So what is the point of the French products boycott?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raiden8

Aug 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Tiger
None of the above.
The French boycott isn't government sanctioned. It's simply the American consumer expressing their displeasure with the French government through their wallets. It's democracy in action.

While Russia, China, and Germany also oppose America's position, they have not nearly been as proactive as France. The French went out of their way to kill the last UN resolution. Simply using their own veto would have been enough to kill it. They didn't need to bribe the African members of the SC but did it anyway. This proves that the french don't see this as an honest disagreement over Iraq and Saddam. This is about Chiraq trying to position France as the defacto European counterweight to the US. Why is it that most French leaders end up getting this Napoleanic syndrome? This from a country who's bacon we've saved 3 times in the last 100 years.

If French business is punished to the point of pain maybe when they have elections there will be more moderate leadership.

Syndrome = emotionally immature, self-centred, and insecure. One of our province, is 90% french-canadians. They sure take after the syndrome which cost dearly Canada's economy, specifically, our currency plummeted (from 0.78 to .60ish) to the abyss and haven't recovered since

edit: French politics just reeks fowl of stupidity.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Raiden8
None of the above.
The French boycott isn't government sanctioned. It's simply the American consumer expressing their displeasure with the French government through their wallets. It's democracy in action.

While Russia, China, and Germany also oppose America's position, they have not nearly been as proactive as France. The French went out of their way to kill the last UN resolution. Simply using their own veto would have been enough to kill it. They didn't need to bribe the African members of the SC but did it anyway. This proves that the french don't see this as an honest disagreement over Iraq and Saddam. This is about Chiraq trying to position France as the defacto European counterweight to the US. Why is it that most French leaders end up getting this Napoleanic syndrome? This from a country who's bacon we've saved 3 times in the last 100 years.

If French business is punished to the point of pain maybe when they have elections there will be more moderate leadership.

Syndrome = emotionally immature, self-centred, and insecure. One of our province, is 90% french-canadians. They sure take after the syndrome which cost dearly Canada's economy, specifically, our currency plummeted (from 0.78 to .60ish) to the abyss and haven't recovered since

The $ is recovering, the economy is going great.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I understand there's a 40% reduction in the sale of French goods in the US.

Wonder how Dixie Chicks albums are selling... (they're supposed to be on SNL this weekend)

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Wonder how Dixie Chicks albums are selling... (they're supposed to be on SNL this weekend)

Not quite as well as France. I heard that their album sales were down by about 50%. Boo-Hoo! :)
If you were to believe any one of the erudite Europeans on this board, we are STILL however obligated to buy their crap.

Personally, I have been boycotting France and French products since 1986; I am glad the rest of the country has finally caught up with me. :p

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Jimbo
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Not quite as well as France. I heard that their album sales were down by about 50%. Boo-Hoo! :)
If you were to believe any one of the erudite Europeans on this board, we are STILL however obligated to buy their crap.

Personally, I have been boycotting France and French products since 1986; I am glad the rest of the country has finally caught up with me. :p

Yep, Nissan just lost a sale to me, & I'm a fanboi...

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The french just dont get it and apparently they are trying to see how big of hole they can dig themselves into.

Now the French are admitting the boycott is hurting and they are telling us we should not voice our displeasure with our wallets. These very statements will only make things worse for the french.

linkage

PARIS (AP) - The head of France's largest business federation encouraged Americans upset by his country's opposition to the war against Iraq to write French politicians - preferably, while sipping a glass of French wine.
"If there are people who don't like the way France behaves in diplomacy, they should send telegrams to our embassies - not stop buying our bottles, our yogurts or our airplanes," said Ernest Antoine Seilliere, the president of France's biggest business federation.

linkage

Speaking of business, France's major business federation, the Movement of French Enterprise (Medef), also addressed the bilateral relationship the very same day, declaring that Americans displeased with French obstructionism "must keep products and services of our enterprises outside their quarrel." In other words, despite being appalled by M. Chirac's unrelenting efforts to protect Saddam Hussein from the consequences of his behavior, Medef insists that American consumers must continue to buy French products. To their credit, many Americans disagree, and have unilaterally exercised their right to boycott French goods. They have done so to such an extent that France's principal business federation has literally begged them to stop.

guigui38

Apr 15, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: freegeeks
because the americans who are active in this boycot are just plain dumb.

