Some 360 owners are really, really sad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Robor

Hmmm... That was pretty annoying. It would have been nice if MS had sent out a broadcast message to alert users the problem was on their side. My friend and I were pulling our hair out. After learning that I hope the lawsuit goes on so MS learns something from this.

Assuming it isn't waste of time due to MS having already learned their lesson before this suit even came into light.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: BD2003
Okay this is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway...

I don't play much on XBoxLive - maybe a couple of times a week. A couple of weeks ago my friend and I were having difficulty getting his system to see my coop Crackdown game. I would launch the game and invite him and either he wouldn't get it or he'd accept the invite and would never enter the game. Other times I would have the game running and try to send him an invite but the 'Invite a friend' option was grayed out. The odd thing was he could send me a message and I would receive it. We were rebooting our systems and eventually got the game running but had random drops and had to do the reboots until we could get hooked back up again.

Is this what everyone is taking about?

Yep, thats exactly what we're talking about. It was so bad at one point that you would just be greeted with the pulsating circle on the home screen, and couldnt do ANYTHING, but now its mostly limited to incredibly irritating problems like the one you describe, rather than a total breakdown.

Hmmm... That was pretty annoying. It would have been nice if MS had sent out a broadcast message to alert users the problem was on their side. My friend and I were pulling our hair out. After learning that I hope the lawsuit goes on so MS learns something from this.

Exactly. MS made no real effort to alert users as to what the hell was going on. People were ripping apart their home networks because most of the time in COD4 the error message said something along the lines of: "You must have an active network connection to play online".
I would have been pissed if I was one of the people who swapped out routers and in some cases even bought new ones just to find out that it was an XBL problem.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: chrisg22

Exactly. MS made no real effort to alert users as to what the hell was going on. People were ripping apart their home networks because most of the time in COD4 the error message said something along the lines of: "You must have an active network connection to play online".
I would have been pissed if I was one of the people who swapped out routers and in some cases even bought new ones just to find out that it was an XBL problem.

They started alerting people via the web as soon as they had something tangible to explain. We were then getting updates on the situation regularly. Those updates have stopped and why is that? Because of this retarded lawsuit!

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434

They started alerting people via the web as soon as they had something tangible to explain. We were then getting updates on the situation regularly. Those updates have stopped and why is that? Because of this retarded lawsuit!

Seriously, how many people do you think know about the updates on the web site? Do you know how many people were asking me and others how to get to the XBL status page? A lot of people just plug the 360 into their router and expect it to work. They don't surf xbox.com or majornelsons site looking for the status. In one of the threads on this forum someone even asked how to get to the XBL status page.

Not to mention the fact that the status on the XBL support page is a load of crap. It said "up and running" when no one could get into a game at all. Sure, the service may have been "up" and "running" but most people couldn't get into games, send messages or download content.

There's a lot of people on XBL that STILL think it's a problem with their router. There were no "REAL" updates on the situation that have potential to alert EVERYONE.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Seriously, how many people do you think know about the updates on the web site? Do you know how many people were asking me and others how to get to the XBL status page? A lot of people just plug the 360 into their router and expect it to work. They don't surf xbox.com or majornelsons site looking for the status. In one of the threads on this forum someone even asked how to get to the XBL status page.

Not to mention the fact that the status on the XBL support page is a load of crap. It said "up and running" when no one could get into a game at all. Sure, the service may have been "up" and "running" but most people couldn't get into games, send messages or download content.

There's a lot of people on XBL that STILL think it's a problem with their router. There were no "REAL" updates on the situation that have potential to alert EVERYONE.

What other form of communication would you suggest that brings the most info to the most people during an outage like that?

I understand that a lot of consumers still don't think to themselves "Internet!" whenever they need information but there really is no better choice. It's not like sending everyone an in game message through XBL during an outage will do any good. Perhaps they could have sent one later after the outage, but it wasn't long afterwards that this lawsuit came about and MS decided to shut their mouths due to it. If you are upset about the lack of communication then blame the lawsuit or blame mankind's advancement in communication technology. MS did the best they could with what they had in regards to communication.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Assuming it isn't waste of time due to MS having already learned their lesson before this suit even came into light.

