Someone Worth Voting for? End the war on drugs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Well, it would encourage the cartels to pump up the cocaine, heroin, and meth supply to counter act their lost revenue from weed. Legalizing weed under the illusion that it's going to hurt the cartels is as bad as believing that the War on Drugs™ can be won.

It could also encourage cartels to just have a white and black market arm, and if all drugs were legalized the entire cartel could just be white market. There are other things that still need trafficking if they decide to not go into legitimate business, weapons and people come to mind.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
http://biggovernment.com/gjohnson/2012/01/16/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs/

How true... Keep voting for the two party cluster F**K. Republican OR Democrat? Doesn't matter they are both the same and are working again the American People for their own gain.

I keep hearing this crap that Democrats and Republicans are the same on this issue. They're not. Democrats in California pushed through prop 215 which made medical marijuana legal.
They also passed the decriminalization of marijuana many years ago which made posession of one ounce or less a $100 fine. Recently, they passed a bill that made possession an infraction, like a traffic ticket.

Just hours before the state's legislative session ended Tuesday, the California Assembly voted to approve SB 1449, Sen. Mark Leno's (Democrat) bill to fully decriminalize simple marijuana possession. The bill passed the Senate in June and now goes to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's desk.
The vote was 43-33 and largely along party lines. Democrats supported the bill 40-8, while Republicans opposed it 23-2.

Marijuana possession is the only California misdemeanor with a set maximum fine and no possible jail time. The Leno bill changes the offense to an infraction, meaning no arrest, no booking, no court appearance, and no criminal record.
Keeping simple possession a misdemeanor has had "serious unintended consequences," the San Francisco Democrat said. "As the number of misdemeanor marijuana possession arrests have surged in recent years, reaching 61,388 in 2008, the burden placed on the courts by these low level offenses is just too much to bear at a time when resources are shrinking and caseloads are growing." So much for small government conservatives...

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Ron Paul is also for the end of the war on drugs. "Prohibition doesn't work. Prohibition causes crime."

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I keep hearing this crap that Democrats and Republicans are the same on this issue. They're not. Democrats in California pushed through prop 215 which made medical marijuana legal.
They also passed the decriminalization of marijuana many years ago which made posession of one ounce or less a $100 fine. Recently, they passed a bill that made possession an infraction, like a traffic ticket.

Just hours before the state's legislative session ended Tuesday, the California Assembly voted to approve SB 1449, Sen. Mark Leno's (Democrat) bill to fully decriminalize simple marijuana possession. The bill passed the Senate in June and now goes to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's desk.
The vote was 43-33 and largely along party lines. Democrats supported the bill 40-8, while Republicans opposed it 23-2.

Marijuana possession is the only California misdemeanor with a set maximum fine and no possible jail time. The Leno bill changes the offense to an infraction, meaning no arrest, no booking, no court appearance, and no criminal record.
Keeping simple possession a misdemeanor has had "serious unintended consequences," the San Francisco Democrat said. "As the number of misdemeanor marijuana possession arrests have surged in recent years, reaching 61,388 in 2008, the burden placed on the courts by these low level offenses is just too much to bear at a time when resources are shrinking and caseloads are growing." So much for small government conservatives...

Thats all state level. Tell your story to the federal government Democrats and let me know what they say.

Anyway, you don't have much of a point since California is leader in trying to get MJ laws passed ... yeah, good work. But the point to all this? It's still the 2 party system. Vote in who you want. I know a 3rd party probably won't win... But at least I won't be voting for the same old shit you will be voting for.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It doesn't matter what happens in the real world. God said drug users are evil so we should continue fighting.

Not that I believe in it, but "God" said no such thing. Religious people though, that's another story. Same is true of Abortion, Religious people are against it, "God" really had nothing to say about it. That said, Religious people are not all bad, "God" is perfectly fine with Slavery, but Religious people oppose it. Go figure. o_O

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How does that hold true within a state to the same degree as it would in anarchy?

Are you claiming that might doesn't make right under an organized government?

Who is right, you or a billionaire? You or the president?

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
You know noteth of what you speak...;):

No LiuKangBakinPie, you are quite incorrect to assume marijuana as to be relatively unprofitable and other illicit drugs comprising the greatest proportion of business. With a couple of current examples off the top of my head, I have quickly cited against your position and demonstrated reality to presently be quite the opposite.