Most of them would probably not even find France on a map

Are the French that are boycotting US products because of our stance Iraq just plain dumb as well?

well excuse me but there is no, campain in france for the boycott of american products (exept for mac do but it is a campain 10 years old without any relations with the war)

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: freegeeks
because the americans who are active in this boycot are just plain dumb.

Most of them would probably not even find France on a map

Are the French that are boycotting US products because of our stance Iraq just plain dumb as well?

Yes they would be, but like guigui38 said in his post, to my knowledge there is no French boycot for US products that has to do with the war. I did not see any member of French parliament behaving like a 10 year old jackass. In contrast, their american collegues did something very heroic and productive when they renamed french fries to freedom fries. What a fine expression of their patriotic feelings. They showed that they were Real Americans [TM] by renaming a fried potatoe. And you guys wonder why we feel that such behavior is childish and dumb.

I guarantee my family knows exactly where france is. A few of them went there to free their backstabbing asses and got shot for their trouble.
The french are whores. Anything for money. If your a female in france run for your lives. The Chiraq may be selling you next.

"The Classic American Response" - aka "the Selective Memory Disease (SMD) -- aka "we saved your butt so you better stfu"

"My classic Eurotrash response -- "Without the French you would probably never been independant" -- how is that for a response???

Many Americans do know where France is

according to a National Geographics study Americans where less able to find their own country then foreigners were able to find the US. Excuse me when I have a good laugh when the polls show that 80% of Americans are pro-war and the NG study shows that 87% of americans could not even find Iraq on a map. The richest country in the world has the dumbest population in the 18-24 age of all industrialized countries (and the majority of this board is in this age group). I would love to see how many americans could actually find France on a map.

I experienced first hand the limited geograhical and general knowledge skills of Americans last summer when I was on vacation in Calif. and Oregon.

"do you also have problems with mexicans in Belgium"
"why do you come here to do some mountaineering, you have the Alps in Belgium"
"Belgium, been there, very nice CITY"

and my favourite one

"do you have cars in Belgium?"

Some americans seem to be so self-centred, it's funny and pathetic at the same time.

i cannot bring myself to boycott ze zig zags!
they are IMHO,hands down, the best cigarette papers in the world, and ive tried my share of exotic rolling papers.

BTW:freegeeks, france and you suck like a hoover.

the feeling is mutual, cattlehumping flagwaving cowboy

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Well, the basically the boycott is all about the fact that some americans just can't accept the fact that some country disagrees with USA and it's glorious leader, GWB.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
Well, the basically the boycott is all about the fact that some americans just can't accept the fact that some country disagrees with USA and it's glorious leader, GWB.

Bush is a results based president, not a great public speaker.
He has my vote(again) in 2004.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
HYPOCRISY is a major cornerstone of the modern Republican party.

The USA is pissed at France because they were protecting their financial interests by being against the war.

On the other hand the USA went to war in order to create positive financial interests for USA companies.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I am boycotting French products for one simple reason - consequences.

The French government actively worked against the interests of the United States. Their actions almost for sure caused additionnal deaths of American service men and women.

By not buying French wine, I can put political pressure on the French government via the wine-making lobby in France.

Michael

btw - I speak French well, have been to France many, many times (both vacation and business trips). I've even been to Belgium a few times.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
"My classic Eurotrash response -- "Without the French you would probably never been independant" -- how is that for a response???
Typical eurotrash revisionist crap. As has been their pattern for hundreds of years the French arrived at our revolution when the fighting was almost over. But stand up and give them a big hand anyhow, keep the dillusion going.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis77

So you are saying these Americans have no right to voice their displeasure with the French goverment with their wallets?

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
I for one will keep eating my freedom fries and freedom bread and last night I was lucky enough to get freedom kissed. This boycott is almost as retarded as the renameing of products with the word "french" in them. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that wine had to be bought before it could be poured out, so that was moronic. The reason the French wine industry is hurting is b/c people have stopped buying wine, not because people are buying it and pouring it in gutters. Like everything else is this country, the boycott will soon be forgotten. It is sad, but luckily most of this crap is being championed by the older generation that thankfully will be dead or wearing diapers by the time my generation comes to power.

