So what are the best android apps?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I remember hearing a while back about quickpic harvesting your data, either way for me there was no reason to use a gallery made by a shit company like them.

I use Google photos for automated backup (as long as your cool with Google seeing all your stuff -assuming you are since your on Android), and cmgallery for just viewing photos on the device. I like keeping the two separate so I know I can just delete stuff from cm gallery and it'll still be in Google photos.

I know Plex and Amazon both offer free cloud backup as well if your into either one of those.

I like Google Photos but haven't used it in a bit, mostly cause I am wary they will discontinue support like they do for a lot of stuff. Don't get me wrong I am a Google Fanboy but they do screw users over. Of course we'd have enough notice to find an alternative plan. Gonna try it again.

Whether CM or Google has my data, it's all the same to me at this point. I just like the QuickPic interface as well.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
+1 for Google Photos, it also works as a gallery for on device pictures, but like Nvidiaguy said, I like keeping them separate as well.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
+1 for Google Photos, it also works as a gallery for on device pictures, but like Nvidiaguy said, I like keeping them separate as well.

I'm gonna use Google Photos as a backup in tandem with QuickPic's CM Cloud backup as my primary gallery app. I factory reset my phone a few days ago and Google Photos had no simple restore feature that I could find. QP Cloud backup restored all my photos and created their appropriate folders in a jiffy. Seamless.

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
if you guys play overwatch, oversumo is a great app to stay up to date with your progress. also a decent app to learn about matchups so you know why junkrat can't go head to head against flying pharah. :D

other than that, i often find myself exploring apps that can help me learn other languages and since i'm a fan of japanese language, i found japanese learning practice app, a decent one since it offers audio lessons and it's totally free, though it uses internet connection to stream audio lessons. rosetta stone is another one but it's not free :(

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
Found an app to turn on my PC remotely. My tablet is now a basic remote for devices wired to my network! Fun. Always wanted to make this work. :)
(While there are other apps for this, this one worked with no real effort on my part, and won't push ads on you, AFAIK.)

Download "Wake On Lan" by Mike Webb, on the Play store (note capitalization in name)

Please note: Wake On LAN functionality has to be enabled on your motherboard or/and network card.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
is AdAway still the best ad blocking app?
I still use AdAway on one of my phones but there's also a module you can use if you're using Magisk instead of SuperSU nowadays (which you should). Functionally there's not much difference so you can keep using what you're using.

If you're on an unrooted device, my recommendation is using the Samsung Browser (the beta is available to all phones) and loading an adblock extension.

JosePHernandes

Nov 23, 2017
Anyways, the big things I'm looking for best phentermine otc right now are a good offline GPS and a good music player.

For music, I've tried a lot of apps and finally settled with jetAudioPlus. It plays almost any type of music files you have, comes with 32 equalizer presets and advanced playback functions like playback speed control, crossfading, AGC etc. The Crystalizer, AM3D Audio Enhancer and Bongiovi DPS sound effects plugins are awesome.

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
For those looking for offline GPS, I use Nokia's Here Maps. It let's you download specific countries and/or states so you have offline maps and navigation in those areas. Saved my butt a few months ago after going on a road trip and getting lost in an area with no reception, at midnight, in the middle of a thunderstorm. I would definitely recommend it! Now I always have it installed as an offline backup if Google Maps ever fails me.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
If no one posted it yet (and your phone camera will shoot in RAW), Camera FV5 is just excellent. I get images from my S7 Edge now that rival my dSLR.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Gravity Screen - turns your phone screen on and off while you lay it down on tables and pick it up, or put it in your pocket and take it out, etc...

