So uh...is anything going to be done about the NSA?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
nsa-site-ddos-attack-.si.jpg

Stop Watching Us Rally
October 24, 2013 - 12:00pm to October 27, 2013 - 12:00pm, Washington DC

Right now the NSA is spying on everyone's personal communications, and they’re operating without any meaningful oversight. Since the Snowden leaks started, more than 571,000 people from all walks of life have signed the StopWatching.us petition telling the U.S. Congress that we want them to rein in the NSA.

On October 26th, the 12th anniversary of the signing of the US Patriot Act, we're taking the next step and holding the largest rally yet against NSA surveillance. We’ll be handing the half-million petitions to Congress to remind them that they work for us -- and we won’t tolerate mass surveillance any longer.

Gather at Columbus Circle in front of Union Station, then march to the Capitol Reflecting Pool
Date and time:
12pm Eastern, Saturday October 26th

https://rally.stopwatching.us/

Uno

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Watch out Hollywood started fighting them.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGmiw_rrNxk they will shut their doors soon.

Interesting video but all it does is make the NSA spying crap look like this issue is a one party issue and it sticks to only including people the on partisan left-wing (i.e. those who adore the state) side of which Hollywood marches for in the end. Color me not impressed.

Last edited:

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
So uh...is anything going to be done about the NSA?

The simple answer to that question is no. Not until people like Saxby Chambliss and Dianne Feinstein are removed from power and replaced with people who actually care about the principles on which the United States were founded.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Interesting video but all it does is make the NSA spying crap look like this issue is a one party issue and it sticks to only including people the on partisan left-wing (i.e. those who adore the state) side of which Hollywood marches for in the end. Color me not impressed.

You like how they kept showing Nixon in there? Like what he did was even close to what is going on right now.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Do something about the NSA? I haven't see much that would lead me to believe that only minor issues need to be solved.

The vast majority of Snowden's "releases" are about foreign intelligence. With that he has undermined everything he said he wanted and just proved that he is nothing more than a traitor. Had he kept his released to *just* domestic spying I'd have more sympathy and righteous outrage. Instead he has buried his message in childish and naive stupidity. Same thing as Manning.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Of course, something will be done, if not already. More control and automation of government programs/operations to minimize leaks, regardless of their constitutionality. More mass-media propaganda to make public accept that they have no privacy, and that they should live with it. More shaming such as "do you have something to hide?", and the good ole' terrorism scare.

If anything happens, it will be that the NSA goes farther underground, and does what they can to quiet their operations.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Do something about the NSA? I haven't see much that would lead me to believe that only minor issues need to be solved.

The vast majority of Snowden's "releases" are about foreign intelligence. With that he has undermined everything he said he wanted and just proved that he is nothing more than a traitor. Had he kept his released to *just* domestic spying I'd have more sympathy and righteous outrage. Instead he has buried his message in childish and naive stupidity. Same thing as Manning.

I'm glad we know the degree to which we have no principles. Perfidious America.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I'm glad we know the degree to which we have no principles. Perfidious America.

Principles? Are you fucking kidding me. There are no principles in international relations. There are temporary allies, allies of convenience and allies of 99%. There are no perfect allies. Everybody is looking to fuck everybody else. Isn't that the "free market" you all want? So some fuckstick thinks that we should be "free free" market, we shouldn't just be a free market in how we compete but we should tell everybody how we are going to do it.

What a fucking nutball idea. That's like walking around a work environment saying "I am going to backstab you" on a name tag on your shirt.

You guys are really a bunch of naive idiots. Do you even work in the real world? Do you even go to a competitive school?

Awe, poor little kids. Everybody needs a medal and a pat on the head for being a "good sport".

LOL.

It's even more laughable for people to think "awe, poor germans". What the fuck do you think the Euro is? How the fuck do you think Germany has accumulated over a trillion dollars of Target2 payments. Do you think the German ruling class sits around saying "wow, we need to figure out how to employ less germans so we can help the Greeks and Italians accumulate less debt". Fuck no, they are waging economic war on the southern european states and the rest of the Euro zone. Do you think they and the French sit across and say "Lets be fair about this"?

