Some polls now have Romney ahead.

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I wasn't presenting my judgement that Obama is a disaster as a topic of debate. Furthermore I respond to smugness and arrogance with the level of discourse it deserves.

Besides, maybe he'd enjoy making sex with himself.

You present it as an underlying premise of why you favor Romney, as if you have actual reasons rather than mere partisan faith. So far, you merely confirm that your opinion is purely faith based, something that needed clarification.

Obviously, you don't need reasons to believe that, just more unquestioned beliefs at a deeper level. That's now clear.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Well, Silver never had it a dead heat. But he's clearly not shying away from his belief that the polls show Obama ahead. He's either going to look really good or really bad in 24-36 hours.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Well, Silver never had it a dead heat. But he's clearly not shying away from his belief that the polls show Obama ahead. He's either going to look really good or really bad in 24-36 hours.
Yeah, won't most of us? I've pinned all of my aplomb upon his percentages. I enjoy quite heartily telling people who severely Romney will lose. If he won I'd blame it on silver ;D

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Those will all go Romney. He's wrong.

Silver has years of experience as a statistician and is a professional poll-watcher with a sophisticated mathematical model based on analysis of hundreds of polls.

And you have your "gut feeling", based on your own desperate desire for Romney to win.

Which to trust more.... tough call.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
You present it as an underlying premise of why you favor Romney, as if you have actual reasons rather than mere partisan faith. So far, you merely confirm that your opinion is purely faith based, something that needed clarification.

Obviously, you don't need reasons to believe that, just more unquestioned beliefs at a deeper level. That's now clear.
Of course I have reasons why I think Obama sucks. I just don't want to turn this thread into that. You've been around long enough, you know how this works.

Feb 6, 2007
Those will all go Romney. He's wrong.

How sure are you? I'm guessing at least one will go Romney (probably Florida), possibly two, hell, maybe all three. But I'm not certain of it. I'm not certain of all three of them going Obama either. But I wouldn't wager on it either way.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Silver has years of experience as a statistician and is a professional poll-watcher with a sophisticated mathematical model based on analysis of hundreds of polls.

And you have your "gut feeling", based on your own desperate desire for Romney to win.

Which to trust more.... tough call.
I couldn't care less if you trust me, trust your ass for all I care. We'll know tomorrow.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Of course. That's the real concern, obviously.

Well that is extraordinarily unlikely so I really would not stress it. Basically not a realistic scenario, Not one that could likely stay secret for very long.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Wow, surprisingly bullish on CO, VA, and FL. I had thought the three to be coin flips, with FL possibly leaning Romney.

Virginia and Colorado have rebounded towards Obama a bit in the last week. I think that explains his bullish forecast. Florida I think is truly a tossup.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010

He's not doing anything. He built the model back in April, and has been explicit about not changing anything. (When there's a factor he wants to explore, he'll re-run the model with the changes, but it never becomes part of the main model.) The only thing he does is enter the polls into the database. His bed was made six months ago, he's just been lying in it.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Given the last couple of weeks of polling and looking at Nate's model, I've been pretty confident that Obama will pull it off (wish I had an intrade account).

Will be surprised and laugh if Obama really does take Florida though. Definitely overkill as far the electoral college is concerned.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I wasn't presenting my judgement that Obama is a disaster as a topic of debate. Furthermore I respond to smugness and arrogance with the level of discourse it deserves.

Besides, maybe he'd enjoy making sex with himself.

And here I think we were all hoping you were something more than ordinary.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
It's funny talking with people who cherry pick polls in real life.

Other person: "Well, Romneys tied with Obama Pennsylvania; clearly, Obama is in trouble"

Me: "You're cherry picking polls Romneys is down in almost all of them"

him: "nu-uh"

*shows him list of recent polls on my phone all but one tied*

Him "Well, Romney was going to lose Pennsylvania anyway it's not important; I'm going to go back to talking about the national polls like they matter " (where he's also cherry picking)

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
He's not doing anything. He built the model back in April, and has been explicit about not changing anything. (When there's a factor he wants to explore, he'll re-run the model with the changes, but it never becomes part of the main model.) The only thing he does is enter the polls into the database. His bed was made six months ago, he's just been lying in it.

Yes, I wasn't trying to imply that he changed anything. Just the opposite.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Virginia and Colorado have rebounded towards Obama a bit in the last week. I think that explains his bullish forecast. Florida I think is truly a tossup.

You have to go back 20 polls in VA to find one that favors Romney. The polls there showed a dead heat a week ago, so I'd say yes, it looks like he'll carry VA, perhaps even a greater chance there than in CO.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I just talked to my ass. It thinks Obama wins CO, possibly VA, and Romney takes FL.

I bet my ass has a better track record than you do in 36 hours.
See, that's better! :thumbsup:

We'll know that I'm right within 24 hours, those states will go early.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

We'll see how it plays out, but I have to say that Obama's ground game has been better in metro Denver. When the Obama campaign called, it was a real person, and real people came to the door, too. After I sent in my ballot, they quit. There was a young woman out front yesterday afternoon, obviously a canvasser, clipboard & all. I went out & spoke with her, turns out she was from the Obama campaign, and we weren't on her list because we'd already voted.

When I went back inside, the phone rang- another Romney robocall. The robocalls from the Romney campaign & the RNC have been incessant, and annoying- not once have I encountered a real person pitching Romney. One of my coworkers commented on that in the lunchroom, with wide agreement as to the assholish nature of the Romney campaign...

Obama won Colorado by 7 points in 2008, and I doubt that Romney can turn that around with robocalls.