So they finally fired Bobby Knight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
The University of Indiana gave Bob Knight one last chance for him to seek professional help, alter the personality that has embarrased himself and the University. They clearly stated that they had a -0- tolerance policy. This last chance was to the outrage of most of us who have seen bullies, and dealt with those who by their position of power and influence have ridden rough shod over us.
I wish coach Knight the best of luck and hope he has a good life.
The sad fact is, he chose this for himself!!!!

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
let's go through some of Knights bad behavior according to ESPN:

CONVICTED of hitting a police man in '79

Makes controversial rape comments to Connie Chung.
I didn't even know about this before. Does anyone know
what he said?

"Accused" of choking a player in '97
I've seen the actuall video tape of this
incident played on ESPN. I don't know why
it says "accused" on the ESPN website.

Head butts a player in '95
I can't beleive Knight was still around after this
incident. Head butts can be fatal if it
hits a certain part of the head. Of course
"I'm sure" Knight aimed for the "safe" part
of the forehead (middle section), but it could
easily have been fatal if the player turned his
head slightly to avoid Knight's aggresive behavior.

IronMike

Jun 24, 2000
403 - Knight used the old line that a woman ought to just relax and enjoy the rape.
Bye the way, what's the problem with Ubid?

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
That rape comment is just way out of line.
I dunno the total context of the quote,
but I don't see how that comment can
be appropriate in any professional context.

As for UBID, I am just pissed at their shipping charges.
I have never shopped with them, but a few of my friends
where charged $109 shipping for a desk chair with
a winning bid of $15.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
403Forbidden

<< No, if you even tried to choke me, I would kick you so hard in the nuts. I'd do it twice just for good measure...you'd be the one crying to your mommy >>

Is a reply here necessary?

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000

<< Is a reply here necessary? >>

...only if you feel like backing up your Pro-Knight statements
with real evidence rather than relying on the lame excuse
that &quot;the media&quot; is biased.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Okay, so my point here is that the hundreds of people who have played for him, most are enjoying a good life right now, have a good education or at least the a good oppurtunity to be educated. As a result, they've turned out to be good people as a result of disciplinary actions. So give credit to Bobby Knight for providing to be a good mentor, coach, and leader, and credit him for changing and inspiring the lives of hundreds of people. Obviously, you're not going to here this from the media, who goes and makes a list of the worst things he's ever done in his life.

On the other side of the coin, there's a handful of things he's done in 30 years that can be considered bad by his critics and other people. What has happened to a result of these people? Well as far as I can tell, none were traumatized for life and have gone on with their lives without much ill effects, except for some gained attention. And if there were long term effects, you can be sure the great news media of the world would be on his tail for that as well.

Can you really say the good he's done doesn't outweigh the bad?

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000

<< Okay, so my point here is that the hundreds of people who have played for him, most are enjoying a good life right now, have a good education or at least the a good oppurtunity to be educated. As a result, they've turned out to be good people as a result of disciplinary actions. So give credit to Bobby Knight for providing to be a good mentor, coach, and leader, and credit him for changing and inspiring the lives of hundreds of people. >>

Most people turn out to be well behaved productive citizens NORMALLY. Why
are people giving Knight credit for this? I consider myself a productive citizen,
and I didn't need Knight to show me the ropes. What's so damn special about him?

Are you saying that all of the kids that played for Knight have been from troubled
homes w/o caring parents, and that it was soley Knight who turned their lives around?

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000

<< On the other side of the coin, there's a handful of things he's done in 30 years that can be considered bad by his critics and other people. What has happened to a result of these people? Well as far as I can tell, none were traumatized for life and have gone on with their lives without much ill effects, except for some gained attention. >>

Well I've done alot of good things in my short life. By your logic, I should be able to
punch you in the gut and get away with it since punching you in the gut will probably
not traumatize you for life.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
<< Most people turn out to be well behaved productive citizens NORMALLY. >>

What kind of magical world do you live in?