Reactions: Kaido and Zelda77

FreshBross

Jul 30, 2018
Anyways, the big things I'm looking for right now are a good offline GPS and a good music player. Offline GPS kind of important...now previously I've really loved Garmin GPS units, so if anything could resemble the performance of that, that would be awesome.
I've been using Maps.Me for a while now and have found very few issues with it. It does work offline although it's put to best use when you plan your drive ahead of time. You'll need to know where you're going so that you can download the map beforehand to use it offline. It's most likely one of the greatest competitors to google maps because of it's mass amount of details included in the maps. Great for route directions turn by turn and for tourists in search of their next destination.
For offline music I use Spotify, although it does cost a monthly fee of almost 10$ I do find it worth it just for the large amount of music but if you're looking for a free music player for offline use, I can recommend Rocket Player: Music Player, it does allow you to download music for offline use and even lets you download the lyrics aswell. It has a large list of features to be used and is 100% free.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I like mytrack to see where i've been. I live in a walkable city and typically have to walk 5 miles a day; good to go back and look for different paths.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If you have a newish Samsung phone get the new goodlock, it'll let you customise a lot of stuff. You can hide a bunch of the stuff in the top bar (Do you really need the alarm symbol, WiFi symbol and the rest). You can adjust the sensitivity of the screen at the edge. You can customise the notification shade. You can set up routines (which is a bit like tasker but easier)...

It's pretty good.

Reactions: Harley Ben

mcveigh

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2000
Anyone know a similar app to Brain.fm? I like theirs and would pay for it, but I don't want a monthly fee.
I have some downloaded chill/study music, but it's clunky to try and find it in a mix of songs to play.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
For those looking for offline GPS, I use Nokia's Here Maps. It let's you download specific countries and/or states so you have offline maps and navigation in those areas. Saved my butt a few months ago after going on a road trip and getting lost in an area with no reception, at midnight, in the middle of a thunderstorm. I would definitely recommend it! Now I always have it installed as an offline backup if Google Maps ever fails me.

How is that different/better from Google offline maps?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
How is that different/better from Google offline maps?
Last I checked Google's offline doesn't let you specify a specific city/state/country, and it's only temporary and has to be refreshed. Plus I use Google Maps as my main GPS, so it's intentional to have another separate app act as backup maps/gps.

Reactions: bigi

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
My phone life would be incomplete without:

Happy Chic = Emulator
BubbleUpnp = DLNA player
Printshare = Print from phone
Ski Tracks = Sports gps tracker

Mr Write

Oct 8, 2013
Fluid Navigation Gestures is an excellent replacement for the one feature I really missed from MIUI, when I switched to LineageOS on my Xiaomi Pocophone.

The only caveats are that you need root to remove the navigation buttons, and occasionally you'll find some apps that bring back the buttons while you're in them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I have this on a Windows Phone and yes, it works just like that and I love it. IIRC, my upgrade Windows phone (Alcatel IDOL 4S Windows 10) has a "new" GPS system and my experience with it has been very disappointing. However, I still have my 2 older Windows phones (Nokia 520 and Nokia 640LTE) and they work just fine for (offline) GPS offline.

I ordered my first Android phone this morning, actually 2 of the same phone, LG Rebel 3 L158VL 4G LTE with 16GB Storage, 2GB RAM, 1.1ghz processor Cell Phone for $30 apiece. I figure to use them SIM-less for Roku app support via WIFI, and weather apps around the house, get a better Android for data/phone etc. eventually, since Windows Phone is going just plain belly up at this point.

Up to this moment, I don't believe I've ever had an Android phone in my hands, but that will change in a couple of days! Just took a peak in this thread and must say, most of the posts absolutely mystify me... but this post I just quoted makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

TubeTote

May 11, 2006
I agree with the many that mention PowerAmp, that has been a great app for me since I love FLAC as a format. Also it is so inexpensive that it is practically free.

Another great app I just discovered last week is Pluto TV. It is basically free cable TV that streams on your phone. They even have full length unedited movies, most of them classics, but hey I like classics. The only caveat is that there are adds...but if you can tolerate that, it is an excellent app that reminds me why I don't bother paying for cable or TV service.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
what app is good for blocking spam calls?
im told Pixel can do this automatically, but buying a new phone doesnt make sense