It's not a waste of time. Were it not for this lawsuit I would not have seen this thread and learned the problem is not on my or my friends networks or systems.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BD2003
Okay this is probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway...

I don't play much on XBoxLive - maybe a couple of times a week. A couple of weeks ago my friend and I were having difficulty getting his system to see my coop Crackdown game. I would launch the game and invite him and either he wouldn't get it or he'd accept the invite and would never enter the game. Other times I would have the game running and try to send him an invite but the 'Invite a friend' option was grayed out. The odd thing was he could send me a message and I would receive it. We were rebooting our systems and eventually got the game running but had random drops and had to do the reboots until we could get hooked back up again.

Is this what everyone is taking about?

Yep, thats exactly what we're talking about. It was so bad at one point that you would just be greeted with the pulsating circle on the home screen, and couldnt do ANYTHING, but now its mostly limited to incredibly irritating problems like the one you describe, rather than a total breakdown.

Yep, my friend and I were bouncing our cable modems and routers and putting our 360 into the DMZ in an effort to get connected. Had we known it was an XBL problem we would have just moved on and tried another night.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005

What other form of communication would you suggest that brings the most info to the most people during an outage like that?

I understand that a lot of consumers still don't think to themselves "Internet!" whenever they need information but there really is no better choice. It's not like sending everyone an in game message through XBL during an outage will do any good. Perhaps they could have sent one later after the outage, but it wasn't long afterwards that this lawsuit came about and MS decided to shut their mouths due to it. If you are upset about the lack of communication then blame the lawsuit or blame mankind's advancement in communication technology. MS did the best they could with what they had.

Well since XBL was "Up and Running" -- somewhat... then they could broadcast a live message which they normally do for routine outages. It never really was a total outage except for the times when no one's dashboard would load and the dots would just spin in a circle.
They could have sent out e-mails as well.

I know you don't want to die early from all this stress, but MS didn't make enough of an effort and still haven't.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Yep, my friend and I were bouncing our cable modems and routers and putting our 360 into the DMZ in an effort to get connected. Had we known it was an XBL problem we would have just moved on and tried another night.

See my above post. I would like to ask you the same question:

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Xavier434What other form of communication would you suggest that brings the most info to the most people during an outage like that?

The outage was intermittent. They could have simply sent out a broadcast message to all XBL users that explains the problem is on their side.

I understand that a lot of consumers still don't think to themselves "Internet!" whenever they need information but there really is no better choice. It's not like sending everyone an in game message through XBL during an outage will do any good. Perhaps they could have sent one later after the outage, but it wasn't long afterwards that this lawsuit came about and MS decided to shut their mouths due to it. If you are upset about the lack of communication then blame the lawsuit or blame mankind's advancement in communication technology. MS did the best they could with what they had in regards to communication.

My friend was able to send me a message during the time we were having connection issues. If we could send messages Microsoft could have sent one. From what I understand this has been an ongoing problem and users still haven't been notified. I don't care if there is a ongoing lawsuit. Microsoft has a responsibility to inform users and they haven't. If they want to 'shut their mouth' concerning the lawsuit let them. It only strengthens the case of the plaintiffs.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Well since XBL was "Up and Running" -- somewhat... then they could broadcast a live message which they normally do for routine outages. It never really was a total outage except for the times when no one's dashboard would load and the dots would just spin in a circle.

I know you don't want to die early from all this stress, but MS didn't make enough of an effort and still haven't.

I suppose e-mails could have been sent, but I really consider that a nickels and dimes part of this whole situation. E-mails won't fix the problem and the information was available. Perhaps the people who decided to spend so much time fiddling with their routers and modems should have spent that time digging up info on the situation instead? Let that be a lesson be learned because there is nothing else anyone will gain from it.