<< Are you saying that all of the kids that played for Knight have been from troubled
homes w/o caring parents, and that it was soley Knight who turned their lives around? >>

Well unfortunately, not all people have had good influences in their life as you obviously have. How do people gain character? By a mentor of course. A kid growing up lacking a mentor may deter from an otherwise good life, and start hanging around a wrong crowd who then influence him. A bad mentor will overshadow no mentor, but I believe a good mentor will overshadow a bad one. That's what Knight is. A person who is lost is seeking guidance whether or not he thinks he needs it. Knight has time and again been the guidance.

<<Well I've done alot of good things in my short life. By your logic, I should be able to
punch you in the gut and get away with it since punching you in the gut will probably
not traumatize you for life>>

Since you're into metaphors let me give some to you.

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. He in fact had an alleged affair with one of them. Does that outweigh all the good things he's done for the creation of our country?

Or say we found out that Martin Luther King, Jr. had allegedly snapped one day, got angry at a woman, and threw something past her head. <gasp> Well then his legacy would just come to shambles now wouldn't it?

But to answer your question, if you had say, rescued 20 children from a burning fire and sustained burns to 70% of your body as a result, I'd definitely honor you. And if you punched me in the gut I'd get a little upset about it, but unless you were to cut my arm off with a knife or something, I wouldn't old anything against you. I'm sure I must've done something bad to deserve it, and we all make mistakes don't we? We get angry, we have emotion, we are, human.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<The only difference is, the father's actions aren't video taped 24 hours a day. Unless you've seen 100% of all his practices (which I don't think any of can say we've done), you wouldn't be able to make a fair judgement on how he treats his players. And from a court of law standpoint, no kid has been convicted him of beating them to a pulp, or strangling them to death. >>

You are bailing water in a sinking ship. It makes no sense to defend Knights actions.
If you choose not to see the bad things he has done, then you choose to be blind.

<<Have you heard a story on one of the big national news station say something similar to the stuff I just wrote, about all his good stuff? Obviously if the media isn't going to mention it, no one will know about it. The average guy in his house who watches the news occasionally will think, &quot;what a b*tch, he should be thrown in jail&quot;.>>

You obviously don't get the point. Look at the whole picture. The BAD things Knight has done would have gotten him fired long, long ago from any regular job. You know what he has done, don't make me look them all up and spell them out for you.
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT GOOD THINGS HE DOES/HAS DONE IF HE TURNS AROUND AND DOES SOMETHING BAD LATER.
DOING A GOOD DEED OR 10 GOOD DEEDS DOESN'T MAKE IT OK TO DO A BAD DEED LATER.

<<What bad behavior are you referring to exactly? I don't konw about other schools, but my HIGH SCHOOL basketball coach, would NEVER go through a practice without letting out the F word at least a few times, and that was on a good day. Of course it was never directed toward anyone specifically, but it's still the same matter. >>

What bad behavior? You're kidding, right? Oh, how about throwing a chair across the court, being arrested in Puerto Rico, Cursing out more people of the media and that work with him than anyone can keep count of, oh yes, one of his sons is his manager....he broke his nose on a hunting trip. Real class there.
How about the female faculty member he came across the desk after and cursed up and down? She told of it, he admits it.

Any one of these incidents should've been grounds for firing. There are many more I can't think of right now, and I'm sure many more nobody knows about yet.
These examples are much worse than an occasional &quot;F&quot; word.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<<< uh...what father would choke his kids? >> Not Saint Bobby Knight, he just breaks their noses.

<<Did he strangle his player? Did he abuse him in a way that resulted in career threatining injuries? Did the incident traumatize his player for the rest of his life?>>

It doesn't matter if it hurt the player or traumatized him, you don't jack up other people and get away with it. He's lucky the player didn't beat the crap out of him.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000

<< What kind of magical world do you live in?
>>

Uh wait a minute. Are you saying that the majiroty of the citizens in this
country are not normal well adjusted productive citizens? And even
if you beleive that most people in the USA are not productive citizens, do you
beleive that it takes a &quot;mentor&quot; like Knight to make productive citizens?

The fact is:
Most people ARE normal well adjusted productive citizens.

