So, who's ready for the 2 feet of snow in Boston this Friday?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ussfletcher

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
I'm jealous. Its been about three years since I've gotten to have fun in that much snow. I may be a bit weird like that, but I have pretty fond memories of walking around in snow up to my thighs in Northern Michigan.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They'll total it if it gets a chance to melt. The electronics in the dash will hold moisture in and it'll get weird electrical gremlins for the rest of it's useful life.

I had to dig out twice today, once at home and once at work, but my car is home now.

Oh yeah if you were to hit autostart from distance and not realize there was snow in it... yeah that could suck lol.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I'm about 8 hours north of Toronto. Toronto, being the south. Yeah, call in the army! Hahaha.

So like Timmins or something?

You guys get a lot of snow, but probably don't tend to get these major storms, which are caused by proximity to the ocean.

As for that car -- totaled? Why? Brush all the snow out, life goes on. :)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So like Timmins or something?

You guys get a lot of snow, but probably don't tend to get these major storms, which are caused by proximity to the ocean.

As for that car -- totaled? Why? Brush all the snow out, life goes on. :)

Yeah Timmins. ;) And no, I don't know Shania Twain. :p

And yeah TBH, we get maybe 1-2 feet at very most in a dump, we tend to get the snow over time and not in one shot. And in past 10-15 years we've gotten a fraction of what we used to get. That last dump we had was probably only the second this year.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
I live in Hamden, CT. They're saying we got 40 inches, which is the highest total for this storm. This is an amazing amount of snow for 1 storm. Most of the houses in my neighborhood have cleared their driveways and sidewalks, but the road has 3-4 feet of snow in it and no one knows when it will get cleared. I'm hearing basically the same story from family and friends that live in other cities/towns. Too much snow to plow, so they need to pick it up and haul it away.

In 2011 we easily had this amount, if not more, on the ground...but that was cumulative from a series of storms, so clearing roads then wasn't a problem. This much at once is crazy. I don't have any other way to describe it.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
I live in Hamden, CT. They're saying we got 40 inches, which is the highest total for this storm. This is an amazing amount of snow for 1 storm. Most of the houses in my neighborhood have cleared their driveways and sidewalks, but the road has 3-4 feet of snow in it and no one knows when it will get cleared. I'm hearing basically the same story from family and friends that live in other cities/towns. Too much snow to plow, so they need to pick it up and haul it away.

In 2011 we easily had this amount, if not more, on the ground...but that was cumulative from a series of storms, so clearing roads then wasn't a problem. This much at once is crazy. I don't have any other way to describe it.

Its supposed to be sunny and 35 tomorrow. Should get a nice ice layer tomorrow night. Monday its supposed to hit 45 and not get below freezing again before tuesday night. No one has talked about this on the news but it seems like we could be in for some major problems with melting and freezing.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
Its supposed to be sunny and 35 tomorrow. Should get a nice ice layer tomorrow night. Monday its supposed to hit 45 and not get below freezing again before tuesday night. No one has talked about this on the news but it seems like we could be in for some major problems with melting and freezing.

Serious problems. Also, most houses in my neighborhood have a lot of snow (2-5 ft drifts) on their roofs. If/when it rains on Monday, all of that snow is going to soak it up like a sponge And get even heavier. I have a roof rake and will be trying to clear a lot of mine tomorrow, but it's hard time-consuming work.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've been afraid to look at my car... I guess that will be a task for tomorrow morning.

I parked under an overpass a couple blocks away so there shouldn't be much snow *on* my car, but the plows are always bad about burying people's cars.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
6O3CVEA.jpg

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I've been afraid to look at my car... I guess that will be a task for tomorrow morning.

I parked under an overpass a couple blocks away so there shouldn't be much snow *on* my car, but the plows are always bad about burying people's cars.

Everything here is turning into solid ice. You should have gotten the car cleaned while it was still soft. :p

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Everything here is turning into solid ice. You should have gotten the car cleaned while it was still soft. :p

damn you, now I feel like I have to get bundled up and go for a walk to check it out.

although, worst case scenario (eg: my car is a solid block of ice 4' thick), I'm working from home tomorrow and I could theoretically walk to work the rest of the week.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
awesome, no snow or ice whatsoever on my car... but I'm going to have to leave for work armed with windex and a roll of paper towels, though. my windows are caked in salt.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Stayed over my in-laws and they got almost 2 feet of snow. Spent the whole day shoveling. Exhausted.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
went out this morning to tackle our upper porch, seriously the wind piled it to 3.5 ft. took about an hour to shovel the 45'x4' porch, wtf!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
went out this morning to tackle our upper porch, seriously the wind piled it to 3.5 ft. took about an hour to shovel the 45'x4' porch, wtf!
630 cubic feet of snow? D:

4712 gallons of snow according to google. that's a lot of shoveling!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

That's just the front porch. it's the length of the house, 45" and it's about 4" wide.

My driveway is ~150" long, the top is about 25" wide, good times yesterday :) At least my 6 year old is getting big enough to help.

The snow was over the top of the snow blower, and I gave him the task of knocking the edge of the piles down so the snow blower could be effective.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

I'm stockpiling the snow. I am going to sell it to midwest farmers who are being affected by the drought in the spring.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
my boy trying to stay ahead of it...

my car on the left :(

from my front door

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Everything's okay now. Snow melted, sun is shining, looking for highs around 55F. Glad it worked out for everyone. :)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Oh my gosh, it's a mess on the highway (I-91 in CT). It goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes to 3 lanes back to 4 lanes. I predict there will be a HUGE amount of accidents because of that today...people are going 65mph on the cleared spots, but all of a sudden it drops a lane and then another lane and then back again because of the plowing.

They didn't even plow my exit - just a 3-foot snow drift, so I had to keep driving for awhile until I found a place to loop around Plus it's starting to rain, so hopefully it doesn't freeze. The road to my work was barely plowed...1-lane only, super mushy, people getting stuck and people coming the other way made it a huge mess.

Be safe out there!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Looks like our measure is 32 inches - if you add in the snow drifts, 8 feet :awe:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Agreed Kaido, I had to work yesterday (i commute mainly on 91) and saw numerous morons driving like...well, morons.

Keep your eyes on the road people, and your lead foot off the pedal.

When I was heading home on 91N, there was a bad looking accident on the south side around Windsor/Enfield, looks like a couple cars in the snow bank and some on hte divider. Backed up traffice for about 5 miles.