Some loser kid gets destroyed after getting banned from HL2DM Servers

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WyteWatt

Banned
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: whutdufuk
We walked in and noticed their system that they were currently developing was using technology dating to 1995. Classic City ineptness. "Rajaan" The developer, could never get his database to work right, and kept telling them that the features they wanted were impossible to create.

We were like "here, try this" and they were like "Contract".

Not sure if that counts as a bid.

You know i actually believed you up until this post. really i did.

I started a business at ~15 and it grew pretty large. of course it helped that my father and grandfather owned a couple car lots. So i started by building computers, networks etc for them and it spread.

Eventually i got into outsourcing help. I got lucky and had some really smart people working for me (wich is why the business was a success!).

Sadly i had to sale it for health reasons a few years ago. but i made enought that at 30 i was able to retire. Granted on a severe budget.

So yes i figured what you were saying is possible.

Until this post. what you claim is NOT possible. As yllus stated there is NO WAY in heck that you were allowed in and to play with the system. NONE.

They sure didnt give you a contract without it going through proper channels. Not a 300k contract anyway.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus

"We" is who, the bunch of you kids?

Where did you walk into that you were allowed access as an outsider but could view "their system" that was still in development?

What DB features circa 1995 were impossible to do that are now possible?

Who was the city representative that was on-hand near the systems that could award you a contract just like that?

Since when can any government agency award $300,000 to a bunch of unknown youngsters without going through a vetting process and soliciting bids?

Yes, we being "the bunch of us kids." Don't you feel better now that I've affirmed it for you?

I wasn't an outsider. During highschool I had volunteered there as a summer community service project. The warehouse takes household hazerdous waste. Repackages what is still useful, and redistributes it to the public. Shortly after that, I was offered a summer internship, which I took. It was during the internship that I was allowed to view the system in place there. The system was being developed in the warehouse itself (rediculous) and so we could all see how it was being put together.

It was a Microsoft Access database, and it was garbage. And those were his words (the original programmer) about things being unable to work, not mine.

To get further into detail, since you seem to love pretending to care so much, Originally we were uncontracted. We offered our services based on what we saw and what we thougt we could offer. They wanted to get this program off the ground quickly, so we were told to show them what we could do, and get it back to them. We delivered the first beta of our database to them, and they were blown away. Bare in mind, it doesn't take much to blow away the IT dept of the city. Some IT Official who was at the showing told the official at the warehouse to compensate us for our time. We were paid using something called "Direct Voucher" payments, which is uncontracted and good for up to 100k or so. It wasn't until after we had used up all the Direct Vouchers that a contract was drafted so we could continue our work on the project. Is this a little clearer?

I love that you've decided that because of our age, we are incapable of doing something productive. I'm not sure how things work where you're located, but this is pretty much the course of events that took place with our project. According to the woman we work for, the City awards various HUGE contracts to vendors who never complete the task at hand. The City of Seattle is known for massive money blunders. We're proud to be one of the few vendors who have been able to deliver every time. What had taken the original programmer 4 years, under contract at 69.50/hour and was never finished, had been completed by us over the course of about a year total.

Yeah, we're kids. We deliver when 40 year olds can't. I guess it must be an age issue after all.

Who would lie about creating database software? As if that would earn me any cool points. Let's get real.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

Where did you walk into that you were allowed access as an outsider but could view "their system" that was still in development?

Who was the city representative that was on-hand near the systems that could award you a contract just like that?

Since when can any government agency award $300,000 to a bunch of unknown youngsters without going through a vetting process and soliciting bids?

Who would lie about creating database software? As if that would earn me any cool points. Let's get real.

What are cool points? It's called "elongating your e-penis," something many people on here practice. Get it right, outsider. :p

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
My mistake :)

Yeah may work on a video game board, but not a board of guys that do this.

If you were that 'fo shizzle, I am sure you know of QSD/LUTIFER/ALTGIERS/TCHH/ETC???

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Yes, we being "the bunch of us kids." Don't you feel better now that I've affirmed it for you?

I wasn't an outsider. During highschool I had volunteered there as a summer community service project. The warehouse takes household hazerdous waste. Repackages what is still useful, and redistributes it to the public. Shortly after that, I was offered a summer internship, which I took. It was during the internship that I was allowed to view the system in place there. The system was being developed in the warehouse itself (rediculous) and so we could all see how it was being put together.

It was a Microsoft Access database, and it was garbage. And those were his words (the original programmer) about things being unable to work, not mine.

