Some additional information about the Las Vegas shooter

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Can't help but wonder how many of those 'experts' and their videos might be Russian. Seems like the kind of shit they'd be involved with particularly regarding the anti FBI slant.

Well the prominent one never got his high school diploma and spends his days selling poisonous compounds to morons like the OP.

Mar 11, 2004
Sorry didn't quote as I was flying through the thread to suss out signal from SSSnail's noise, but someone mentioned that he was using legitimate criticisms and concerns about law enforcement to prop up his beliefs. However he's resorting to the dumbest way of addressing this: using random asshole who is not an expert, trying to use forensic science. This is actually one of the major problems with law enforcement, is that there's a lot of people that even have credentials that are doing junk science (where people that know their shit are using science to show why its junk). And that is screwing things up, because it leads idiots to believe science itself is the problem, or it leads people who believe science is infallible to buy anything that resembles legit scientific analysis as truth. As seen here.

Can't help but wonder how many of those 'experts' and their videos might be Russian. Seems like the kind of shit they'd be involved with particularly regarding the anti FBI slant.

I guarantee at least some of it. That was one of their focal areas for decades is making up and disseminating conspiracy theories (no joke, literally there is documented proof that they actively worked to spread JFK, alien, and other conspiracy theories specifically to cause FUD in America). That's why I agree with the people that say that the Russian manipulation might say more about us than about the Russians (their motives are easy to understand, the willingness to believe insane stupid crazy bullshit by a large portion - dare I say even the majority of - Americans is troubling to say the least; granted I'm not sure that's actually any worse than it is across the world's population).

Reactions: Victorian Gray

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I'm curious how much of the audio analysis is taking into account that he was shooting into a concert, where there are mics and speakers that will pick up sound and pipe it out in other directions (and will be slightly delayed and also sound slightly different).

The foh mixer probably killed the mics as soon as they ran off the stage.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Chill out ffs.

Tell that to the victims harassed to the point where they fear for their lives because of the believers in that video.

When a kent spreads disinformation that leads to real world threats against people who were involved in a traumatic shooting you're asking me to chill out about it?

Perhaps it's time to stop defending the spreaders of disinformation because sometimes a moron shoots up a pizzeria and sometimes they threaten the lives of victims?

Nah? Nah... you just couldn't care less, could you?

Mar 11, 2004

Possibly, but there was quite a bit of time when the singer was still on stage and shots are being fired. Pretty sure some of the video (think some of the cell phone footage from close to the stage you can very clearly hear the music still going on and lots of shots being fired even after he ran off stage). Plus, there's the concert noise itself. Do people not realize how chaotic that situation would be from a sound standpoint? And then as the crowd dispersed that will change the acoustics as well (like has been pointed out how some of the sounds leading people to believe multiple shooters was due to bullets ricocheting, where they hear shots, see it hit an area way, and then hear a bullet whiz by or hit something closer to them).

My points are aimed at the "amateur experts" that conspiracy theorists like to believe. Kinda like the financial analyst "expert" from Loose Change (where they just labeled him an expert without qualification, because his expertise had fucking nothing to do with what he was talking about in the video, he was just spouting his beliefs, which resoundingly got shot down by engineers and legitimate experts).

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I guarantee at least some of it. That was one of their focal areas for decades is making up and disseminating conspiracy theories (no joke, literally there is documented proof that they actively worked to spread JFK, alien, and other conspiracy theories specifically to cause FUD in America). That's why I agree with the people that say that the Russian manipulation might say more about us than about the Russians (their motives are easy to understand, the willingness to believe insane stupid crazy bullshit by a large portion - dare I say even the majority of - Americans is troubling to say the least; granted I'm not sure that's actually any worse than it is across the world's population).

When Russian propagandists look at America what they see are a lot of people whose minds are mush, having absorbed way too much right wing agitprop. They're half nuts all the time so they're easy to manipulate. Repubs thought they had a monopoly on that... Thought they could always control it. History tells us otherwise-

http://assets.amuniversal.com/23fc6460a2fe0135fa6a005056a9545d

Reactions: darkswordsman17

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
When Russian propagandists look at America what they see are a lot of people whose minds are mush, having absorbed way too much right wing agitprop. They're half nuts all the time so they're easy to manipulate. Repubs thought they had a monopoly on that... Thought they could always control it. History tells us otherwise-

Or left wing agitprop, this is actually a case where both sides do it and the ones that are most active are actually the far left that spread news of conspiracies as excuses for jailed members.

Don't be partisan about this, it won't pay off in the long run. Surely we can all come together and say that the spread of disinformation from ANY side is bad?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Sorry didn't quote as I was flying through the thread to suss out signal from SSSnail's noise, but someone mentioned that he was using legitimate criticisms and concerns about law enforcement to prop up his beliefs. However he's resorting to the dumbest way of addressing this: using random asshole who is not an expert, trying to use forensic science. This is actually one of the major problems with law enforcement, is that there's a lot of people that even have credentials that are doing junk science (where people that know their shit are using science to show why its junk). And that is screwing things up, because it leads idiots to believe science itself is the problem, or it leads people who believe science is infallible to buy anything that resembles legit scientific analysis as truth. As seen here.

The most disturbing cases being where law-enforcement themselves fall for pseudo-science
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/21/fbi-jail-hair-mass-disaster-false-conviction
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/21/fbi-jail-hair-mass-disaster-false-conviction

Reactions: darkswordsman17

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Chill out ffs.

What if one doesn't _want_ to chill out, eh? Who made you the chill-police!

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't be allowed to post the dubious stuff that he does. I find it an interesting insight into how some people's minds work. But people are equally free to criticise such theories - or the mentality behind them - if they have a spare moment and the impulse takes them.