Oh don't I
Colin Standfield Google that name

12 gram of pot has a value of R5 devide by 10 to get the US $ amount
Meth goes for R200 to R300 per gram
Crack goes for R350 and up per gram

So tell me how much pot you must sell to equal to 1 gram of meth or crack
Then you have to look its illegal so its hard to hide 50kg's of pot where 300 grams of meth can easily be hidden anywhere. I live in the Cape Flats where drug merchants rule and been a detective for 5years. So i know what has more value and what they are making their money out of. Out of 1 gram of meth they make about R2000 thats $200 where they pay around $20 for a gram. Pot is pocket change

Last edited:

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
LiuKangBakinPie, with citations you were proven to be wrong.

Regardless of your personal and provincial local market opinion upon comparing individual valuation among different illicit drugs, that does not magically increase the overall market size for any such valuable drug. As cited, the marijuana market size is incredibly larger than the combination of all other illicit drugs, and it thereby provides the greatest percentage of income to cartels.

Accept the facts and your error, or keep up an argument for argument's sake.

Last edited:

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
LiuKangBakinPie, with citations you were proven to be wrong.

Regardless of your personal and provincial local market opinion upon comparing individual valuation among different illicit drugs, that does not magically increase the overall market size for any such valuable drug. As cited, the marijuana market size is incredibly larger than the combination of all other illicit drugs, and it thereby provides the greatest percentage of income to cartels.

Accept the facts and your error, or keep up an argument for argument's sake.

Prices for commercial-grade marijuana have remained relatively stable over the past decade, ranging from approximately $400 to $1,000 per pound in U.S. Southwest border areas to between $700 to $2000 per pound in the Midwest and northeastern United States. The national price range for sinsemilla, a higher quality marijuana usually grown domestically, is between $900 and $6,000 per pound. BC Bud sells for between $1,500 and $2,000 per pound in Vancouver; but when smuggled into the United States, it sells for between $5,000 and $8,000 per pound in major metropolitan areas.

Nationwide, in 2000, SA heroin ranged from $50,000 to $200,000 per kilogram. SEA and SWA heroin ranged in price from $40,000 to $190,000 per kilogram. Wholesale-level prices for Mexican heroin were the lowest of any type, ranging from $13,200 to $175,000 per kilogram. The wide range in kilogram prices reflects variables such as buyer/seller relationships, quantities purchased, purchase frequencies, purity, and transportation costs.

Cocaine prices in 2001 remained low and stable, suggesting a steady supply to the United States. Nationwide, wholesale cocaine prices ranged from $12,000 to $35,000 per kilogram. In most major metropolitan areas, however, the price of a kilogram of cocaine ranged from $13,000 to $25,000. Average purity for cocaine at the gram, ounce, and kilogram levels remained stable at high levels. In 2001, the average purity of a kilogram of cocaine was 73 percent. Typically, cocaine HCl is converted into crack cocaine, or "rock," within the United States by the secondary wholesaler or retailer. Crack cocaine is often packaged in vials, glassine bags, and film canisters. The size of a crack rock can vary, but generally ranges from 1/10 to 1/2 gram. Rocks can sell for as low as $3 to as high as $50, but prices generally range from $10 to $20.

http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/drug_trafficking.html

You don't get it seriously. No matter how many people use it even if its a 2 to 1 ratio Marijuana is not more profitable. Because other drugs cause ten times more per gram and is far more additictive. Most of them your hooked on 1 usage. I made no mistake I speak from experience something you try to find on the internet. Numbers on a webpage doesn't tell you the profit made. Amount of users of a drug doesn't include profit made because one is way more cheaper than a other. For a single hit of crack or meth you have to sell about 50 joints of pot to make the same amount. I mean cmon $1000 compared to $25000 to $50000? Did you see that movie from Denzil Washington called Gangster? Its a true story you know that? Did you think he made all of that selling pot? No he made rooms full of cash selling crack and such.

