Sold some stuff on ebay to a guy from Saudi Arabia who did a Buy It Now

Joony

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
And in the auction, I stated that I would only ship to the United States or Canada.

I don't really mind shipping internationally as long as I actually get the funds first.

He can't pay with paypal for some reason, but he is willing to pay me via Western Union.

I've never used Western Union, so I'm not sure how it works, whether they give you cash on the spot or a check.

Will it work out if I receive the funds first before I send it off?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You should have checked off the "dont sell to countries which I wont ship" box. Otherwise get your money in hand if you can first.

BTW how much is the item in question?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Make sure you have the money physically in your hand before you ship anything. Which means cash.

You don't want a check, you don't want a money order, and you don't want an e-mail saying you have received a money order. You want the cash physically in your hand before you ship.

Once that happens, you're good to go and the buyer can't fvck you over like they would if they used a personal check, Paypal, or a forged money order.

phatj

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2003
NEVER do western union for ebay. It's even listed under ebay rules. JUST DONT DO IT because its literally ALWAYS a scam

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by: phatj
NEVER do western union for ebay. It's even listed under ebay rules. JUST DONT DO IT because its literally ALWAYS a scam

Agreed. That scam is getting OLD. Like the Nigerian money order scam, don't be surprised if he sends you more than the selling price, and asks you to give him back change.

Stay away from this......far away!! :(

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Will you people read the OP? The seller loses nothing by waiting until he actually has the cash in his hand before shipping via WU. If he sticks to this, he's not in any risk at all.

JungleMan1

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2002
Actually guys, if he sends you a Western Union money transfer, there's pretty much no way it can be reversed. I have worked with WUs for a couple of years so I know a thing or two about 'em ;) Once he sends your transfer, all you have to do is go to a grocery store or some place that does Western Unions and you will physically have cash (for high amounts you will get a Western Union-branded check which will be paid out no matter what) in your hands.

Money orders? different story. Western Union sells money orders too, but money orders are commonly forged by scammers.

The danger with Western Union is when you are buying something, since if it's a scam you have no ground to stand on, because of this very principle of not being able to reverse it. But if you are the seller then it's fine.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: JungleMan1
Actually guys, if he sends you a Western Union money transfer, there's pretty much no way it can be reversed. I have worked with WUs for a couple of years so I know a thing or two about 'em ;) Once he sends your transfer, all you have to do is go to a grocery store or some place that does Western Unions and you will physically have cash (for high amounts you will get a Western Union-branded check which will be paid out no matter what) in your hands.

Money orders? different story. Western Union sells money orders too, but money orders are commonly forged by scammers.

The danger with Western Union is when you are buying something, since if it's a scam you have no ground to stand on, because of this very principle of not being able to reverse it. But if you are the seller then it's fine.

Yay! Someone with a lick of literacy and comprehension ;)

maximus maximus

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2004
Its a safe transaction.. you will have the money in your hand before you send out the package.

You should be safe on this one.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: JungleMan1

Whoa talk about coming out of the woodwork! ;)

saymyname

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2006
Unless he can make cash in your hand burn all the way from Saudi Arabia you should be fine.

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Yea, WTF are you guys talking about? WU is fine for recieving. (NOT SENDING)
Geez, you would think people are unaware of things like WU, it's even worse when they're misinformed.

Appledrop

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: maximus maximus
Its a safe transaction.. you will have the money in your hand before you send out the package.

wtf im ashamed, atot. You will recieve an email 'You have recieved XXX$' or something like that i expect. and its actually a forged mail of course

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Azzith
Originally posted by: maximus maximus

wtf im ashamed, atot. You will recieve an email 'You have recieved XXX$' or something like that i expect. and its actually a forged mail of course

And I'm ashamed of your reading skills. What don't you understand about "cash in hand before shipping?"