Someone Worth Voting for? End the war on drugs

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://biggovernment.com/gjohnson/2012/01/16/its-time-to-end-the-war-on-drugs/

When marijuana is legal, farmed and taxed, we will suck the lifeblood from violent gangs and place the money in the public good. We tax and regulate alcohol and cigarettes, and we prevent kids from using these dangerous substances. Marijuana is no more dangerous than those, and yet Democrats and Republicans can only unite to allow this weed to fund entire armies of crime.

How true... Keep voting for the two party cluster F**K. Republican OR Democrat? Doesn't matter they are both the same and are working again the American People for their own gain.

I haven't read or heard much on this guy but so far I like what I read.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
With you on that as well. There is No quick answer to solve this problem but...BUT!!!

It's definitely better than the two party solution: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com

When marijuana is legal, farmed and taxed, we will suck the lifeblood from violent gangs and place the money in the public good. We tax and regulate alcohol and cigarettes, and we prevent kids from using these dangerous substances. Marijuana is no more dangerous than those, and yet Democrats and Republicans can only unite to allow this weed to fund entire armies of crime.

How true... Keep voting for the two party cluster F**K. Republican OR Democrat? Doesn't matter they are both the same and are working again the American People for their own gain.

He's not even close to Dr. Paul. I mean, he's okay, but he weighs things on a cost-benefit analysis.

I would def be open to legalizing weed. Crack and all that nope :)
Everything should be legalized because making it illegal just drives it underground. I'm surprised and unhappy that more people don't understand that that applies to everything, not just alcohol, not just marijuana, and not just drugs. In a stateless society, murderers may have to pay restitution for what they did. With the state, there may not be a cost paid by murderers and there's a guarantee that agents of the state won't have to pay anything to murder someone.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Everything should be legalized because making it illegal just drives it underground. I'm surprised and unhappy that more people don't understand that that applies to everything, not just alcohol, not just marijuana, and not just drugs. In a stateless society, murderers may have to pay restitution for what they did. With the state, there may not be a cost paid by murderers and there's a guarantee that agents of the state won't have to pay anything to murder someone.
No. No need to expound as you've already been told why before that this is ridiculous.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not sure there's much violence associated with the growth, distribution and sale of marijuana. So I don't really feel that legalizing it would defang the more vicious drug gangs, who would still be doing their business revolving around meth, crack, cocaine, heroin, spice, etc.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

Prevent kids from cigarettes and alcohol?:biggrin:

What planet are you living on, American culture does nothing but promote the use of cigarettes and alcohol as being cool and trendy and any kid that wants it can get alcohol and cigarettes.

Numbers and Statistics

Underage smoking is a major health threat among U.S. children and teens. According to Medline Plus, nearly 25 percent of U.S. high school students are smokers, and an additional 8 percent use smokeless tobacco products, such as snuff and dip. What's more, an estimated 30 percent of young smokers eventually will develop long-term smoking habits and will die prematurely from a tobacco-related condition.

Causes

Many factors play into a child's decision to try tobacco. A desire to appear older and more mature or to rebel against parents often prompts kids and teens to experiment with tobacco.

Peer pressure and a desire to fit in with other smokers plays a role for many children, while media influence and general curiosity about the effects of cigarettes can also sway the decisions of underage smokers. Other potential causes include tobacco advertisements, enjoyment of the effects of cigarettes and ignorance of the health risks.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/210918-facts-about-underage-smoking/#ixzz1jgVvuYsS

Alcohol is even easier because you don't need a parent or guardians permission to go to a party if your over 18,
even though consumption and possession does not become legal until 21.

http://www.thesharkguys.com/lists/top-10-out-of-control-college-parties/

According to National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, around 88% of college students including students under 21 have used alcohol. This percentage may not sound so big, but thinking about thousands of students drinking underage or drinking and driving in college really shocks all of us. Another problem is violence. When students get drunk, they tend to get violent and it leads to riots. They have fights with each other and start breaking windows and doors, so many business owners are affected. One small action leads to a greater action that requires greater responsibility. Hence parties should be reduced in college, no matter what, to make the campus a better place to live and study.

It is possible to drink legally and safely - when you're over 21. But if you're under 21, or if you drink too much at any age, alcohol can be especially risky.
Many kids begin drinking as early as middle school or even sooner. This is dangerous. Kids who drink are more likely to be victims of violent crime and sexual assault. They are more likely to have serious problems in school. They are more likely to be involved in drinking-related traffic crashes. They are also more likely to develop problems with alcohol later in life.
Kids often begin drinking to look "cool" or fit in with their peers. Parents can do many things to help their kids avoid alcohol problems. Get help for your child if you suspect a drinking problem.
It's OK you can admit you want your drugs legal so you can get high without the Po-Po knocking at your door, just leave the "save the children" bullshit routine out of it.:whiste:

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Within a decade, there is a growing chance of Canada changing legislation:

The policy: “After the resolution on marijuana today, there is going to be a group of even happier people in the Liberal Party,” interim party leader Bob Rae joked in his closing speech.

