So work life balance lucre and what it all means

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
my afternoon was a zoom meeting from hell

so much was said about nothing of value
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: brianmanahan

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Work/life balance (along with my salary/benefits) is one reason I could see myself at my current job until retirement. It is super important to me at this point.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Spaceman, I dont understand you, but i sympathize. Sometimes work has bad weeks with 70+ hours of constant nonstop extreme stress ... sometimes ... only 40-50 hours ...
the balance is trying to find some joy in life so you dont die in a stupid conference call or board room meeting.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
underneath it there is love, not pretense please don’t take my rantings as some self important social commentary, but the truth is the most fulfilling things I do are I
In
Service to others, it’s an ugly or at least messy existence. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread maybe I was being emo probably, but to do something positive and even plain for someone else I dunno that’s the fuel. Im done at some point maybe it’s self indulgent and I don’t wanna go there, but warmth something genuine I need it!

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Burnitdwn you too high is fella I don’t always agree with your takes but you are a smart cookie

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
And the drug takes yeah I need to medicate maybe sometimes I do drugs but they are lightweight shit like booze and weed tho booze is a monster

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Sabbatical.

It's interesting that even though I was only charging part-time for a year, between just having work on my mind, the lack of help with childcare during the pandemic, and wanting to pursue side ventures I was hitting burnout. I haven't charged any hours for the company I'm technically employed by in nearly 2 months now. And in that time I've worked for myself putting together a funding proposal for my own venture that I'm going to pitch a few targets. And you know what? Even if my new venture doesn't go my way: I still feel so much better mentally right now.

I think every decade, or maybe even every few years: people need a break. And I don't mean a week or two of PTO. I mean a true break: 2-3 months minimum. For me it wasn't about until a full month after I stopped charging my current employer that work just faded into the background. Two months into this, I feel very separated from it. You obviously need to plan ahead financially for this, but even better if you can find an employer that will let you do this. Otherwise find a new job, set the start date 3-4 months from now, put in your 2 week notice and enjoy the downtime.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
underneath it there is love, not pretense please don’t take my rantings as some self important social commentary, but the truth is the most fulfilling things I do are I
In
Service to others, it’s an ugly or at least messy existence. There are a lot of good ideas in this thread maybe I was being emo probably, but to do something positive and even plain for someone else I dunno that’s the fuel. Im done at some point maybe it’s self indulgent and I don’t wanna go there, but warmth something genuine I need it!
Brian you been a real asset to these forums m, I wanna point that out I’d vote for you for elite thank you for being you
Burnitdwn you too high is fella I don’t always agree with your takes but you are a smart cookie
And the drug takes yeah I need to medicate maybe sometimes I do drugs but they are lightweight shit like booze and weed tho booze is a monster

Apparently, the type of job you do does not require coherent writing skills.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Naked we are vapor you me everyone reading this or who will.

You just figured this out now? ;)

*(there's a good reason life in modern society is often referred to as the "rat-race")

Read Me:

Ozymandias
BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

life-is-so-much-easier-when-you-just-dont-give-a-fuck.jpg

I've found the above to be the only consistently "workable" solution! :p

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't want to live in a world where a spaceman is descending into misanthropy. Please, man, get better for the rest of us!

In relation to your car thread, and in my own experience--see also my car thread--you should go get yourself that fun car. You might be surprised how that changes things (Even in a place like where I live, where driving nearly everywhere around here is shitty; at least being in a great space on the inside of a car that you like, that can be fun when you get the chance, makes all the difference compared to the current dreariness)....even if your job is still shitty!

Reactions: Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You just figured this out now? ;)

*(there's a good reason life in modern society is often referred to as the "rat-race")

Read Me:

Ozymandias
BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

life-is-so-much-easier-when-you-just-dont-give-a-fuck.jpg

I've found the above to be the only consistently "workable" solution! :p

I love me some shelly

Reactions: Captante

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Work/life balance (along with my salary/benefits) is one reason I could see myself at my current job until retirement. It is super important to me at this point.

