So, who's ready for the 2 feet of snow in Boston this Friday?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Really starting to come down here now. Probably close to 2" already on the ground. Driving home and the roads were already starting to get bad.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
3. Don't go fast. Slow down in turns.
Seems like the biggest reason people can't drive in the snow. They treat the snow/iced road like its a summer day.

My overarching rule when it comes to driving in snow or really any sort of slippery conditions is that if you have to make any movements, make them as subtly as possible. This may include lower speeds and might also mean that you should elongate your turns. That means you would most likely start out closer toward the outside and turn in earlier. A lot of that depends on the road, but it usually works out pretty well.

Where I used to live in Pennsylvania, I had to go down a hill to get home, and it involved two... probably about 70-75 degree turns. I had no problem with these hills in 6"+ of snow with all-seasons in a FWD car. This was the day I got my Altima too... would have been sucky to damage your car on the first day, eh? :p

1. When you're losing control, turn steering TOWARDS the direction you're slipping to align your wheel, not steer back to the center.

The reason why you do this is to keep the front and back of your car going in the same direction. If you steer and accelerate in the opposite direction of the slide, your back-end will most likely continue sliding while your front-end goes the other way. In other words... you've just sent yourself into a spin.

I've had my car slip a few times, and I've always gotten out of it. What makes that odd is that I can't recall a single time where I've followed "the rule." All I can remember is the fact that I've always done the exact opposite. Although, most of my slides have been at low speeds, which may explain why it hasn't been an issue. I'd say that I'd like to try it and find out, but I think I'd prefer avoiding slips if I can help it. :p

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Governor Patrick has banned all cars from the roads after 4pm in MA.
blizzard.gif.pagespeed.ce.JX_EWWK5xE.gif

blipblop

Jun 23, 2004
Just got home from work, wasn't that bad yet but the roads are starting to get covered

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Got back from running and taking the dogs from park. Was driving past 4pm, so I broke martial law.

Running was brutal, running into freezing rain and wind. Hurt like heck.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
My area hasn't found nemo yet.

So much for all of the cancellations today. Only a dusting so far, and it hasn't even flurried since around 1PM. It's gonna have to snow a lot over the next day to get the 16" they are calling for.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
5 PM NYC:

Finally some snow.. but it's the dusty kind. Minimal accumulation (1/8").

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
In the future, there will be heating elements under the roads and sidewalks that can melt the snow when needed.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
its pretty much finished here.

However, Highway 401 in Toronto is seriously messed up. Traffic collisions and stuck vehicles are everywhere there.