MS needs to fix whatever isn't fixed and they need to take action to prevent this problem in the future. How they fix it and what they plan to do in the future to prevent it is their business. As long as it works, it shouldn't matter to the consumer. Neither of which, does anyone know about right now including these douche bags who are filing the suit. For all we know, MS already has a plan to go above and beyond our expectations for future problem prevention. Who knows? That is my point. No one knows. This whole lawsuit business is only going to make people feel better if it goes through. No one has any idea if it is going to improve anything. I say give MS the chance to fix it themselves before pulling out the big guns like that. People default to lawsuits way too often because they think it is the only option for getting their way.

Again, I will support this suit if the problem doesn't get fixed soon or if it becomes a problem that arises more often.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Xavier434What other form of communication would you suggest that brings the most info to the most people during an outage like that?

The outage was intermittent for some people. They could have simply sent out a broadcast message to all XBL users that explains the problem is on their side.

Fixed. If I were MS and I was aware of this fact or not sure if that was the case then I would choose the communication method that is more reliable. Obviously, XBL wasn't considered reliable during this problem. Why does it make sense to use it as the way to communicate knowing that? I can understand e-mails but not messages over a screwed up XBL. That's just an irresponsible decision to make.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

See my above post. I would like to ask you the same question:

I have said it several times. They could have and should have sent a message(s).

Frankly I'm pissed about this. In an effort to troubleshoot the problem I was moving my entertainment system out to check the patch cable between my wall and 360, bouncing my cablemodem, bouncing my router, and bouncing my 360. Of course i didn't know it at the time but none of this was necessary because the problem was on XBL.

Ask yourself this... Why didn't Microsoft at least TRY to inform users via XBL? Worst case the message doesn't go through. At least they could say they tried. Well they didn't and IMO this lawsuit is very deserved. As far as I'm concerned, sign me up!

KlokWyze

Diamond Member
Sep 7, 2006
www.dogsonacid.com
Some of you are still having problems? Hell, even when XBL was "down" just after xmas I could still login & play, it just took a few restarts & login attempts. That's as bad as it got for me for only a few days.

BTW guys, lawsuits like tend to be orchestrated more by lawyers, who will get paid a lot for this shit if they win. While the geeks get.... $5 a piece? I got this sort of refund thing in the mail a month or two ago regarding a class action lawsuit against all the major credit card companies. Apparantly Visa, Mastercard, etc were sued for charging "overseas/currency conversion" charges to US citizens who bought shit abroad. They lost & I got a $25 refund. The lawyers? I can't remember EXACTLY, but it was like 10% of 30 million or somethin?? Hell could be 300 million, can't remember, but it said it on the refund notice.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

I have said it several times. They could have and should have sent a message(s).

Frankly I'm pissed about this. In an effort to troubleshoot the problem I was moving my entertainment system out to check the patch cable between my wall and 360, bouncing my cablemodem, bouncing my router, and bouncing my 360. Of course i didn't know it at the time but none of this was necessary because the problem was on XBL.

Ask yourself this... Why didn't Microsoft at least TRY to inform users via XBL? Worst case the message doesn't go through. At least they could say they tried. Well they didn't and IMO this lawsuit is very deserved. As far as I'm concerned, sign me up!

They could have but they didn't. They could have also called everyone or made a radio message or tv commerical. Honestly man, don't concern yourself too much with what they could have done. Concern yourself more with what you will do in the future. Next time, check all of your communication resources before dissecting your entire entertainment network. That's what I did.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I suppose e-mails could have been sent, but I really consider that a nickels and dimes part of this whole situation. E-mails won't fix the problem and the information was available. Perhaps the people who decided to spend so much time fiddling with their routers and modems should have spent that time digging up info on the situation instead? Let that be a lesson be learned because there is nothing else anyone will gain from it.

MS needs to fix whatever isn't fixed and they need to take action to prevent this problem in the future. How they fix it and what they plan to do in the future to prevent it is their business. As long as it works, it shouldn't matter to the consumer. Neither of which, does anyone know about right now including these douche bags who are filing the suit. For all we know, MS already has a plan to go above and beyond our expectations for future problem prevention. Who knows? That is my point. No one knows. This whole lawsuit business is only going to make people feel better if it goes through. No one has any idea if it is going to improve anything. I say give MS the chance to fix it themselves before pulling out the big guns like that. People default to lawsuits way too often because they think it is the only option for getting their way.