Parents are in charge of raising kids properly.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<Makes controversial rape comments to Connie Chung.
I didn't even know about this before. Does anyone know
what he said?>>

This is where I have to defend Knight, even though I am glad he was fired.
Connie Chung's show that aired these comments showed them way, way out of context. In fact, Knight was talking about bad refereeing, and, referring to a game when all the calls were going against you said &quot;if rape is inevitable, why not lie back and enjoy it?&quot;.
Knight says that right after that comment, he told Chung that he thought it might not sound right, so they retaped that part.....but guess what....They aired it anyway.
He asked them not to air it because he thought it wouldn't come across the way he meant it, or out of context, and is certainly did. Everyone thought he was really talking about rape.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000

<< Since you're into metaphors let me give some to you.

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. He in fact had an alleged affair with one of them. Does that outweigh all the good things he's done for the creation of our country?

Or say we found out that Martin Luther King, Jr. had allegedly snapped one day, got angry at a woman, and threw something past her head. <gasp> Well then his legacy would just come to shambles now wouldn't it?
>>

Those situations are different because those people are dead and
they did their deeds in a different era. If they were doing those bad deeds
today, they should be treated accordingly.

If Thomas Jefferson were alive today and we found out he is currently owning slaves
we should not only punish him, but exile him out of the US. But he is dead now, so there's
no use in trying to punish him like Indiana should punish Knight (i.e. legally prosecute him).

I'm not denying the great things the people have done (Knight, Jefferson, King). But if
ANY of them were found to break the law, they should be punished.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. He in fact had an alleged affair with one of them. Does that outweigh all the good things he's done for the creation of our country?>>

Not relevant. Slavery was legal then, and perfectly acceptable. The affair, as you say, was &quot;alleged&quot;. Nothing Knight has done is alleged, it's all there for anyone to see.

<<Or say we found out that Martin Luther King, Jr. had allegedly snapped one day, got angry at a woman, and threw something past her head. <gasp> Well then his legacy would just come to shambles now wouldn't it?>>

Still not relevant...why? Because we find this stuff out decades after the fact. Knight's actions are usually known immediately.
Besides, I'd bet if Dr. King were caught on tape back then doing what you said, he would've been apologizing for months afterward. Show me where Knight has done anything other than pay lip service to any apology....don't bother, you can't.

<<But to answer your question, if you had say, rescued 20 children from a burning fire and sustained burns to 70% of your body as a result, I'd definitely honor you. And if you punched me in the gut I'd get a little upset about it, but unless you were to cut my arm off with a knife or something, I wouldn't old anything against you. I'm sure I must've done something bad to deserve it, and we all make mistakes don't we? We get angry, we have emotion, we are, human.>>

I don't care what you have done in the past. If we work together, and we have an argument, and you punch me in the gut, I will: first-whip your a$$, then we'll see about getting you fired or severely disciplined.

<< Okay, so my point here is that the hundreds of people who have played for him, most are enjoying a good life right now, have a good education or at least the a good oppurtunity to be educated. As a result, they've turned out to be good people as a result of disciplinary actions. So give credit to Bobby Knight for providing to be a good mentor, coach, and leader, and credit him for changing and inspiring the lives of hundreds of people. >>

Yeah, and??? So has just about every other college coach in the country, but they didn't act like Knight does. Nobody ever said his methods don't work....then again, nobody says Dean Smith's methods don't work, either, and he has not only the strongest ex-player &quot;family&quot; but has won far more then Knight.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
<< It makes no sense to defend Knights actions. >>

But it makes sense to criticize him? Excuse me for looking at the good in the world, or for looking at the glass being half full.

<< If you choose not to see the bad things he has done, then you choose to be blind. >>

Replace bad with good and you can describe yourself...

<< The BAD things Knight has done would have gotten him fired long, long ago from any regular job. >>

A regular job? Is Knight a regular person? I'm not saying he's above the law, but with all the things he's done, he deserves a better way to go.

<< Oh, how about throwing a chair across the court >>

<gasp> And I bet he didn't apologize to the floor he hit for the scratch marks it caused

<< being arrested in Puerto Rico >>

What was it for exactly?

