So what are the best android apps?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On my note, there was a folder with google apps. Several google apps come with Android.
I see that Youtube app is installed, and obviously by default. I did install MyTube yesterday, so it's there but I may not use it. Not sure it's safe, for one thing. Might just uninstall it.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I see that Youtube app is installed, and obviously by default. I did install MyTube yesterday, so it's there but I may not use it. Not sure it's safe, for one thing. Might just uninstall it.

I thought that the default YouTube app was good. Give it a try, then try the app you downloaded. See what you think.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I thought that the default YouTube app was good. Give it a try, then try the app you downloaded. See what you think.
I'm not liking either but so far I can't get to square one with MyTube. In Youtube I had ads to squeak past (maybe there's a blocker I can get or certainly learn the ropes, the workarounds). Just as bad I'm having a devil of a time finding what I want. Once I'm watching I can't find a way to back up a few seconds or minutes or whatever. Even pause I can't figure out.

I'm kind of all thumbs with it right now. I'm on my laptop right now, I know my way around Windows pretty well and am good with a PC. Youtube on my PC seems infinitely better than with my S9 so far. Even my Windows phone using MyTube was pretty good. Supposedly I could download videos with it, but I never got that far.
- - - -
"I was drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they learned to swim." - U2, Until The End Of The World

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What’s wrong with the stock YouTube app?
Don't know, I'm trying to figure that out myself. Last night a video pops up, a favorite of mine, so I had to watch her new video. It's like an hour or something, I'm using Youtube on my S9. It was darkened with a big pause symbol smack dab in the middle and controls on either side. The middle looked like this:

< || >

WTF is that about. I messed with it for almost 5 minutes and the only way I could get it to look normal is keeping my thumb on the edge of the display... I finally gave up and shut the damn thing off.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Don't know, I'm trying to figure that out myself. Last night a video pops up, a favorite of mine, so I had to watch her new video. It's like an hour or something, I'm using Youtube on my S9. It was darkened with a big pause symbol smack dab in the middle and controls on either side. The middle looked like this:

< || >

WTF is that about. I messed with it for almost 5 minutes and the only way I could get it to look normal is keeping my thumb on the edge of the display... I finally gave up and shut the damn thing off.

You must have hit the screen while a video was playing. That will bring up the back, pause, forward controls. They will go away if you don’t touch the screen, or if you hit pause then play they will go away.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You must have hit the screen while a video was playing. That will bring up the back, pause, forward controls. They will go away if you don’t touch the screen, or if you hit pause then play they will go away.
I tried everything... wouldn't go away. Eventually I gave up... just madness. I think some developer was dreaming of donuts.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
How about VIP Access? A secure login app that generates random passwords. Seems to work fine for me when I login to ETrade. Prob got mentioned already anyway.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
While I use it - from a security perspective it has a lot of issues :(

How about VIP Access? A secure login app that generates random passwords. Seems to work fine for me when I login to ETrade. Prob got mentioned already anyway.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'd like an Android app for FM. Hopefully not just streaming FM (that would be cool, of course), but actual frequency modulation FM signals coming from "local" transmitters. Presumably it would use my earbuds' cord to pick up the frequency modulation and hopefully deliver hiss-less stereo (My Sandisk M250's are pretty dicey for stereo and I usually listen to FM in mono to get a signal that doesn't annoy, they also only have 2GB of storage). My earbuds are Etymotic Research ER4P, ER2SE also.

My data supporting Android is a Samsung S9 running Android 10, but I am using a couple of LG REBEL 3 LTE® (L158VL) cheap phones for apps around the house, which run Android 7.

Ideas, recommendations appreciated!

Reactions: Rabada

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

add free youtube is a blessing on android
Is that this?

$9.99 per month

Dubbed YouTube Red, the new service will offer ad-free versions of all current YouTube videos, as well as access to music streaming and additional exclusive content from some of the site's top creators. It will cost $9.99 per month and launch on Oct. 28.Oct 21, 2015

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'd like an Android app for FM. Hopefully not just streaming FM (that would be cool, of course), but actual frequency modulation FM signals coming from "local" transmitters. Presumably it would use my earbuds' cord to pick up the frequency modulation and hopefully deliver hiss-less stereo (My Sandisk M250's are pretty dicey for stereo and I usually listen to FM in mono to get a signal that doesn't annoy, they also only have 2GB of storage). My earbuds are Etymotic Research ER4P, ER2SE also.

My data supporting Android is a Samsung S9 running Android 10, but I am using a couple of LG REBEL 3 LTE® (L158VL) cheap phones for apps around the house, which run Android 7.

Ideas, recommendations appreciated!
I'm fairly certain that the S9 doesn't have an FM radio built in so OTA FM stations are out.
As for streaming radio I'm still using the TuneIn Radio app which I've been using for years. It's nice in that you can listen to 'local' radio wherever it's broadcast from around the world.

Edit: looks like I was wrong about that and you might be in luck!

Reactions: Rabada and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
For free apps there is none better than whatsapp.
I've not installed it or used it. I just did a search and see this, which raises concerns:

Like any app or digital device, WhatsApp is often targeted by bad actors. The app also has access to your contacts and tracks where and how long you use it, putting your privacy and personal information at risk. Here's why you should be worried about smartphone apps stealing your data.Jan 9, 2021

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm fairly certain that the S9 doesn't have an FM radio built in so OTA FM stations are out.
As for streaming radio I'm still using the TuneIn Radio app which I've been using for years. It's nice in that you can listen to 'local' radio wherever it's broadcast from around the world.

