Something terrible has happened to me.

S

SlitheryDee

NATCHEZ ? A Natchez man was held today on murder charges in the weekend shooting deaths of two Louisiana men outside a night club in this Mississippi River town.

Kevin Book, 31, surrendered to police Saturday afternoon.

Police Chief Mike Mullins said department was alerted to a shooting around 4 a.m. Saturday in front of the In the Mix night club. He said officers found Roy Rushing, 49, of Ferriday, La., and Michael McMillian, 31, of Monterey, La., lying dead on the ground outside the club.

The shooter had fled the scene before officers arrived, Mullins said.

Police said eyewitnesses identified the shooter as Book.

Adams County Coroner James Lee said that the crime scene was one of the "most brutal" he has ever seen.

"Both men were shot in the head at close range, in my opinion," Lee said.

Police went to Book house Saturday morning but could not locate the suspect. They returned later in the day and found Book barricaded inside the house.

"The suspect had put a refrigerator in front of the door and had gone up into the attic," Mullins said.

A special response team surrounded the house and was able to talk Book into voluntarily surrendering without incident, Mullins said.

"Right now we do not have a motive," Mullins said. "We do believe (the suspect) knew at least one of the victims."

The shooting deaths of McMillian and Rushing are the second and third homicides of the year for Natchez.

link

Roy Rushing was my father. His funeral was today. I'm really sad.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
rose.gif
Sorry for your loss.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
oh my god.

im terribly sorry to hear of your loss OP. i hope you get the closure you need and have my condolences.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: maziwanka
oh my god.

im terribly sorry to hear of your loss OP. i hope you get the closure you need and have my condolences.

Thank you. It's been an extremely difficult day, especially the long drive home. Next monday I have to go to his house and start going through his things. I don't know how I'm going to get through it.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
:shocked: Sorry to hear that! I hope that you keep his memory alive in your thoughts and aspirations!
rose.gif

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
Thats terrible, you have my condolences. I am very sorry for your loss.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
:(
rose.gif
I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences for you and your family

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
sorry for your loss... what was he doing in front of a night club anyway?

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
NATCHEZ ? A Natchez man was held today on murder charges in the weekend shooting deaths of two Louisiana men outside a night club in this Mississippi River town.

Kevin Book, 31, surrendered to police Saturday afternoon.

Police Chief Mike Mullins said department was alerted to a shooting around 4 a.m. Saturday in front of the In the Mix night club. He said officers found Roy Rushing, 49, of Ferriday, La., and Michael McMillian, 31, of Monterey, La., lying dead on the ground outside the club.

The shooter had fled the scene before officers arrived, Mullins said.

Police said eyewitnesses identified the shooter as Book.

Adams County Coroner James Lee said that the crime scene was one of the "most brutal" he has ever seen.

"Both men were shot in the head at close range, in my opinion," Lee said.

Police went to Book house Saturday morning but could not locate the suspect. They returned later in the day and found Book barricaded inside the house.

"The suspect had put a refrigerator in front of the door and had gone up into the attic," Mullins said.

A special response team surrounded the house and was able to talk Book into voluntarily surrendering without incident, Mullins said.

"Right now we do not have a motive," Mullins said. "We do believe (the suspect) knew at least one of the victims."

The shooting deaths of McMillian and Rushing are the second and third homicides of the year for Natchez.

link

Roy Rushing was my father. His funeral was today. I'm really sad.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Just try and think that your father is in a better place now, with God to look over him.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: Savarak
sorry for your loss... what was he doing in front of a night club anyway?

Well my dad was a very social person. He had more friends than I'll ever have, the hundreds of people that attended his wake and funeral are a testament to this. He also liked to hang out at bars with his buddies, sometimes until late at night. That may or may not be acceptable behavior to some, but he was always about enjoying life. I'll admit that he probably lived more in his last year than I have in my entire life.

He was an incredibly friendly, jovial, and personable man who could make everyone he came in contact with feel that they were his special friend. This is something that I cannot begin to emulate or even describe, but it's true nevertheless. He loved living, and he lived until the end.

I have a picture of him from before I was born showing him barechested in a fishing boat
pulling a catfish off of his hook wearing a hat that said "Good to look at, Better to touch" which everyone says is a classic depiction of how he lived. I rather like this image of him.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
I am sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I wish you and your family well as they cope with this immense loss. My sympathies.

S

SlitheryDee

Originally posted by: Jassi
I am sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I wish you and your family well as they cope with this immense loss. My sympathies.

My grandparents are taking this very hard. I can't stand to think about it really. My father was their only son, and they invested all that they were in him as parents of single children always do. They were very strong during the services, but at home we all revealed how totally broken we are.

I suppose I'm not as affected because I've been away for the majority of the past four years, while they were with him running the family business. It tears me up that even though I've been lax in my visitations, he was always there with enormous smile and a bear hug whenever I visited. I'm an idiot for taking that for granted.

Edit: once again, thank you all for your condolences.