Again, I will support this suit if the problem doesn't get fixed soon or if it becomes a problem that arises more often.

That (bolded) is completely wrong. A message on XBL would have fixed the problem because it would have saved people the time and effort of troubleshooting the problem. Had I been informed there was an issue I would not have troubleshooted anything and I wouldn't have been upset with Microsoft over this. The fact that you want to shift the blame to XBL users for troubleshooting on their side angers me. :| I got a 360 because I'm a casual gamer. I moved away from PC gaming because I don't want the hassles. I want to turn it on, play a few hours of coop, and turn it off until next week. Also, they need to keep XBL users better informed in the future.

Microsoft does need to fix what's wrong. XBL is a pay service and I don't care what legal blabber they bury in their TOS, if they don't deliver what they advertise their PAYING CUSTOMERS have every right to sue them. If nothing else this lawsuit has spread the word about the problem.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

They could have but they didn't. They could have also called everyone or made a radio message or tv commerical. Honestly man, don't concern yourself too much with what they could have done. Concern yourself more with what you will do in the future. Next time, check all of your communication resources before dissecting your entire entertainment network. That's what I did.

Again, stop trying to shift the blame. There is no excuse for MS not sending out a message. Period.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Again, stop trying to shift the blame. There is no excuse for MS not sending out a message. Period.

What if you didn't get that message through XBL even though they sent one due to the trouble going on with XBL network? Would you still be mad?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KlokWyze
Some of you are still having problems? Hell, even when XBL was "down" just after xmas I could still login & play, it just took a few restarts & login attempts. That's as bad as it got for me for only a few days.

BTW guys, lawsuits like tend to be orchestrated more by lawyers, who will get paid a lot for this shit if they win. While the geeks get.... $5 a piece? I got this sort of refund thing in the mail a month or two ago regarding a class action lawsuit against all the major credit card companies. Apparantly Visa, Mastercard, etc were sued for charging "overseas/currency conversion" charges to US citizens who bought shit abroad. They lost & I got a $25 refund. The lawyers? I can't remember EXACTLY, but it was like 10% of 30 million or somethin?? Hell could be 300 million, can't remember, but it said it on the refund notice.

Of course the lawyers are going to benefit most. That's the way every class action lawsuit goes because one person isn't going to be able to sue MS for 30 million (or whatever it is). There just isn't that much loss as an individual. That's why people band together and sue them as a collective. Yes the lawyers are the monetary winners but in a case like that it's not about the money. I would put my name on the lawsuit even if the return benefit was $.01.

I got charged for 'overseas currency conversions' and AFAIK I didn't get any refund.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

What if you didn't get that message through XBL even though they sent one due to the trouble going on with XBL network? Would you still be mad?

Absolutely not. In that case I would say at least they tried and I stated that above. Read my original reply in this thread. I had no idea there was an issue with XBL until seeing this thread about the lawsuit. Are there any other posts here on Console Gaming that refer to the XBL problem? If there are I haven't seen them.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Absolutely not. In that case I would say at least they tried and I stated that above. Read my original reply in this thread. I had no idea there was an issue with XBL until seeing this thread about the lawsuit. Are there any other posts here on Console Gaming that refer to the XBL problem? If there are I haven't seen them.

I don't know...I think that if they did this then you may not be complaining but a huge line of other people would start complaining in your stead saying things like "MS is so stupid! Why would they tell us this stuff over a network they know is damaged lol?". Then you got the people who complain because they didn't check their e-mail. Then you got the ones who forget about websites. Then you got the ones who like playing video games but all other forms of technology escape them and they don't check anything yet they demand better communication.

My point is that the list never ends no matter what MS decides to do and there can always be a lawsuit for whatever a couple rich guys find that MS didn't do or is not currently doing. I support some suits like this. Just not this one. I want results and I don't believe a suit in this case will bring me that.

