So we complain about gas, but pay more for water?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
I've only been to one place that I insist on bottled water, and that's because the tap water in that place tastes like crap. It's called Lake Havasu city. They don't have water rights to take water from the Colorado River that flows through thier town, so they have to use wells.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

so let's go ahead and compare the price of a cologne or perfume (after you convert fluid oz to gallons) against gas while we are at this...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
milk costs more than gasoline
So what? Do you have to drink 2-3 gallons of milk to get to work and back every day?

The price of milk is also artificially inflated by government subsidies.

Anyway, milk is unhealthy for adult humans. When doctors finally decide to discover the real cause of obesity in modern America, I predict they'll find it was milk all along.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: UglyCasanova
You are paying for convenience.

So, why aren't we paying more for gasoline? What could be more convenient than sticking a hose into your car and pulling a lever? Gasoline at a full service gas station is more convenient because you don't even have to get out of the car.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I buy bottled water every once in a while when I need some quick, cold water and all thats around are un-filtered drinking fountains. I know this is Seattle where the pure, beautiful rain falls in abundance (well, not this year) but the city water is TERRIBLE.

I might be spoiled as at my home in Spokane, WA we go off a well and the water is naturally cold and delicous (I just hold my mouth under the sink and drink to my hearts content). Either way, a Brita is a must for us. I ended up buying a 20-pack of bottled water about 2 years ago and continue to use the bottles to this day filling directly from the Britia (after washing them). Works well for me!

-spike

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Anyway, milk is unhealthy for adult humans. When doctors finally decide to discover the real cause of obesity in modern America, I predict they'll find it was milk all along.
What?! I love milk :) It's not made me fat, and in fact is a staple of my weight-maintenance!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Not everywhere has safe water. I live outside of Dekalb IL. They have some pretty unsafe water. The radeon in it at one time was 3 times the legal limet. A few times i recall being told to boil water before drinking it.

So it was just easyer to buy bottled water. Not to mention I buy from sams club. has cheaper water then $1 a 20/oz.

But my new house has a nice water filtration system. so i havent baught water in 6 months heh.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I'm thirty, the water costs a buck, I buy it. This isn't even getting into the fact sometimes its like 2.50 in a theatre or amusement park or something.

Gas, I refil a 16 gallon tank each time and I don't ever have it in short supply enough to "need" it to make my body feel confortable/normal. I don't carry that kind of water around with me.

EDIT: Thirsty, not thirty... Damn morning times when I'm too lazy to find my glasses... or wake up properly.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
A good wager is that I spent more on water in the past week than anyone else here has spent all year.

A stuck 4" make up valve on the cooling towers cost $40,000 in water in a month. The towers remove heat from a 6,000 ton flotronic system which keeps a lot of computers healthy.

That's a lot of water. I remember the meter looking like the altimeter of a zero diving at the Arizona only it was going up!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: DrPizza
:) A good wager is that I spent more on water in the past week than anyone else here has spent all year.
Filling a pool? :)

Nope: well tested, new pump, new pressure tank, all new plumbing throughout the house, new faucets, and a whole house filter. Basically, everything is new except the well casing.
$$$$

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: FleshLight
Originally posted by: aplefka
This is always one of the common arguments made. Quite honestly, it doesn't hold up. You can pay 25 cents for a gallon of water at the local grocery store. That's 4 gallons for $1. For the price of 1 gallon of cheap gasoline, you could get about 8.25 gallons of water.

Or you can pay $.005 for a gallon of water through your municipal water supplier.

Or, if you have a well, it's free!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: aplefka
This is always one of the common arguments made. Quite honestly, it doesn't hold up. You can pay 25 cents for a gallon of water at the local grocery store. That's 4 gallons for $1. For the price of 1 gallon of cheap gasoline, you could get about 8.25 gallons of water.

It holds up when you realize the vast majority of bottled water sold is sold in single serving bottles.

The bottled water industry is a multi billion dollar a year business. And it's a scam.

In most areas tap water tastes fine. In all areas, tap water is safe. In fact, your tap water is more tightly regulated than bottled water.

Not only that, but the majority of bottled water brands are... get this... TAP WATER.

Penn and Teller did a hilarious blind taste test with L.A. tap water and expensive bottled waters. The tap water won by a wide margin.

Saw the P&T bit last night. It was hilarious, and soooo true. I only buy bottled water for the convenience. I like to have one in the car.