Raiden8

Aug 20, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski
None of the above.

Right. Canadian currency hasn't hit the $0.70 since that referendum. Econ may be well, but our dollar sucks lemons. Canada is climbing out of a hole the Quebec separatists put us in. THAT'S GREAT??? Are you from Canada? Back then the currency was going to keep rising into the $0.80s until the separatists wanted sovereignty. Quebec does not consider anythin else besides their self-interests, like the Chirac. He's got no backbone.

:Q

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
while($bashing_french)){
$perceived_patriotism++;
}

while($perceived_patriotism >= $large){
$redneck_vote++;
}

while($redneck_vote >= $large){
$years_in_office+=$term_length;
}

:D

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: SuperTool
while($bashing_french)){
$perceived_patriotism++;
}

while($perceived_patriotism >= $large){
$redneck_vote++;
}

while($redneck_vote >= $large){
$years_in_office+=$term_length;
}

:D

???

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce
I for one will keep eating my freedom fries and freedom bread and last night I was lucky enough to get freedom kissed. This boycott is almost as retarded as the renameing of products with the word "french" in them. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that wine had to be bought before it could be poured out, so that was moronic. The reason the French wine industry is hurting is b/c people have stopped buying wine, not because people are buying it and pouring it in gutters. Like everything else is this country, the boycott will soon be forgotten. It is sad, but luckily most of this crap is being championed by the older generation that thankfully will be dead or wearing diapers by the time my generation comes to power.

And hopefully there will still be a country for your generation to assume power of.. :D

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: mastertech01
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

And hopefully there will still be a country for your generation to assume power of.. :D

True.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
It is sad, but luckily most of this crap is being championed by the older generation that thankfully will be dead or wearing diapers by the time my generation comes to power.
As one of the "older generation" thankfully we won't be around to see what your generation has managed to turn the US into.
A panty waisted, sniveling, neurotic, shell of the great country it used to be.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
It is sad, but luckily most of this crap is being championed by the older generation that thankfully will be dead or wearing diapers by the time my generation comes to power.
As one of the "older generation" thankfully we won't be around to see what your generation has managed to turn the US into.
A panty waisted, sniveling, neurotic, shell of the great country it used to be.

Hmm, lets see then, was it not members of your generation who were resposible for Iran Contra, arming Saddam to fight the Iranians, arming the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan who later became the Taliban? Oh, and didn't you guys put and support "friendly despots" like the Sauds, Hosni Mubarak etc. in power? Didn't you guys fail to support Shiites uprising against Saddam after the Gulf War? If you guys hadn't screwed so much up, my generation would have a lot less work to do. Furthermore, in your opinion, if we're not using guns we're panty waisted? Ever hear of diplomacy? It's what keeps young, mostly poor Americans from coming home in body bags after rich old men, who have never seen a day of combat in thier lives, send them places to do their dirty work.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's the 60's hippies part deux. History does repeat itself!

And when you grow up and learn that people don't always respond to please don't kill others and please don't acquire bad weapons that you aren't supposed to have you will find out that sometimes diplomancy doesn't work.

It's a noble goal and one we should strive for and always try first but at the end of it all, sadly sometimes the big stick must be used.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: etech
It's the 60's hippies part deux. History does repeat itself!

And when you grow up and learn that people don't always respond to please don't kill others and please don't acquire bad weapons that you aren't supposed to have you will find out that sometimes diplomancy doesn't work.

It's a noble goal and one we should strive for and always try first but at the end of it all, sadly sometimes the big stick must be used.

Maybe I'll buy that when I see concrete evidence of WMD.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
None of the above.

Right. Canadian currency hasn't hit the $0.70 since that referendum. Econ may be well, but our dollar sucks lemons. Canada is climbing out of a hole the Quebec separatists put us in. THAT'S GREAT??? Are you from Canada? Back then the currency was going to keep rising into the $0.80s until the separatists wanted sovereignty. Quebec does not consider anythin else besides their self-interests, like the Chirac. He's got no backbone.

:Q

It's getting up there.