So we complain about gas, but pay more for water?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Who pays this much for water?

Our watermakers have such good quality output we have to ADD stuff so it won't cause an electrolytic imbalance to people that choose to drink it! Of course most people think shipboard potable water is "bad" and won't drink it anyways. :roll:

Tap water quality can be quite frightening on land. If you're really paranoid, roll your own. :)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Ok, you have all convinced me. I'll just run my car on 2 cent water and buy a 20 oz bottle of gas every now and then.

Wait! I can't do this!

It isn't the cost of a unit of commodity, it's the total cost here. People bitch about the price of a gallon of gas because that is how it's sold in the US. They are really bitching because it costs 30 bucks or more for a tank of gas, and they have no two cent a gallon option which most would choose if there were one, just as most people drink the majority of their water from less expensive sources even if they occasionally buy the bottled stuff.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yes, well people are stupid.
no...no... people are strange

and if you drink water real fast it will give you gas :D
If you consume any air, that gives you gas. That's why straws are teh evIL.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i reserve my right to bitch and complain about the gas prices because i either drink water from the tap, or use my brita filter

Davegod75

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
Someone pointed out to me that bottled water costs more than gasoline for our cars, yet we complain about gas prices even though we pay $1 for a bottle for water

:shocked:

my main argument against bottled water. the tap is just fine.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Davegod75
Someone pointed out to me that bottled water costs more than gasoline for our cars, yet we complain about gas prices even though we pay $1 for a bottle for water

my main argument against bottled water. the tap is just fine.

That's what coke thought in the UK - Dasani

ohtwell

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I don't pay more for water. I pay $3.97 for about 3 gallons of water. 3 gallons of gas costs me about $6.00.

: ) Amanda

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

We don't drink 18 gallons of bottled water a week.

This is an old and worn comparison.
The same comparison can be made for many products.

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
The only time I buy bottled water is when I'm on the road--which is much more convenient and cheaper than flying or driving 1000 miles to my house to get it out of my tap. And although I do sometimes comment about the price of gas, rarely do I complain about it, because no matter what the price is, it is a necessary item that I must purchase if I wish to make it back and forth to work and complaining does not power my vehicle.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
I keep a 24-pack in the trunk of my car. 25 cents per bottle plus CRV.

What people usually compare are a gallon of gas and a gallon of milk. Although I think gas may cost more than milk now.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: gwlam12
I keep a 24-pack in the trunk of my car. 25 cents per bottle plus CRV.

What people usually compare are a gallon of gas and a gallon of milk. Although I think gas may cost more than milk now.
nah it still doesn't. Milk is almost $3 for a gallon, sometimes more.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

So we complain about gas, but pay more for water?

Maybe because the price of water isn't nearing all-time highs and won't fluctuate based on activities going on in the Middle East...

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Many people have traces of jet fuel, lead, and other "nutrients" in their tap water. I'd shell out for bottled water in that case.

-geoff

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Only idiots buy bottled water and think it's "safer" than tap water. Because bottled water IS tap water. And the municipal water that comes out of my tap is one of the cleanest in the world.

Comparing gas vs. bottled water prices, or gas vs. milk prices is simply not a valid comparison. First, I never buy or consume bottled water or milk (the former is a waste, the latter is unhealthy for adult humans). Second, the prices of bottled water and milk are not controlled by foreign countries or by speculative traders on Wall Street (who are the real culprits in this year's rise, just like last year).

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
Many people have traces of jet fuel, lead, and other "nutrients" in their tap water. I'd shell out for bottled water in that case.

-geoff
Yep. At my old apartment, if you didn't turn on the faucet for a few days and then turned it on, the water would come out full of rust at first. The water might be clean when it leaves the plant, but it probably picks up a lot of crap along the way.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
The majority of people have to purchase gasoline to function in society.

The majority of people do not have to purchase bottled water to function in society.

knyghtbyte

Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Only idiots buy bottled water and think it's "safer" than tap water. Because bottled water IS tap water. And the municipal water that comes out of my tap is one of the cleanest in the world.

Comparing gas vs. bottled water prices, or gas vs. milk prices is simply not a valid comparison. First, I never buy or consume bottled water or milk (the former is a waste, the latter is unhealthy for adult humans). Second, the prices of bottled water and milk are not controlled by foreign countries or by speculative traders on Wall Street (who are the real culprits in this year's rise, just like last year).

uh? bottled water is tap water? no, SOME bottled water is just tap water from the same source as the tap (ie massive reservoir). Some bottled water (the more expensive ones) are from natural springs, which means the water is purer as its bottled without being treated (ie the nearest point to the glacial meltflow or whatever they call it these days...lol).