Edit: looks like I was wrong about that and you might be in luck!

I tried the built in FM on my S9. It works, but the reception (in my house) left a lot to be desired. So, I ordered a simple FM tiny portable headphone driven receiver that uses 2 AAAs, am listening to it right now. It's quite fantastic (and cheap), in that I hear no static, dropouts and the stereo separation is excellent (which is a problem for every other portable FM device I have ever used). It doesn't have a mono mode, which worried me until to my surprise I realized it wasn't necessary! Seems that all my other FM portables have nasty hiss at least some of the time when not using mono mode. This really is great. Doesn't support MP3s, no AM, but what it does it does great.

I dug it so much, I bought a 2nd. Cost me $16+tax.

Currently unavailable.
- - -
Edit 5-7-2022: I misplaced one, so bought a 3rd. Then found 2nd, of course. Now I have 3, so one backup (I have 1 and 2 downstairs and upstairs). I love this. Would be better if it supported playing MP3's, a lock switch would be cool, but I haven't found the lack of one a problem so far. Reception is far better than all my other portable FM players and the volume is way adequate. Haven't checked recently on availability but I'm set for now.

Edit a minute later: In stock! At $14.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: WelshBloke

ptthomas

May 21, 2021
I've not installed it or used it. I just did a search and see this, which raises concerns:

Like any app or digital device, WhatsApp is often targeted by bad actors. The app also has access to your contacts and tracks where and how long you use it, putting your privacy and personal information at risk. Here's why you should be worried about smartphone apps stealing your data.Jan 9, 2021
It says that all the data and chats are end to end encrypted so if there is any data breach you can legally challenge them.
Also, you can stop sharing your location.

Reactions: Muse

nathanjo

Mar 22, 2022
for music, youtube premium is the best, since every music album or any song is always launched on youtube. you get other benefits as well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I tried the built in FM on my S9. It works, but the reception (in my house) left a lot to be desired. So, I ordered a simple FM tiny portable headphone driven receiver that uses 2 AAAs, am listening to it right now. It's quite fantastic (and cheap), in that I hear no static, dropouts and the stereo separation is excellent (which is a problem for every other portable FM device I have ever used). It doesn't have a mono mode, which worried me until to my surprise I realized it wasn't necessary! Seems that all my other FM portables have nasty hiss at least some of the time when not using mono mode. This really is great. Doesn't support MP3s, no AM, but what it does it does great.

I dug it so much, I bought a 2nd. Cost me $16+tax.

Currently unavailable.
- - -
Edit 5-7-2022: I misplaced one, so bought a 3rd. Then found 2nd, of course. Now I have 3, so one backup (I have 1 and 2 downstairs and upstairs). I love this. Would be better if it supported playing MP3's, a lock switch would be cool, but I haven't found the lack of one a problem so far. Reception is far better than all my other portable FM players and the volume is way adequate. Haven't checked recently on availability but I'm set for now.

Edit a minute later: In stock! At $14.99.
In stock! At $14.99. Portable FM, small, light, very good volume, for-me great reception, batteries last a long time. I have 3!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The best android apps are google drive and google maps
Been very impressed with Google Maps so far. Much better than what I had on my Windows phones, which sometimes screwed up!

I'd probably use Google Drive but tons of my data is in Microsoft Visual Foxpro and AFAIK there's no access to it using Android. In fact I couldn't with Windows Phone either. Need Windows or maybe Ruby on Linux, but I've never tried that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wow! Thanks. I hope it works... I just set it up to install on all 3 of the android phones I've been using (only the S9 is activated). Wonder if I can access my data remotely with the S9 (I keep the working version of it on my Synology NAS). I know that even if the answer's "yes" the access won't be as convenient as with my self-designed application, but maybe usable...

I wouldn't be surprised if people in the VFP community are behind this. It's very much alive in spite of MS dropping support some years ago.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I installed it (latest version, 6.3) but I don't see how I can access the DBFs I have on my NAS. All my PCs can see and edit, etc. my DBFs there. It would be best to see the data on my NAS because that's current. I always copy that data locally, but the local data isn't current unless I've just downloaded it from the network... something I do once in a while, more for backup purposes than anything else, in case something gets screwed up on the network for some reason (happens once in a while, but that's uncommon).

Is it typical for android phones to not see data on the local network but only internally?

Is there a way to make my android phones capable of reading (and possibly also writing to) my networked data? Hopefully, DBF Viewer Beta would see them then.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I don't have android seeing my networked data, but copied a couple DBF files and their associated index and memo files to one of my android phones. DBF Viewer Beta sees the files, can open the DBF file and shows the fields but it evidently cannot read the memo fields. That's where I have the important info. Memo fields are like text files, you can have unlimited data in that just like posts here. I wrote an app that searches those fields, but DBF Viewer just searches the first character field, evidently. It shows it, but it's not common for me to put what I'm looking for in that character field. I get a message that the app can't open the memo file associated with the DBF file when I try that.