However, he did not shy away from the delegates’ decision – which provoked some of the most vigorous debate of the weekend – to support a resolution that a new Liberal government will legalize marijuana. “I want to be very candid about it,” he said. “Do you really think it makes sense to be sending another generation of young people into prison when you realize the most addictive substances facing Canada today are alcohol and cigarettes?” To loud applause, he declared the war on drugs “a bust.”

LiuKangBakinPie

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Dope dealers don't make their money on pot. They do it on other drugs. Pot is small time business. Making it legal or not won't do squat as crack and the others is where the business are.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Dope dealers don't make their money on pot. They do it on other drugs. Pot is small time business.
You know noteth of what you speak...;):

New York Times, June 18 2011

For one thing, if marijuana makes up 60 percent of the [Mexican] cartels’ profits, that still leaves another 40 percent, which includes the sale of methamphetamine, cocaine, and brown-powder and black-tar heroin.

Pot prohibition fuels gang violence: report -- The National Post, October 27 2011

The report points out marijuana is locally produced and in large quantities, unlike cocaine or heroin, which must be imported. The report also cites a 2009 Health Canada survey that estimated there were “well over 430,000 cannabis users” in British Columbia while the number of heroin and cocaine users is only a fraction of the size. This accounts for the high profit margins for marijuana in B.C. and explains why prohibition “has made such a key financial contribution to the growth of organized crime in this province,” the report notes.
No LiuKangBakinPie, you are quite incorrect to assume marijuana as to be relatively unprofitable and other illicit drugs comprising the greatest proportion of business. With a couple of current examples off the top of my head, I have quickly cited against your position and demonstrated reality to presently be quite the opposite.

Last edited:

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Dope dealers don't make their money on pot. They do it on other drugs. Pot is small time business. Making it legal or not won't do squat as crack and the others is where the business are.

wrong. pot is the most widely used and distributed drug.

alcoholism.about.com/od/drugs/a/nsduh_drugs.htm

thousands of tons are confiscated every year at the Mexican border..at 1000 dollars a lb street price for commercial Mexican pot.....you do the math on the potential taxation...

but it wont be legalized...the corruption won't allow it..the cartels have what matters, money in the right places to keep it illegal...

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Ron Paul knows that prohibition doesn't work. You simply create a market for criminal enterprises and give them huge profits based on the legality of the substance they pedal.

If all drugs were legal I really doubt we'd see problems we don't already see. Places of business are still going to drug test people to get jobs.

From a health standpoint it's a no brainer. Keep people from ingesting mystery chemical combinations.

Look at alcohol. One of, if not the most deadly drug and it's widely celebrated in our culture.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
He's not even close to Dr. Paul. I mean, he's okay, but he weighs things on a cost-benefit analysis.

In a stateless society, might makes right.

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
With you on that as well. There is No quick answer to solve this problem but...BUT!!!

It's definitely better than the two party solution: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

you mean insanity

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
wrong. pot is the most widely used and distributed drug.

alcoholism.about.com/od/drugs/a/nsduh_drugs.htm

thousands of tons are confiscated every year at the Mexican border..at 1000 dollars a lb street price for commercial Mexican pot.....you do the math on the potential taxation...

but it wont be legalized...the corruption won't allow it..the cartels have what matters, money in the right places to keep it illegal...

Don't forget the prison owners want to keep it illegal as well.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Gary Johnson is awesome. Unfortunately he is also unelectable, especially in the GOP primary.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
I understand why much of the religion-dominated right opposes legalization of MJ, but why does so much of the left? Some of the same people who shout "Keep the govt's hands off a woman's body" and "Stop legislating morality" at rallies and are proud to be be pro-choice on abortion fail to see the contradiction in being anti-choice on pot. Clearly, the right has no monopoly on a base composed mostly of morons.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I understand why much of the religion-dominated right opposes legalization of MJ, but why does so much of the left? Some of the same people who shout "Keep the govt's hands off a woman's body" and "Stop legislating morality" at rallies and are proud to be be pro-choice on abortion fail to see the contradiction in being anti-choice on pot. Clearly, the right has no monopoly on a base composed mostly of morons.
Failed logic and years of misinformation starting at a youthful age.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I'm not sure there's much violence associated with the growth, distribution and sale of marijuana. So I don't really feel that legalizing it would defang the more vicious drug gangs, who would still be doing their business revolving around meth, crack, cocaine, heroin, spice, etc.

Well, it would encourage the cartels to pump up the cocaine, heroin, and meth supply to counter act their lost revenue from weed. Legalizing weed under the illusion that it's going to hurt the cartels is as bad as believing that the War on Drugs™ can be won.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011

There is way too much profits in the war on drugs. You will never see it legalized.

And MJ poses a big risk to the Alcohol industry, they will insure it stays illegal.