Also, I am not currently experiencing any issues on XBL right now like others are claiming so that shows me that MS is working on it because it wasn't like that for me a few weeks ago. That plus I understand that no matter how good of a job you do, things like this happen to the best of us sometimes and everyone deserves a fair shot at fixing without lawyers breathing down their throats.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I don't know...I think that if they did this then you may not be complaining but a huge line of other people would start complaining in your stead saying things like "MS is so stupid! Why would they tell us this stuff over a network they know is damaged lol?". Then you got the people who complain because they didn't check their e-mail. Then you got the ones who forget about websites. Then you got the ones who like playing video games but all other forms of technology escape them and they don't check anything yet they demand better communication.

My point is that the list never ends no matter what MS decides to do and there can always be a lawsuit for whatever a couple rich guys find that MS didn't do or is not currently doing. I support some suits like this. Just not this one. I want results and I don't believe a suit in this case will bring me that.

Also, I am not currently experiencing any issues on XBL right now like others are claiming so that shows me that MS is working on it because it wasn't like that for me a few weeks ago. That plus I understand that no matter how good of a job you do, things like this happen to the best of us sometimes and everyone deserves a fair shot at fixing without lawyers breathing down their throats.

These huge numbers of people are already complaining and had MS sent a message via XBL at least they would have that in their defense. Like I said before, I'm a very casual gamer. The only gaming site I read is this one. I do have accounts on other gaming sites but I couldn't tell you where they are because I never visit them.

I'm far from a MS hater but they really dropped the ball on this one. They've angered their own customers and left themselves wide open to criticism from other console makers (particularly their #1 competitor, Sony). I'm guessing the PS3 fans are really enjoying this. ;)

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005

He's forgetting the fact that during most of this issue, the xbox live status page said UP AND RUNNING. Why didn't they send out a message about intermittent issues if, in their opinion, the service was UP AND RUNNING?
If everyone didn't get the message, at least SOME people would, which would help spread the word.
Making an attempt to let people know what the hell is going on is a heck of a lot better than doing NOTHING AT ALL.

He'll defend them till the end so it's not worth arguing with him.

You can't say the XBL status page is a good source of info as it said "up and running" about 85% of the 3-4 weeks XBL has had problems.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

He's forgetting the fact that during most of this issue, the xbox live status page said UP AND RUNNING. Why didn't they send out a message about intermittent issues if, in their opinion, the service was UP AND RUNNING?
If everyone didn't get the message, at least SOME people would, which would help spread the word.
Making an attempt to let people know what the hell is going on is a heck of a lot better than doing NOTHING AT ALL.

He'll defend them till the end so it's not worth arguing with him.

You can't say the XBL status page is a good source of info as it said "up and running" about 85% of the 3-4 weeks XBL has had problems.

First, I don't need the status page to know it isn't working correctly, but information was posted by MS is something no one can deny that they did. Also, some people did get that information from them just like some people could have gotten a message through XBL but apparently word just didn't spread to you.

Second, everyone across the globe was having this issue and posting about it. That alone should be ridiculously easy to figure out only after spending 10 min on the internet and it should also show that it is an XBL related issue. Easy as pie.

Lastly, you can point fingers all you want and I can defend all I want but just understand that there is more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to this communication issue. Placing blame and defending that blame will do us nothing. Learning what we can do ourselves to make this less of a hassle in the future is much more valuable. Even if somehow this suit magically prevents issues with XBL from happening again, you will probably be using other services like it that are not provided by MS in the future and problems will happen. Just learn what you can from this situation instead of getting all fired up and pointing fingers. Next time, check your sources before troubleshooting hardware.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Microsoft didn't use the easiest and quickest method (an XBL message) to communicate the problem to their paying customers. There is ZERO excuse for that not happening. Period. I've never seen an XBL problem before this issue started so why would I just assume something that's been 100% stable since I purchased my 360 is the problem?

I'm a casual gamer. I play once a week or maybe twice every three weeks and that's it as far as games go. Outside this forum I don't spend any time reading reading gaming websites and like I said this is the first I've seen of the XBL issue.

You can poo poo the lawsuit all you want but the fact is it was the lawsuit rather than Microsoft that informed me of the XBL issue. Don't you find that a bit ironic?