So uh...is anything going to be done about the NSA?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Is anything going to be done about the NSA? Yes. We are going to elect Republicans to stop it.

What we are not going to have a real choice in any of this. No possible alternatives exist so it's either party and both will back this. The joke is grand, the problem remains.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
What we are not going to have a real choice in any of this. No possible alternatives exist so it's either party and both will back this. The joke is grand, the problem remains.
I guess we'll have to pick the one of the two parties that doesn't outright reject facts and reason and then attempt to reason with them.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I guess we'll have to pick the one of the two parties that doesn't outright reject facts and reason and then attempt to reason with them.

Obviously you mean to pick the Democrats, however they have not proved sufficiently disposed to make changes although they are have shown any collective real concern. Those who have power endorse what is being done. I had hoped that we would reverse our trip down the rabbit hole when they obtained the Presidency, however those who count in the party wish for what we have. We need fidelity, not those who would cheat less often.

There is no real world scenario where this changes.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
LOL Yeah, that should work. I'll help you put your boot on my neck, then I'll reason with you as to why you should remove it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
LOL Yeah, that should work. I'll help you put your boot on my neck, then I'll reason with you as to why you should remove it.

So now we're pretending that Democrats are the ones who originally put the boot on your neck?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Obviously you mean to pick the Democrats, however they have not proved sufficiently disposed to make changes although they are have shown any collective real concern. Those who have power endorse what is being done. I had hoped that we would reverse our trip down the rabbit hole when they obtained the Presidency, however those who count in the party wish for what we have. We need fidelity, not those who would cheat less often.

There is no real world scenario where this changes.
I didn't claim it would be easy but when your choice is between impossible and improbable, improbable is the only choice.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So now we're pretending that Democrats are the ones who originally put the boot on your neck?
Oh no, clearly this is Cheney at work. He dons his Spandex super-villain suit and sneaks in while Obama is not paying attention - or in other words, any time he wants, according to Obama - and commits evil while dry-washing his hands and laughing at how upset Obama will be once he notices the evil created in his name. Of course, the joke's on Cheney as Obama has no clue about anything going on in government until he reads it in the paper.

Dumbass.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Um, no.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...iss-explain-defend-nsa-phone-records-program/

This is a problem that transcends traditional Democrat and Republican boundaries and exposes the fact that the two party system in the US is essentially a sham. What is needed are strong viable candidates who are firmly outside the influence of the ruling corporatist/statist power structure.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Um, no.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...iss-explain-defend-nsa-phone-records-program/

This is a problem that transcends traditional Democrat and Republican boundaries and exposes the fact that the two party system in the US is essentially a sham. What is needed are strong viable candidates who are firmly outside the influence of the ruling corporatist/statist power structure.
I wouldn't say it's a sham, but the two parties are far more alike than not, and this is one of those areas where they are in lockstep.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I wouldn't say it's a sham, but the two parties are far more alike than not, and this is one of those areas where they are in lockstep.

Lockstep you say? Did you happen to look at the voting records for all the different stages of the Patriot Act/FISA?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Um, no.

You will find more than a few Democrat politicians that oppose the spying. You will have a very hard time finding any Republican politicians that oppose it, if any.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Lockstep you say? Did you happen to look at the voting records for all the different stages of the Patriot Act/FISA?
As I've said before, this is an issue where the left is generally better than the right, but the leadership certainly is in lockstep. It's Obama doing it now, and either party can always get the votes needed.

destey

Jan 17, 2008
Wow, "child", you are soooo cool you intarweb debater. Worst debate tactic ever. Go ask your mom for some more hot pockets.

If you knew how the world works you'd realize that the "free market" means that you try everything you can to get a one up on your competitor. I thought that's why you libertopians want, right? But hey, I guess we should all sit around a campfire and sing pretty songs, and let each other live in "peace".

ROFL. You guys crack me up with you naive notion of how humans work. It's what fundamentally undermines your political stance. If you took even a rational perspective on humanity you might win a bit more. As it is you are nothing but little naif children who think that the world is just and people will respect you for not being assertive.

Did you even look up Target2?

Idiotic rantings. GTFO, nobody wants you here.