise or. . . something that cuts grass. I guess most people don't price things how I do though :p

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000

Still 1 month in paradise or. . . something that cuts grass. I guess most people don't price things how I do though :p

I'm sure you can find someone that would do it for $20/mo. That's about 3 years worth of having it done without lifting a finger :D

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

so i assume you're 12 and your parents cut the grass or you live in an apartment or something where you have no grass? its something that has to be done. (normal) people can't just take vacation all the time.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

so i assume you're 12 and your parents cut the grass or you live in an apartment or something where you have no grass? its something that has to be done. (normal) people can't just take vacation all the time.

There are much cheaper ways of cutting grass. Normal people can take vacation 90% of the time but choose instead to buy massive quantities of useless crap.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

really no shit? WOW!!!! i wonder how long a family in Sudan could live on 1800.00? i bet they could stretch it to 3 years if they lived cheaply.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
:music: .. me and.. me and... Mrs. Jones, we've got a thing.. goin on... :music:

Well, hello thar ;)

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004

I want to know more about this paradise I can live in for $700/month.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

thats idiotic.

the lawnmower will last 20 years if he takes care of it. thats 20 years of not paying someone to do it. Sure you can live somwhere with no lawn but for some thats not really a option.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Chryso

I want to know more about this paradise I can live in for $700/month.

Most places in the Philippines it can be easily done. Bungalow with private bath, beachfront, eat out all the time you could keep it under $700.