Samesies. I grew up as a fairly low-energy person & just kind of drifted my way through each day. Over time, I developed the WPP Method:

1. Work
2. Passion
3. Play

Work is stuff you need to take care of first: your job, continuing education, family, and chores. Passion involves personal projects, hobbies, and side gigs. Play is being able to unplug & decompress; it helps to maintain some simple lists of options to do (books to read, movies to watch, games to play, etc.). I have two cutoffs for working, as I tend to vacillate between being a total couch potato & being a workaholic lol:

1. I split my day into roughly 3-hour chunks (buckets) & then fill those buckets with a finite list of assignments to work on each day (which have time leashes on them, which is a combination of how long I estimate the task will take vs. how long I'll allow it to take). Interruptions & emergencies happen & sometimes things take longer than expected or I get distracted, but having a finite, doable list of things to do in short time buckets (3 hours is a lot easier to fill up than all 16 waking hours!) really helps me make progress on things a lot.

2. I generally have a cutoff time to stop working as well. I have a hard time compartmentalizing, so rather than being in the moment, I'll be thinking about work at home & vice-versa. Having a pre-defined time to be done working gives me a clear boundary. Granted I work on-call, but it's not an every day thing where something crashes or blows up & has to be fixed in the middle of the night, thankfully!

With ADHD, I'm constantly either over-stimulated or under-stimulated, so either I'm hyperfocusing on work or I can't get myself off the couch lol. The WPP Method helps me a lot because it breaks things down into doable chunks & makes things surmountable on a daily basis, instead of getting myself into a situation where I'm mentally overwhelmed & go into analysis paralysis or possibility paralysis mode lol.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You have to set boundries. No work on the weekends, 40 hours a week MAX, and stop work at 5pm. The average Germans worker works about 30 hours a week. They tend to be happier, and have a nice balance between work and play. I've seen studies where companies will employ a 30 hour work week, and they have gotten some suprising results. A much happier work culture, and in the end much better results. Studies have shown that most people are only productive for about 4-5 hours a day. After that, it's all downhill. Our work culture is archaic. It's old. The 8 hour day, 40 hours per week was born from the industrial age. The most successful people work less, and they work smart. Well unless you're Elon MUsk. That dude has a crazy work ethic. He also is on his 4th marriage, and I bet that has to do with his crazy work schedule. So, in the end you have to be deliberate with your schedule. I like Kaido's view on this. Put play into your schedule and stick to it. Want to hit the beach from 8am-3pm. Put it in your schedule.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Some people have this weird thing where working more hours than normal is a thing to be proud of. "You only work 40 hours? you need to work harder, I work 80!". It's a weird mentality to have, because at the end of the day, you are benefiting your employer more than yourself by doing that. I like to consider my time as being worth double what I make at my job. It's my time, and it's time I will never get back because I am only getting older. If I am getting paid OT and it's not something that is frequent, I will jump on the opportunity to work more because I can use the money, but if it became a normal thing where the employer just expects it, then I need to draw the line at some point.

I had one summer where I worked 4 weeks almost straight. That's basically half the summer gone. Had a few days off in between and that's it. We were very short staffed so we all had to pickup some OT. It was a rare case scenario so we all took it because we do like the money, but at some point when this started to become TOO regular we started to complain to hire someone else or we'll start refusing the OT (which we are allowed to do).

What I don't get is jobs that don't even pay OT. You absolutely should NOT work more than your normal hours in a case like that. Who cares if a project is late, you're not the one that will suffer from that, your upper management will. It's up to them to manage resources better to make sure the project gets done by the deadline. Hire more people, have less meetings, etc.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You have to set boundries. No work on the weekends, 40 hours a week MAX, and stop work at 5pm. The average Germans worker works about 30 hours a week. They tend to be happier, and have a nice balance between work and play. I've seen studies where companies will employ a 30 hour work week, and they have gotten some suprising results. A much happier work culture, and in the end much better results. Studies have shown that most people are only productive for about 4-5 hours a day. After that, it's all downhill. Our work culture is archaic. It's old. The 8 hour day, 40 hours per week was born from the industrial age. The most successful people work less, and they work smart. Well unless you're Elon MUsk. That dude has a crazy work ethic. He also is on his 4th marriage, and I bet that has to do with his crazy work schedule. So, in the end you have to be deliberate with your schedule. I like Kaido's view on this. Put play into your schedule and stick to it. Want to hit the beach from 8am-3pm. Put it in your schedule.

a woman I dated this year - her brother is married to a German woman. They lived there for some years. He did love many things about it. As far as cost goes, he said after he calculated everything, he ended paying more to live in the US (Northern NJ) to get a similar amount of benefits he was getting in Germany in regards to things like healthcare, etc... Work/Life balance goes to the Germans though. Tough to put a price on that.

Mar 11, 2004
Are we sure the OP isn't just in need of a good movement? Get some Metamucil or Miralax and see if that changes your outlook.