Is that how you think the real world works?

Obviously this fuckstick, Snowden, thinks it does. Now he's stuck in a shithole country run by a bunch of oligarchs who do nothing but horde cash and let their entire country sink into a cesspool of shit called Krokadil. Hope he enjoys shit vodka, shit weather and a shitter economy while he looks around at how crappy the rest of the world has it compared to the US.

Last edited:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
His initial disclosure may be admirable, but he went way beyond it into nation vs. nation intelligence activities.

He's a supporter of Ron Paul, too. That is treason against humanity.

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
Only chance of something getting done is if someone thinks it will help them get elected by promising to do something about it and actually does something about it. Until then an all-powerful spying Government organization serves all politicians well. Especially this far away from any elections.

And the thing that would be done about is, they would get better at hiding it lol.

Nothing is gonna change until we some how get somebody in there with morals. That actually care about the country and not power and somebody that's willing to go against everybody else.

That won't ever happen, neither side will let it happen. Right now no matter how much they bitch back and fourth it's simple a game to them, but if somebody else tries to get involved they'll both make sure to stomp him/her.

AViking

Platinum Member
Sep 12, 2013
Pre-911, Iraq, etc our intelligence was TERRIBLE. Today we have an incredible intelligence apparatus.

Pick your poison.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
snowden is an epic hero. we live in a police state and some people dont even realize it. there is no way a government can have this huge spying network and not use it for everything possible, not just going after terrorists, who by the way wouldnt even exist if our gov werent creating them

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Principles? Are you fucking kidding me. There are no principles in international relations. There are temporary allies, allies of convenience and allies of 99%. There are no perfect allies. Everybody is looking to fuck everybody else. Isn't that the "free market" you all want? So some fuckstick thinks that we should be "free free" market, we shouldn't just be a free market in how we compete but we should tell everybody how we are going to do it.

What a fucking nutball idea. That's like walking around a work environment saying "I am going to backstab you" on a name tag on your shirt.

You guys are really a bunch of naive idiots. Do you even work in the real world? Do you even go to a competitive school?

Awe, poor little kids. Everybody needs a medal and a pat on the head for being a "good sport".

LOL.

It's even more laughable for people to think "awe, poor germans". What the fuck do you think the Euro is? How the fuck do you think Germany has accumulated over a trillion dollars of Target2 payments. Do you think the German ruling class sits around saying "wow, we need to figure out how to employ less germans so we can help the Greeks and Italians accumulate less debt". Fuck no, they are waging economic war on the southern european states and the rest of the Euro zone. Do you think they and the French sit across and say "Lets be fair about this"?

Is that how you think the real world works?

Obviously this fuckstick, Snowden, thinks it does. Now he's stuck in a shithole country run by a bunch of oligarchs who do nothing but horde cash and let their entire country sink into a cesspool of shit called Krokadil. Hope he enjoys shit vodka, shit weather and a shitter economy while he looks around at how crappy the rest of the world has it compared to the US.

I know how the world works and I said what I meant and meant what I said. I cannot help that you have been damaged and live in constant fear and hate. Perhaps China would suit you better because there people live carefully managed lives led by the state and China would have executed anyone for much less than what Snowden did. Your perfect society. You want everyone watched all the time so emigrate to where those like you are in charge. Of course rational people understand that there will always be spying because the world is full of those who would do harm, but that is not everyone and that you are a xenophobe does not change that. I'm more concerned with the O'Briens of the world, like you, but you are small, fearful and weak, and so you have my pity, but not my tolerance for your desire for an Orwellian society. I hope you find courage and peace.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Pre-911, Iraq, etc our intelligence was TERRIBLE. Today we have an incredible intelligence apparatus.

Pick your poison.