Then you have to look at the abused medical subscriptions of pot they include in those statistics. You have no cue how much defference the profit margin is between pot and crack/meth etc etc. Here the small small wannabe dealers sell pot. Some communities 80 percent of the community use it and about 50 percent meth and others. But that pot dealer still ends up being a small busted broken ass dealer that struggle to afford a car where the crack and meth dealers drive the newest models cars, double story houses. Maybe you should go out into the real world and go look what the profit margins is between them. Its huge. What keeps the drug industry going is its huge profit margins. Producing drugs is a very cheap process. Like any commodities business the closer you are to the source the cheaper the product. Processed cocaine is available in Colombia for $1500 dollars per kilo and sold on the streets of America for as much as $66,000 a kilo (retail). Heroin costs $2,600/kilo in Pakistan, but can be sold on the streets of America for $130,000/kilo (retail). And synthetics like methamphetamine are often even cheaper to manufacture costing approximately $300 to $500 per kilo to produce in clandestine labs in the US and abroad and sold on US streets for up to $60,000/kilo (retail).

Cocaine drug expenditure in 98 was 39 Billion while pot was a mere 10.7billion
Hell it doesn't take a rocket scientist 39 billion vs 10.7 billion???? Pot is small change. Out of a total of 65 billion although its more used the user spend 10.7 billion on it compare to them spending 39 billion on cocaine.

So I made no mistake as I'm talking about real world vs your Internet world. It's not how many users you got its how much you sell it for in its package 50 cents vs 10 to 20 dollars? You have to sell the whole of mexico's pot and you will still end up making less than the columbian selling tons less of his white powder

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Most of them your hooked on 1 usage. I made no mistake I speak from experience something you try to find on the internet.
LOL! If that was even remotely true almost everyone would be addicted.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/drug_trafficking.html

You don't get it seriously. No matter how many people use it even if its a 2 to 1 ratio Marijuana is not more profitable. Because other drugs cause ten times more per gram and is far more additictive. Most of them your hooked on 1 usage. I made no mistake I speak from experience something you try to find on the internet. Numbers on a webpage doesn't tell you the profit made. Amount of users of a drug doesn't include profit made because one is way more cheaper than a other. For a single hit of crack or meth you have to sell about 50 joints of pot to make the same amount. I mean cmon $1000 compared to $25000 to $50000? Did you see that movie from Denzil Washington called Gangster? Its a true story you know that? Did you think he made all of that selling pot? No he made rooms full of cash selling crack and such.

Then you have to look at the abused medical subscriptions of pot they include in those statistics. You have no cue how much defference the profit margin is between pot and crack/meth etc etc. Here the small small wannabe dealers sell pot. Some communities 80 percent of the community use it and about 50 percent meth and others. But that pot dealer still ends up being a small busted broken ass dealer that struggle to afford a car where the crack and meth dealers drive the newest models cars, double story houses. Maybe you should go out into the real world and go look what the profit margins is between them. Its huge. What keeps the drug industry going is its huge profit margins. Producing drugs is a very cheap process. Like any commodities business the closer you are to the source the cheaper the product. Processed cocaine is available in Colombia for $1500 dollars per kilo and sold on the streets of America for as much as $66,000 a kilo (retail). Heroin costs $2,600/kilo in Pakistan, but can be sold on the streets of America for $130,000/kilo (retail). And synthetics like methamphetamine are often even cheaper to manufacture costing approximately $300 to $500 per kilo to produce in clandestine labs in the US and abroad and sold on US streets for up to $60,000/kilo (retail).

Hell it doesn't take a rocket scientist 39 billion vs 10.7 billion???? Pot is small change. Out of a total of 65 billion although its more used the user spend 10.7 billion on it compare to them spending 39 billion on cocaine.

So I made no mistake as I'm talking about real world vs your Internet world. It's not how many users you got its how much you sell it for in its package 50 cents vs 10 to 20 dollars? You have to sell the whole of mexico's pot and you will still end up making less than the columbian selling tons less of his white powder

What's the difference if its all legalized?

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
LiuKangBakinPie, all of your citations from the US justice department were of costs/unit of certain illicit drugs. Nothing countered my contemporary citations covering 60% of Mexican cartel illicit drugs profits coming from marijuana. No did you counter citations of my local jurisdiction of BC for the overwhelming market size and gross profit from marijuana in comparison to the remainder of illicit drugs.

To further your follow, you pull this unreferenced market share tally, apparently all the way back to 1998:
Try harder.

Your personal retired local cop anecdotes of a certain inner city region in the USA and its localised market preference for certain hard drugs over pot, does not necessarily transpose to the wider marketplace nor profit tallies for far larger groups of organised crime.

I respect your posting efforts, but countering proportions of total profits and market share to just that of profit margins of just individuals widgets is that of apples to oranges.