So what are the best android apps?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I didn't check the whole thread, but any recommendations for good Gallery replacement apps? My new tablet didn't ship with one and Google Photos is terrible. Would prefer one that works like Samsung's Gallery.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I've seen that, but the problem is I lose my phone in my house more than anything else... so it wouldn't do me much good =P
Good one, but seriously if you have an iPhone it works. You attach the Tile square to something you can't lose like the refrigerator. And you press the fridge tile twice and the lost iPhone will ring even on silent within 100 yards or so. But won't work on Android phones. Maybe they add it for all smart phones someday.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Another vote for Poweramp. I've yet to find a music app that does as much as it. If you are a AAA member, their app is invaluable.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I only have one downloaded app on my phone, Cribbage Classic. It's great, but it's ad-driven and there's no way to pay to turn them off. I basically play it when I'm flying or I can't sleep.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Fast STL Viewer

Found this app when looking for a way to view .stl files (file format used for 3D CAD models, particularly for 3D printing) on my phone. It's a simple and easy to use app, and doesn't require extensive permissions (just one for storage, to open .stl files).

rameshrath

Jan 21, 2017
I won't go any other music player google music that's it. For GPS I've tried some other GPS but didn't like any. Now searching for Best VR game app.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
any vid chat app that can auto answer? i dont think Viber or Tango can auto answer.
many years ago, phones have an option for auto answer. so my parent would use this feature to eavesdrop on the babysitter by calling me.
now it's my turn to eavesdrop on my grandmother to make sure the care giver is doing their jobs. i figure there must be an video chat app that auto answers so i can see as well as hear.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Textra for messaging. The default messaging app on Verizon's Samsung devices is so crappy, I found it unusable and replaced it the day I bought the phone.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
Foxfi was at the top but Android 7 killed it on my S7

Keyme is an app for having replacement keys made. Open app, take pics of both sides of your key. A week later and $5 lighter your key is delivered to your mailbox. It worked perfectly for me.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Foxfi was at the top but Android 7 killed it on my S7

That's not good, was about to go to an S8 from a Note 3 Android 5.0. I purchased FoxFi and would like to keep using it to share for kids' iPad minis in the car.

EDIT> What's wrong with using Mobile Hotspot? It looks like I can switch to that for free.

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Textra for messaging. The default messaging app on Verizon's Samsung devices is so crappy, I found it unusable and replaced it the day I bought the phone.
Like textra but it started with ads after a trial period. Is there anything just as good before I decide to pay for this? Multiple phones/accounts need it so free would be better. Hangouts is being sunset which is why I started looking in the first place.

Qine

Jun 16, 2017
Poweramp is the best music player out there, if you like messing with system with root and flashing try flashing Sony's Walkman

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Alarm app - any good ones that support voice control? The default in the latest Android version took away the voice ability. I used to be able to snooze/stop the alarm via voice command from a distance. Was very convenient (when it worked).

Last edited:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Alarm app - any good ones that support voice control? The default in the latest Android version took away the voice ability. I used to be able to snooze/stop the alarm via voice command from a distance. Was very convenient (when it worked).
Well the default alarm app just asked for an update and that's when I realized it's a Samsung app and not one that comes with the latest Android version so it was Samsung who updated away the voice feature. :(

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Nova Launcher Prime for a launcher
Textra for texting
QuickPic for a gallery
True Phone Dialer & Contacts for a dialer
Folder Organizer to organize apps
Weather Timeline for weather
Alarm Clock Xtreme for an alarm clock, stopwatch & timer
Viber for data only messaging and video calling
Gsam Battery for a battery monitoring app
Fotor for a photo editing app
That Shopping List for a Grocery shopping list

I've tried a lot of different apps in each category over the years and find these the best. I like the stock LG Camera App for the V20 so I kept that on.

Tip for the dialer True Phone Dialer - it has a ton of options, but one it doesn't have is to have the Favorites screen be the default when launching the dialer. However when installed it does create a shortcut to your Favorites in the app drawer - so just set that as your dialer launch - just change the icon to that of a phone. I've used DW Dialer for the most part, and tried Drupe and Rocketdialer, but True is my favorite right now.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Google apps that I use:
Authenticator
Calendar
Chrome
Drive
Docs/Sheets/Slides
Find Device (used to be android device manager)
Fit (kinda sucks)
Gmail
Hangouts and dialer (must have for google voice users)
Home
Keep (wunderlist is better)
Maps for Nav
Photos for auto backup
Play Books (awesome)
Play music (awesome)
Play games/movies/etc
Chrome remote desktop
google voice (not really needed if using hangouts)
Youtube

Non google apps:
AOSP gallery - all galleries in the play store suck, find this apk and install it
Kindle
Audible
Bench App for beer league hockey
hbo go
instagram
private internet access
plex
pocket casts or doggcatcher (long time doggcatcher user, but trying out pocket casts - more modern look)
voice recorder
sleep cycle
steam
strava - best running app IMO - syncs with other serivces flawlessly (i use a garmin FR235)
unified remote
wunderlist (better than keep imo)
nova launcher prime (i dont mind googles stock launcher, but this is more customizeable)

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
QuickPic for a gallery

I hope your not using the cheetah mobile version that is in the play store. Older version of quickpic are OK, but the one owned by them is terrible.

If youre looking for just a plain gallery, download an apk from xda. I use CMgallery (i think) and it does everything I need it to.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I hope your not using the cheetah mobile version that is in the play store. Older version of quickpic are OK, but the one owned by them is terrible.

If youre looking for just a plain gallery, download an apk from xda. I use CMgallery (i think) and it does everything I need it to.

I am using the CM version as of a month ago when I switched to the LG V20. Before that was an older version.

I tried a few apps like F-Stop and A+ but didn't find all the features I wanted. I like the CM Cloud Backup for example. I know Cheetah Mobile doesn't have the best rep but Quick Pic seems to still be good. It's' fast and has the right features.

What gallery app has seamless cloud backup for all your photos - either a house backup like CM Cloud or Google Drive?

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I am using the CM version as of a month ago when I switched to the LG V20. Before that was an older version.

I tried a few apps like F-Stop and A+ but didn't find all the features I wanted. I like the CM Cloud Backup for example. I know Cheetah Mobile doesn't have the best rep but Quick Pic seems to still be good. It's' fast and has the right features.

What gallery app has seamless cloud backup for all your photos - either a house backup like CM Cloud or Google Drive?
I remember hearing a while back about quickpic harvesting your data, either way for me there was no reason to use a gallery made by a shit company like them.

I use Google photos for automated backup (as long as your cool with Google seeing all your stuff -assuming you are since your on Android), and cmgallery for just viewing photos on the device. I like keeping the two separate so I know I can just delete stuff from cm gallery and it'll still be in Google photos.

I know Plex and Amazon both offer free cloud backup as well if your into either one of those.