No. We had intelligence which was bent towards providing a means to an end. "We have an incredible intelligence apparatus". Yes, yes we do. We also have an incredible military with nuclear weapons galore. Shall we let slip that dog as well? Pick your poison? No. The saying is "walk softly and carry a big stick" not beat everyone with it. As incredible as it may seem to some some level of trust is needed. The enraged fearful guy I responded to had one point worth mentioning and that is nations do not have friends, they have common interests. When a nation morphs into one that seeks to violate commonly held notions of privacy not out of need but because it can then proceeds to bully the world over one man, that nation has shown it's true nature, and it's ugly and screams "fear and do not trust".

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I know how the world works and I said what I meant and meant what I said. I cannot help that you have been damaged and live in constant fear and hate. Perhaps China would suit you better because there people live carefully managed lives led by the state and China would have executed anyone for much less than what Snowden did. Your perfect society. You want everyone watched all the time so emigrate to where those like you are in charge. Of course rational people understand that there will always be spying because the world is full of those who would do harm, but that is not everyone and that you are a xenophobe does not change that. I'm more concerned with the O'Briens of the world, like you, but you are small, fearful and weak, and so you have my pity, but not my tolerance for your desire for an Orwellian society. I hope you find courage and peace.

This is the problem with libertopians. They think that a constant state of reality = constant state of fear. Get a fucking clue about the real world.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

This 'apparatus' is directed at us. It is the effective elimination of the 4th and 5th amendments. Likely the 1st as well, given the power of intimidation. The NSA is a direct assault on the Bill of Rights and it is the duty of every American to see it shut down.

Any American who supports it is my opponent, and our government's violations of its core / founding principles is one of the most important voting issues to me.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
This is the problem with libertopians. They think that a constant state of reality = constant state of fear. Get a fucking clue about the real world.

Child, I've seen the real world and lived it. I am aware of potential danger but I haven't fallen down your rabbit hole. Stick to COD.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Child, I've seen the real world and lived it. I am aware of potential danger but I haven't fallen down your rabbit hole. Stick to COD.

Wow, "child", you are soooo cool you intarweb debater. Worst debate tactic ever. Go ask your mom for some more hot pockets.

If you knew how the world works you'd realize that the "free market" means that you try everything you can to get a one up on your competitor. I thought that's why you libertopians want, right? But hey, I guess we should all sit around a campfire and sing pretty songs, and let each other live in "peace".

ROFL. You guys crack me up with you naive notion of how humans work. It's what fundamentally undermines your political stance. If you took even a rational perspective on humanity you might win a bit more. As it is you are nothing but little naif children who think that the world is just and people will respect you for not being assertive.

Did you even look up Target2?

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Edward Snowden has NOT changed the world, as witnessed by the NSA continuing the exact same policies without even attempting to hide them.

53% of American voters voted for bigger government. This is what bigger government does. Power given will be power exercised and increased, without exception. The vast majority of Americans are okay with this.

I would say this is pretty accurate. The majority wants big government, they want the feeling of security, they want to believe that someone is always going to be there to make sure something bad doesn't happen to them. The price of that feeling of security is personal freedom, most people think that's pretty cheap.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I would say this is pretty accurate. The majority wants big government, they want the feeling of security, they want to believe that someone is always going to be there to make sure something bad doesn't happen to them. The price of that feeling of security is personal freedom, most people think that's pretty cheap.

You don't know what you got, til it's gone.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Nothing will ever be done, no one will ever be held accountable.....and Obama & company are laughing their heads off about it, because now the sheeple's attention is on why the Obamacare website doesn't work! :rolleyes:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
This 'apparatus' is directed at us. It is the effective elimination of the 4th and 5th amendments. Likely the 1st as well, given the power of intimidation. The NSA is a direct assault on the Bill of Rights and it is the duty of every American to see it shut down.

Any American who supports it is my opponent, and our government's violations of its core / founding principles is one of the most important voting issues to me.
Well said.

Also well said.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Is anything going to be done about the NSA? Yes. We are going to elect Republicans to stop it.