To get further into detail, since you seem to love pretending to care so much, Originally we were uncontracted. We offered our services based on what we saw and what we thougt we could offer. They wanted to get this program off the ground quickly, so we were told to show them what we could do, and get it back to them. We delivered the first beta of our database to them, and they were blown away. Bare in mind, it doesn't take much to blow away the IT dept of the city. Some IT Official who was at the showing told the official at the warehouse to compensate us for our time. We were paid using something called "Direct Voucher" payments, which is uncontracted and good for up to 100k or so. It wasn't until after we had used up all the Direct Vouchers that a contract was drafted so we could continue our work on the project. Is this a little clearer?

I love that you've decided that because of our age, we are incapable of doing something productive. I'm not sure how things work where you're located, but this is pretty much the course of events that took place with our project. According to the woman we work for, the City awards various HUGE contracts to vendors who never complete the task at hand. The City of Seattle is known for massive money blunders. We're proud to be one of the few vendors who have been able to deliver every time. What had taken the original programmer 4 years, under contract at 69.50/hour and was never finished, had been completed by us over the course of about a year total.

Yeah, we're kids. We deliver when 40 year olds can't. I guess it must be an age issue after all.

keep making crap up. just making it worse.

I find it really hard to believe they paid you $300k for a MS access database. I just do not believe it.

again i been in the business for around 15 years. during the dot.com boom. even then they didn't pay $300k for a fricken MS access database!

I also find it unbelievable that there are not many others in Seattle that are able to do it. for far less also.

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005
No where did I say we made an Access database for them. I said the person they went with originally had done it with Access. Good reading.

And who is "they"? "They" didn't pay you? Have you ever scored a municipal contract? If not, I'm afraid you might not have a clue what you're talking about. Just because we were smart about it, and got the most for our time, where as you didn't, must make me a liar.

Two programmers working 50 hours a week at 75.95/h each... comes to 30,380/m. So you're right, it took a little bit longer than "one summer" to amass it, but it adds up, considering we're still working on the final stages of it.

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005

I also find it unbelievable that there are not many others in Seattle that are able to do it. for far less also.

I'm sure there are others that are able to do it for far less. The city doesn't think like this. The City looks to get it done. But you'd know this if you had experience working with them... oh wait, you don't. Keep talking out of your ass. We happened to squeeze in at the right time, and I pulled a few strings since I was friends with my old boss at the Warehouse we're doing the work for. She scored us the gig.

I don't get it. This story isn't creative. Had I wanted to impress you, I'd have said I worked for Valve on HL2... now that I wouldn't believe.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Are you retarded? I said the original coder they had hired to make the original database did it with Access. If you arn't going to take the time to read the post, don't bother replying to it..

damn you gotta $300k contract on a handshake cause in a few moments you fixed sumthin sumthin.

I is not saying it not possible....I jus saying why?

The whole city looking to get it done deal = posting an ad. Fvck in the local coffee shop in seattle. Your boss was a she too...wow.

the plot thickens.

valve on HL2 is not too impressive here. we guys like the pokemon cards.

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005
Why: Because we offered. Trust me, they were as hessitant to hire us as you are to believe me. They didn't issue this contract until we had submitted the beta version of our software. I'm pierced and tatted and my associate's are ravers, yet they saw our work (It's a sql database with the interface written in C#, just so everyones clear that we didn't make a friggin Access shiit database.) and were impressed. At least more impressed than they were with the broken access database they had lost to the guy who'd been working on it before us. (He had gotten paid around $250k total, so it does happen.)

The IT department is outdated for the City of Seattle. They don't even know how to wire cat-5's correctly, so they thought my programmers were genius's. To this day, the IT official we meet with occasionally refers to Mike, my partner, as "boy genius".

Oh boy, here comes the raver jokes!

Edit: HL2 isn't impressive anywhere. I was just being sarcastic.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
whatever man you are posting about a meet, do something and leave with a handshake and $300k....

then re-spinning it to working up a contract, beta stuff and you are pierced.

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005
Obviously it was more than a meet once and handshake. I was trying to dumb it down for some people here. However, in my attempts to make it easier to understand, I gave myself less credit amongst the "smarter" people. I think you guys just argue for the sake of arguing. This really isn't that unbelievable if you knew what other contracts the city hands out for rediculous purposes.

Believe what you want, it's really not worth continuing to defend what we do. At the end of the day, I still come home and enjoy the spoils of our progress.

It's been fun e-battling with you all.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Obviously it was more than a meet once and handshake. I was trying to dumb it down for some people here. However, in my attempts to make it easier to understand, I gave myself less credit amongst the "smarter" people. I think you guys just argue for the sake of arguing. This really isn't that unbelievable if you knew what other contracts the city hands out for rediculous purposes.

Believe what you want, it's really not worth continuing to defend what we do. At the end of the day, I still come home and enjoy the spoils of our progress.

Ok.. I have no clue what most of what is being said here means... but I do understand that no matter what you say... the other posters are gonna call Shens...