<< Cursing out more people of the media and that work with him than anyone can keep count of >>

Yes, handling the media hasn't been one of his strong points in life. But if I had a bunch of media guys asking the same freakin' question to me day in day out I would cuss at everyone I saw. Not that it's excusable of course.

<< oh yes, one of his sons is his manager....he broke his nose on a hunting trip. Real class there. >>

On purpose? Did he actually grab a tree branch, swing it across his son's nose causing it to break?

<< How about the female faculty member he came across the desk after and cursed up and down? She told of it, he admits it. >>

Unless you have a FULL, 100% account of EXACTLY everything that happened there, and the events preceding it, then obviously the statement is just a small piece of what happened, and more media propaganda, such as the Connie Chung statement which you mentioned.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I don't think it's too much to ask for a grown man to act in a civilized or at least decent manner toward other human beings.

I think that argument about someone doing some good things so let's excuse his being an a**hole at so many other times is absolutely ridiculous! We should expect people to always try to do the right thing and if they don't, they should be held accountable. That includes everyone, no matter how rich, powerful, or successful. Why lower basic expectations of humanity for them?

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<<< oh yes, one of his sons is his manager....he broke his nose on a hunting trip. Real class there. >>

On purpose? Did he actually grab a tree branch, swing it across his son's nose causing it to break?>>

No, I think he punched him. Either way, Knight and his son both acknowledged the incident and the fact that Knight did it on purpose.

<< How about the female faculty member he came across the desk after and cursed up and down? She told of it, he admits it. >>

Unless you have a FULL, 100% account of EXACTLY everything that happened there, and the events preceding it, then obviously the statement is just a small piece of what happened, and more media propaganda, such as the Connie Chung statement which you mentioned>>

<<Yes, handling the media hasn't been one of his strong points in life. But if I had a bunch of media guys asking the same freakin' question to me day in day out I would cuss at everyone I saw. Not that it's excusable of course.>>

I know what you mean here, but it seems every other coach in every other sport in America manages to handle the same stupid questions without causing a scene.

You still don't get it.....it doesn't matter WHY he did it...just that he DID. It is not acceptable to treat a co-worker or anyone else like that, no matter what the co-worker said or did. BTW, regarding that incident, Knight was totally unprovoked, and has since admitted it. In fact, he apologized to the lady, not that it makes it ok.
<< being arrested in Puerto Rico >>

What was it for exactly?>>

Striking a police officer. He was convicted since he would never go back to face trial.

<<

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
I liked Bobby Knight. He is not a saint by any means. But, he is a basketball genius and he does care about his players.

Maybe he should have been fired for some of the other things he has done. But, this whole incident stinks. I find it to be more than coincidence that the accuser is the stepson of one of Knight's biggest critics, who is an unemployed radio talk-show host.

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
I played Division 1 football and I can tell you firsthand that there are a lot of coaches like Bobby Knight. Ive seen coaches throw things(both at players &amp; away from them), grab them violently, swear every word imaginable at them, and many other things that would shock some people. Thats the way it is-you deal with. Sure, I(as well as others)dont like being humiliated in front of the rest of the team when this happens, but the coaches do this because IT WORKS. Those who are team players learn from this and try to correct their mistake(&quot;me myself &amp; I&quot; players have problems with this kind of coaching). I saw the video of coach Knight grabbing the player in the neck area-it wasnt a violent choke-it was an attention getter. I dont think he deserved getting fired. Lets face it, the media hates Bobby Knight because Bobby Knight hates most reporters-and a lot of them were screaming bloody murder that coaches that used tactics like Knight to get their point across have no place in sports. However, I do agree he should have realized that he was put on a zero tolerance probation, thus he is under the microscope constantly and he should have thought of this before he grabbed that kid's arm. I also agree that he needs to control his temper-he tends to let loose in the public, while most other coaches dont. To me, the media seems to portray him as the ONLY coach who yells, grabs, and throws things at his players-thats simply not true. There are many other coaches out there that ,if the media wanted to, they could dig up as much-if not more-&quot;dirt&quot; that they dug up on Bobby Knight.