So what is the point of the French products boycott?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
while($bashing_french)){
$perceived_patriotism++;
}

while($perceived_patriotism >= $large){
$redneck_vote++;
}

while($redneck_vote >= $large){
$years_in_office+=$term_length;
}

:D

I am sure rednecks are very large buyers of fine French wines......
rolleye.gif

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Ferocious
HYPOCRISY is a major cornerstone of the modern Republican party.

The USA is pissed at France because they were protecting their financial interests by being against the war.

On the other hand the USA went to war in order to create positive financial interests for USA companies.

Hypocrisy is a major cornerstone of any political entity (country, gorvernment, party, u name it)

Look at Germany - lol, by rethorics next to France (actually before France) the biggest opponent of the war, yet after Britain prolly the biggest helping hand. With anti chemical warfare troops in Kuweit, AWACS over Turkey, Overflight rights, logistics, Base protection of "empty" US bases

Maybe ppl know this and that is why they only boycott french stuff, but actually I feel France is behaving much like the US (or has a similar mindset) and that might be the reason for the special relationsship of USA and France...

though the most Americanized country in Europe seems to be Germany

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiger

The French went out of their way to kill the last UN resolution. Simply using their own veto would have been enough to kill it. They didn't need to bribe the African members of the SC but did it anyway. This proves that the french don't see this as an honest disagreement over Iraq and Saddam. This is about Chiraq trying to position France as the defacto European counterweight to the US. Why is it that most French leaders end up getting this Napoleanic syndrome? This from a country who's bacon we've saved 3 times in the last 100 years.

If French business is punished to the point of pain maybe when they have elections there will be more moderate leadership.

LOL:D

Yeah I agree! The US should be mad at the French because only the US should be allowed to bribe members of the SC!! The US spent in the neighborhood of $20 billion bribing countries to join its so-called coalition. How much did France spend?

Gotta love it. Chirac has a Napoleanic syndrome, but Bush who has invaded and conquered 2 countries in his 2 years in office doesn't:confused::confused.

Why not include the full range of history and include France supporting the US Revolution to allow it to become a country? France bankrupted itself to help the Americans and caused it's own revolution to occur. Did the US incur as much pain to help France?

Gotta love this "me syndrome" thinking.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: wirelessenabledWhy not include the full range of history and include France supporting the US Revolution to allow it to become a country? France bankrupted itself to help the Americans and caused it's own revolution to occur. Did the US incur as much pain to help France?

1. Imperial France only supported The American revolution because it was a distraction to The British empire. They certainly had no streak of wanting to introduce liberty to the rest of the world. Their financial problems were of their own mismanagement and of corruption of the French crown. They were going BK regardless of what aid they rendered to "The Colonies".

2. Last I checked there were about 70,000 DEAD Americans buried in France that gave their lives defending that country, twice in the 20th century.

Now that I just ass-raped your moronic statement, I will ask:
Who let the stupid people in here?
:disgust:
rolleye.gif

bolinger

Apr 16, 2003
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
It is sad, but luckily most of this crap is being championed by the older generation that thankfully will be dead or wearing diapers by the time my generation comes to power.
As one of the "older generation" thankfully we won't be around to see what your generation has managed to turn the US into.
A panty waisted, sniveling, neurotic, shell of the great country it used to be.

Hmm, lets see then, was it not members of your generation who were resposible for Iran Contra, arming Saddam to fight the Iranians, arming the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan who later became the Taliban? Oh, and didn't you guys put and support "friendly despots" like the Sauds, Hosni Mubarak etc. in power? Didn't you guys fail to support Shiites uprising against Saddam after the Gulf War? If you guys hadn't screwed so much up, my generation would have a lot less work to do. Furthermore, in your opinion, if we're not using guns we're panty waisted? Ever hear of diplomacy? It's what keeps young, mostly poor Americans from coming home in body bags after rich old men, who have never seen a day of combat in thier lives, send them places to do their dirty work.

So true. I would be surprised if enlistment in the reserves didn't go down during the next year because young people will realize they don't want to risk their lives for an administration that would pre-empt diplomacy with war. Let's just hope we can make it to next years elections without more antics from the warhawks in DC.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled

The French went out of their way to kill the last UN resolution. Simply using their own veto would have been enough to kill it. They didn't need to bribe the African members of the SC but did it anyway. This proves that the french don't see this as an honest disagreement over Iraq and Saddam. This is about Chiraq trying to position France as the defacto European counterweight to the US. Why is it that most French leaders end up getting this Napoleanic syndrome? This from a country who's bacon we've saved 3 times in the last 100 years.

If French business is punished to the point of pain maybe when they have elections there will be more moderate leadership.

LOL:D

Yeah I agree! The US should be mad at the French because only the US should be allowed to bribe members of the SC!! The US spent in the neighborhood of $20 billion bribing countries to join its so-called coalition. How much did France spend?

Gotta love it. Chirac has a Napoleanic syndrome, but Bush who has invaded and conquered 2 countries in his 2 years in office doesn't:confused::confused.

Why not include the full range of history and include France supporting the US Revolution to allow it to become a country? France bankrupted itself to help the Americans and caused it's own revolution to occur. Did the US incur as much pain to help France?

Gotta love this "me syndrome" thinking.

The UN gave persmission to go into Afghanistan, why not tell the absolute truth, since the UN has been created permission to go to war has been asked 3 times, all by the US, TWICE by Dubya....

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002