Something to look forward to when you reach middle age, kiddos!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: mordantmonkey
did you not consider that the woman is no longer interested in sex with the man? or any man? (loss of sex drive).

If she's no longer interested, she could at least take one for the team or "go along with it."

I think 99% of women would rather "pretend" to enjoy sex than allow their husbands to cheat.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
Originally posted by: GeekbabeI know more than a few women in this situation and it's like one gal said"I'm 53, I'm supposed to do what? rip apart our retirement funds prematurely to go live alone in a studio, date?' no, he has his life and I have mine,we're comfortable and get along pretty well."
I don't understand how an old fart like that meets any women. Sure, there are a few rich guys in the world that can score chicks even when they are old but that's only ~2% of the population and not all of them are looking for action. Why would any women except and equally old women no longer interested in sex be interested in an old guy like that?

lot of young women around that really go for older menm it's not exactly rare.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: JLGatsby
did you not consider that the woman is no longer interested in sex with the man? or any man? (loss of sex drive).

If she's no longer interested, she could at least take one for the team or "go along with it."

I think 99% of women would rather "pretend" to enjoy sex than allow their husbands to cheat.

I'm really not about to get into a debate with you about the various adaptions different couples make in mid-life. I don't think I'd much enjoy an intimate act with a partner who only went thru with it because they felt obligated and I'd expect most other people would rather not have such experiences either.

JLGatsby

Banned
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Successful long term relationships very often happen because the couple are basically friends and get on well in the day to day.Unfortunately familarity and the ravages of time often kills the sex, I'd imagine for such couples having an understanding beats the alternative of divorce.Many couples also find that their relationship gets even better once the struggles around sexual issues are ended.

I suppose, but I'm sort of an advocate of respect in a relationship. You just shouldn't disrespect your wife like that. I'm not some uptight religious nut or anything and in fact I plan to never marry, but I still hold in high esteem a "respectful" marriage.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Successful long term relationships very often happen because the couple are basically friends and get on well in the day to day.Unfortunately familarity and the ravages of time often kills the sex, I'd imagine for such couples having an understanding beats the alternative of divorce.Many couples also find that their relationship gets even better once the struggles around sexual issues are ended.

I suppose, but I'm sort of an advocate of respect in a relationship. You just shouldn't disrespect your wife like that. I'm not some uptight religious nut or anything and in fact I plan to never marry, but I still hold in high esteem a "respectful" marriage.

I'm not condoning disrespect,just pointing out that different couples handle this issue in different ways.

You're also not looking at the mid-life crisis aspect of this, some people find it more pragmatic to wait out the storm than to destroy a marriage of many years duration based on mere physical flings.

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
probably because you present it as though it were fact. but maybe that's just my interpretation.

In reality it's opinion, although in my mind it's fact. :D

<GASP>
:eek:
<GASP>
I actually agree with JLGatsby about something...

Call 911...I think I'm having a heart attack.

:D

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: GalvanizedYankee
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Of course it does. You learn to appreciate different things in your partner. For example, I would not kick 56yo femme fatale Morgan Fairchild out of bed because she has vellus hair.

Believe it or not, blonds have more body hair than dark haired women ;)

Not. That's a myth.

Usually lighter haired people have less body hair.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Geekbabe, it sounds like you are projecting in this thread.

Just come out and say it.

Geekbabe

Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

come out and say what exactly dear?

I've lived long enough to know that you'd often be surprised at the way folks conduct their private lives and come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as absolutes.
The nature of love and the human condition is a strange thing.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
For those who might not know, increased growth of facial hair just before and just after a woman's menopause is a common phenomenon and occurs primarily because of diminished estrogen levels. So dudes, just because one day the love of your life might be sporting a fine pilosity (vellus hair), that is no reason to get a sport car and go after young ladies. Hirsutism can also result from medication and eating disorders. Keep that in mind as you youngins clamor for thinner and thinner body images amongst actresses and models. Their facial hair may trickle down to your girlfriend if she emulates the overexercising/not eating enough lifestyle to get that waif look you so cherish.

Remember also that your ears and nose will get bigger (this never stops) and start showing their own hair that needs to be nuked from orbit and still regenerates faster than Wolverine. :p

Dude, I liked you better when you were banned. :p

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003

I've lived long enough to know that you'd often be surprised at the way folks conduct their private lives and come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as absolutes.

After reading everything you have posted in this thread, i must say this.

Being middle aged myself, and my contemporaries being the same... i have never, ever heard of a woman take this and accept it in a loving marriage. Not a woman with self respect who cared about herself as a women.

But in any case... this is a really sad message to portray to ppl reading this, especially young women, who might think that this is actually acceptable4.

these ppl you know that accept this... wow, how sad, are not as common in the people i know in all the countries and states that i have lived in my life. It is just incredibly sad for them.
:(

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

After reading everything you have posted in this thread, i must say this.

Being middle aged myself, and my contemporaries being the same... i have never, ever heard of a woman take this and accept it in a loving marriage. Not a woman with self respect who cared about herself as a women.

But in any case... this is a really sad message to portray to ppl reading this, especially young women, who might think that this is actually acceptable4.

these ppl you know that accept this... wow, how sad, are not as common in the people i know in all the countries and states that i have lived in my life. It is just incredibly sad for them.
:(

I agree, I didn't think GeekBabe could be that depressing. :(