It's not as if such arguments are interrupting the critically-important work which this forum would otherwise be undertaking.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
What if one doesn't _want_ to chill out, eh? Who made you the chill-police!

I'm not saying the OP shouldn't be allowed to post the dubious stuff that he does. I find it an interesting insight into how some people's minds work. But people are equally free to criticise such theories - or the mentality behind them - if they have a spare moment and the impulse takes them.

It's not as if such arguments are interrupting the critically-important work which this forum would otherwise be undertaking.

My argument was mainly that the person he was raising to the skies as the truth teller of the century is a snake oil peddler who didn't finish high school but who he believed fully just because he declared himself a "forensic analyst".

That particular clown is a guy from Natural News, if you haven't visited their site you might want to stay out, they added a digger routine a few days ago that will install itself without warning if you are running Windows, I got the fail to connect warning because I'm not running Windows.

It's to mine digital currency and unlike most places that have a script that is only active while you are on their site, this one installs itself like a virus and has no limitations on how many cpu cycles it can eat. It seems that their virii spreading department is as inept as the retards reporting "news" on their site... But you really need cancer prevention supplements that contain massive amounts of lead just to fuck you up enough to keep reading their site, I presume.

How that shit site hasn't been shut down is beyond me, the FDA should have shut it down years ago but apparently they can't, for some reason.

Mar 11, 2004

That's reasonably true, but again, I don't think that's any different than the overall world population. People in general are easy to manipulate. Its not even an intelligence thing (in fact there's evidence that people that are smarter and have higher degrees are actually even worse as they're able to find more things, that resemble real evidence in their logic, to support their beliefs, its the same distortion of logic, but they have a more comprehensive logic and a way to support their logic).

Definitely though, Republicans have just gone back to proven methods of propaganda, and then are surprised that they're effective but that they can't control them because when they devolved arguments into extremes, it actually just enables extremists to hijack their movement, and they'll get replaced by gradually more extreme people willing to actually act on the rhetoric versus just spout it.

Or left wing agitprop, this is actually a case where both sides do it and the ones that are most active are actually the far left that spread news of conspiracies as excuses for jailed members.

Don't be partisan about this, it won't pay off in the long run. Surely we can all come together and say that the spread of disinformation from ANY side is bad?

Don't start this again. You keep trying to claim they're equal. That's not even REMOTELY close to being true. Condemn them, fine, but stop trying to make the false equivalency claim. I've tried to explain to you before that you are absolutely spouting a far right-wing talking point, and in fact that is one of the key ways they've made progress is by trying to pretend they're free of bias by projecting this "they're all the same/equally bad" nonsense to rope in moderates that actively avoid extremism, but can be slowly manipulated towards that. And one side is far far far worse about that these days.

Disinformation is bad, but you can also use your brain and realize how much more damaging one side is than the other. I get you're coming from a UK perspective with probably some lingering hate about some of the left wing stuff (which again, there's plenty of legitimate things to take issue with there), but in the US, especially in the past 50 years, its not even remotely close to being equivalent. I still also strongly disagree with you that antifa is even as bad as the right wing groups in Europe, but here its so far from being anywhere near equivalent that it constantly shows how little you actually understand the US.

That's all I'm going to even say about that, as you've derailed far too many threads with this and it actually plays against you disputing the OP. In fact, in this, you're doing the same thing that SSSnail is, by using some legitimate things to try and prop up this reach of logic.

The most disturbing cases being where law-enforcement themselves fall for pseudo-science

Absolutely. Which is why people like SSSnail delude themselves into believing that they're being rational by claiming that you can't trust them or their investigations in order to prop up believing these other assholes.

Reactions: Victorian Gray

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's reasonably true, but again, I don't think that's any different than the overall world population. People in general are easy to manipulate. Its not even an intelligence thing (in fact there's evidence that people that are smarter and have higher degrees are actually even worse as they're able to find more things, that resemble real evidence in their logic, to support their beliefs, its the same distortion of logic, but they have a more comprehensive logic and a way to support their logic).

Definitely though, Republicans have just gone back to proven methods of propaganda, and then are surprised that they're effective but that they can't control them because when they devolved arguments into extremes, it actually just enables extremists to hijack their movement, and they'll get replaced by gradually more extreme people willing to actually act on the rhetoric versus just spout it.

What conservatives have yet to appreciate is that their own leadership manipulated them long & hard enough that it set them up to be dupes for Trump & the Russians. Your average conservative voter simply can't recognize the utter insincerity of their leadership. Whatever "reasons" they think they have to vote that way are just a come-on to vote for more trickle down, more ruthless top down economic warfare.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Exactly, the all mute, I always have one set up on every digital desk. The audience mics used for IEMs may have picked up something if they were recording the show.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
damn sssnail, what happened to the lovable, irrational, Alex smith fan? Did you take this time off to go full-on bonkers conspiracy nutso or something?

This is finally your year man, to bask in the Alex Smith glory...and not a peep! what gives?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
7e3.jpg

this is a jpeg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Quoting myself, becuase it's just occured to me that this is another reason to be irked with conspiracy theorists.

Namely, if they have all this spare time and energy to put into playing detective or forensic science expert, why don't they put it towards uncovering the invidually small but collectively vitally-important issues like the miscarriages of justice that result from things like this?

Instead most of them seem to prefer the big dramatic-sounding stories, like JFK or mass shootings. Where the chances of actually having any real effect are minimal.

Where were the amateur internet investigators when it came to noticing that the police were using bad, unreliable, 'science' to illegitimately convict people, up and down the country?