So work life balance lucre and what it all means

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I told my boss tonight it’s getting old, the 90 percent perfection 10% that falls by the wayside and she took it hard. I’m probably defective so take this with a grain of salt but is the modern life work life balance just a bunch of horseshit? Do we tell ourselves things that simply aren’t true how did we get here and yeah the type a rote zombies will chime in. Fuck this dumb existence!

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
How many of you have a zoom meeting tomorrow where you hear about people who actually believe in this. It’s terrifying !

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
There is no good answer nakedfrog other than I feel like an anachronism, why do we do what we do and why do we validate it by other feedback, people like to talk about the collective until it hits their wallet, it’s just empty, many a song has been written about chasing money and how it’s vapor, I’m ranting as usual, I just can’t deal with present reality so I guess I’m using this as a sounding board I haven’t been banned since 2009(ty mods!) this reality has just got me jaded

Reactions: brianmanahan
Nov 8, 2012
Well, I mean... we could always go back to a system of hunting for food or bartering for goods with tangible objects.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
There is no good answer nakedfrog other than I feel like an anachronism, why do we do what we do and why do we validate it by other feedback, people like to talk about the collective until it hits their wallet, it’s just empty, many a song has been written about chasing money and how it’s vapor, I’m ranting as usual, I just can’t deal with present reality so I guess I’m using this as a sounding board I haven’t been banned since 2009(ty mods!) this reality has just got me jaded
Sounds like maybe you need to find a different job?
Or hobbies or something? Beyond drugs, I mean.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
It’s cool you bring that up , red dead 2 is probably the best game I ever played bc it still retains a little of that with modernity seeping in, I’m 45 and childless I don’t wanna say I’d rather be dead who knows? But what happened to feeling that weren’t forced? What happened to I held the door for this person and Iit made me feel like a conduit for something positive,it’s own reward. Is the end game of American life and maybe modern life to die with papers it’s all so stupid. Sorry I’m ranting hammer me if you want. But it just doesn’t feel right does it?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It’s cool you bring that up , red dead 2 is probably the best game I ever played bc it still retains a little of that with modernity seeping in, I’m 45 and childless I don’t wanna say I’d rather be dead who knows? But what happened to feeling that weren’t forced? What happened to I held the door for this person and Iit made me feel like a conduit for something positive,it’s own reward. Is the end game of American life and maybe modern life to die with papers it’s all so stupid. Sorry I’m ranting hammer me if you want. But it just doesn’t feel right does it?
I dunno, do you do any volunteering, or anything spiritual? Or maybe you've got some depression going on? Which could definitely be tied to lack of job satisfaction...

I hate PDFs too, BTW.
Naked we are vapor you me everyone reading this or who will.
I prefer "we are stardust", more poetic than "vapor".

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Sounds like you're depressed. If you have some vacation time at your job, take 2 weeks off to decompress and take care of yourself. If after 2 weeks, you're still feeling this way, start looking for new job.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
cheer up spaceman

Vuqg57O.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't have meetings. That's probably pretty good, right? Does zoom even work on debian? Probably through a browser or something...

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I hate PDFs too, BTW.
I'd take a PDF over what our HR sends out - word docs with inserted lines where you're supposed to fill things out and inserted squares in place of check boxes. It's like they've never heard of a fillable form

Reactions: pete6032

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
You have the paper pusher blues.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I told my boss tonight it’s getting old, the 90 percent perfection 10% that falls by the wayside and she took it hard. I’m probably defective so take this with a grain of salt but is the modern life work life balance just a bunch of horseshit? Do we tell ourselves things that simply aren’t true how did we get here and yeah the type a rote zombies will chime in. Fuck this dumb existence!
I read this part many times and still don't get it. Can someone translate?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
I work in big corporate Snr Mgmt reporting to a C-Lvl - people, top to bottom, are dumb. We are supposed to worship at their feet to afford our consumerist lifestyles which they promote so that you stay worshiping!

21yrs I've been in Corp America and every year its WLB! Every year the HR surveys say the same shit. No one cares, behind the scenes, its all lip service to the minions but there is nothing that can be done. Too many requirements, not enough budget. Shareholders & Investor Relations to please.

Don't be a sheep.

With the Big Govt handouts if you can survive working a 20-30hr service lvl job while getting on the Govt dole - do it!

Reactions: spaceman

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Whats your RE withdrawl rate %?

shooting for %2.5. that's without counting any social security, pension, or side income. it would also be double what i spend right now, but who knows what insurance and other stuff will cost in 7 years.

Have you made any changes due to the the insane home price inflation?

nah, i've rented forever and i may just continue to do it. i like not having to fix stuff.

but then again, i hate worrying about breaking someone else's stuff. so i might just buy a little 200$k house around here that i could've gotten for 100$k a few years ago
Hdm2kDz.gif

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
shooting for %2.5. that's without counting any social security, pension, or side income. it would also be double what i spend right now, but who knows what insurance and other stuff will cost in 7 years.

nah, i've rented forever and i may just continue to do it. i like not having to fix stuff.

but then again, i hate worrying about breaking someone else's stuff. so i might just buy a little 200$k house around here that i could've gotten for 100$k a few years ago
Hdm2kDz.gif
I don't have a withdrawal rate. Don't care. I never balanced my checkbook or made personal budget in my life. I always lived by the philosophy of make more than you can spend. If you want to spend more money, make more money faster. I always have a general idea how much money I have in my spending account. And now it's so easy to check anytime with mobile access.

The way I look at it, your money should keep working all the time, even in retirement. So even though you might not have salary or income from a traditional job, you should generate income from your assets and investments. So long as my net assets increase faster than whatever I spend, my net worth should continue to go up even in retirement, and I should never run out of money. So if my investments are doing really well, I'll spend more money. If my investments are going through really rough depressed period, I'll cut back on my discretionary spending. And if you're retired with no debt, it's lot easier to decrease your spending when needed.

And to @spaceman , I don't know if you exercise or not but if you don't, start exercising. Go walk or run. Exercise helps with depression and you'll feel much better physically and mentally. Start taking care of yourself and putting your health first.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I don't have a withdrawal rate. Don't care. I never balanced my checkbook or made personal budget in my life.

yeah same, i stopped doing checkbooks years ago and never had a budget. i basically still live like i did in college, so 15 years later i'm still spending like 35$k per year at the most. with COVID and no vacations or restaurants its been down closer to 25$k now.