So work life balance lucre and what it all means

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
Spaceman,

Let the work, be the job you do to support your life. Keep work/Life separate and in-focus for what they are truly worth. You mean so much more to so many more people than what you do to earn cash. I mean, it's easy to tie your self-worth to your work, but sometimes or work can feel rather superficial and unimportant. Sure, it pays the bills, but it often-times just seems worthless at the end of the day. I totally get it!!!

Life changed after my second deployment. What used to seem important suddenly felt ....bleh... One day, I was feeling introspective and was going through my music collection, just having a listen, and "Throw it All Away", by Toad the Wet Sprocket was on the list. It became a rally cry of sorts to the new life that I soon adopted. I tossed my life, on the proverbial fire. I then found activities that spoke to me... and never looked back.

"Take your cautionary tales
Take your incremental gain
And all the sycophantic games
And throw 'em all away

Burn your tv in your yard
And gather round it with your friends
And warm your hands upon the fire
And start again

Take the story you've been told
The lies that justify the pain
The guilt the weighs upon your soul
And throw 'em all away

Tear up the calendar you've bought
And throw the pieces to the sky
Confetti falling down like rain
Like a parade to usher in your life

Take the dreams that should have died
The ones that kept you lying awake
When you should've been all right
And throw 'em all away

With the time I waste on the life I never had
I could've turned myself into a better man

Cause there ain't nothing you can buy
And there is nothing you can save
To fill the whole inside your heart
So throw it all away
Wont fill the whole inside your heart

Help me empty out this house
The wool I've gathered all these days
And thought I couldn't do without
And throw it all away"

In the end, I became a better person, a better father (according to the family), a better athlete (took up mountain biking!), went on more vacations, lived deeper and feel younger than when I started this journey in late 2012. Can't say that ignoring "conventional wisdom" has hurt me at all.

M

Reactions: brianmanahan
Sep 29, 2004
A balance is needed. Unless you are working 50 hour weeks with kids at home and a wife who also works full time .... it can be hard to understand. Also, as you get older, the bullshit gets on you. If I am salaried and have nothing to do at work, let me leave after 30 hours. And don't expect me to stay 50 hours when I need to either. I'm thankfully lucky that my department at work is pretty up front about 40 hours. Get your 40 in and go home. But other engineers support ship building and they have to work 50 hours including weekends sometimes. Stories of a 16 hour day because some painter screwed up is a thing.

Also, a big problem is the dual income family shit. I know one guy who had is wife quit when they had their kid (They both would be making $150K+ today) and he said it was the best decision ever. The money is not worth it. He does the work and she takes care of everything at home.

Reactions: brianmanahan

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
pquWR0E.jpeg