I have no idea whether you are telling the truth or not... I am just saying that I dont understand why you want to keep posting to ppl who will never believe what you are saying.

You like aggro or something?

:)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie

Ok.. I have no clue what most of what is being said here means... but I do understand that no matter what you say... the other posters are gonna call Shens...

I have no idea whether you are telling the truth or not... I am just saying that I dont understand why you want to keep posting to ppl who will never believe what you are saying.

You like aggro or something?

:)

he's HARD...he knows pokemon < HL2....gotz a $300k contract years ago he still talks about.

bet they never paid after the work was done....that was COMMON. Being under 18 esp, there is no contract...and if over often times the small print owned you.

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005
Except for the fact that I'm 20, and that was covered. We got the contract last year, also been covered. We're continually being paid, the work isn't done yet. Covered. The small print didn't pwn anyone.

Are you guys like, addicted to idiocy?

I guess I love e-battles. Even those I know I'll never win. I do know that pokemon>hl2 though.

Side note: The rest of this off topic forum is hilarious.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Not to mention the selective information he posted, like the fact that the 300k quarter also includes custom built database software for the city of seattle, the hosting project is a side project. Way to slander without giving the whole story.
<-worked for the City a few times
So YOU'RE the one who's to blame:|

;)

What you guys did was all reasonable for a kid who won't shut up and go away, but bragging about it on the net is "meh". So's signing up on other forums to try and defend yourself...just let it go, man.

keep making crap up. just making it worse.

I find it really hard to believe they paid you $300k for a MS access database. I just do not believe it.

To be fair to the guy, he's right about how screwed up the City can be sometimes. I don't know if all he's saying is true, but I will say that Seattle does some wierd stuff when it comes to IT.

It's gotten better, though.

mobobuff

Lifer
Apr 5, 2004
Try not to judge the whole of ATOT over a few lesser knowledged individuals. Most of us are friendly and love a good conversation, not just a one-sided flame war where nobody listens. You're catching a lot of flak from the underlings of ATOT, all of the mature or wiser posters aren't bothering because this really isn't that big of a deal.

So have a :beer:, take a breather, put on your robe and wizard hat... and stick around ;).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mobobuff
Try not to judge the whole of ATOT over a few lesser knowledged individuals. Most of us are friendly and love a good conversation, not just a one-sided flame war where nobody listens. You're catching a lot of flak from the underlings of ATOT, all of the mature or wiser posters aren't bothering because this really isn't that big of a deal.

So have a :beer:, take a breather, put on your robe and wizard hat... and stick around ;).

wow a 1 yeer n00b posts. mentions blood ninja for eliteness...

you gonna be the eliteness soon fo sho! You the bottom of the ATOT Night Crew :confused: not only nerds but bragging they ain't doing no shagging.

whutdufuk

May 16, 2005
Alk, your posts keep getting harder and harder to understand.

This thread taught me a lot. Bragging on the net is about as lame as what the kid did to us, I plan on taking my sites news post down about it soon. Also, I was wrong to have bragged about my company, it was in a "hollier than thou" manner. I hope you all can forgive me.

Thanks for the kind words, mobo. I'm starting to enjoy the rest of what the off-topic forum has to offer. I hope I havn't hindered my rep with his thread bad enough to where I can't post in other threads without getting super flamed.

Seattle is super weird when it comes to how they do things, Jagec, I'm glad someone else knows this.

Can we let this topic go now? I've learned my e-lesson and am ready to move on :(

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

This thread taught me a lot. Bragging on the net is about as lame as what the kid did to us, I plan on taking the new post down about it soon. Also, I was wrong to have bragged about my company, it was in a "hollier than thou" manner. I hope you all can forgive me.

Thanks for the kind words, mobo. I'm starting to enjoy the rest of what the off-topic forum has to offer. I hope I havn't hindered my rep with his thread bad enough to where I can't post in other threads without getting super flamed.

Seattle is super weird when it comes to how they do things, Jagec, I'm glad someone else knows this.

Can we let this topic go now? I've learned my e-lesson and am ready to move on :(

*taps whutdufuk on the head with his incredibily ginormous e-penis*

All is forgiven

MithShrike

Diamond Member
May 5, 2002
Originally posted by: CorporateRecreation
I was going to comment on the fact that he supposedly traced an IP back to a physical customer address on some DSL service but I figured I'd spare him the humility of how ridiculous that is.

Well, if someone has access to an ISP's database... I work with a tool for my job that does something similar every day.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

This thread taught me a lot. Bragging on the net is about as lame as what the kid did to us, I plan on taking my sites news post down about it soon. Also, I was wrong to have bragged about my company, it was in a "hollier than thou" manner. I hope you all can forgive me.

Get out while you can... before you become addicted!